Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:42 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,187,103 times

Advertisements

My car does not move unless the seat belts are buckled. It's that simple. I've had friends get in the car and I will simple not turn the car on until their belts are buckled. I get some funny looks cause I just sit there but then they realize I am sitting waiting on them and they typically look a bit sheepish. The ones that look clueless and have to be told, usually go "but I usually don't wear one". My response is but you will in my car. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times
Near drive without mine on, and that goes for the passengers too!

Just had a horrible accident happen in the town where I now live. Pregnant lady and her unborn baby died. She along with her husband were not wearing seatbelts. Their two young children in the rear seat were thankfully strapped in.
It just doesn't make sense to me ... strap your kids in but not yourself.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:03 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
My car does not move unless the seat belts are buckled. It's that simple. I've had friends get in the car and I will simple not turn the car on until their belts are buckled. I get some funny looks cause I just sit there but then they realize I am sitting waiting on them and they typically look a bit sheepish. The ones that look clueless and have to be told, usually go "but I usually don't wear one". My response is but you will in my car. Liz
I was in a car accident where the car rolled several times...I would have been ejected out the windshield had I not been wearing my seat belt or so the Sheriff's Deputy told me.

NOW, my daughter only in the last 6 months started riding in the front seat with me...she is 10 now but tall for her age...

My car doesn't move either unless everyone in the car has a seatbelt on, backseat included. My Expedition can carry 8 people and there are belts for everyone.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,704 times
The only time I don't is when I'm driving in the driveway itself, which is pretty long, and then only if I'm not going on the public roads. Even then sometimes I forget I'm only going a quarter mile or so and put on the seatbelt. Otherwise I feel naked without it.

When I was 17 I took my younger sister and her friends to the movies once and they were all very unhappy that I made them wear a seatbelt even in the back seat. When we left the theater to go home, one of her friends refused to put on her seatbelt and taunted me with, "What are you going to do? Leave me here?" I told her no but that we weren't going to go anywhere and if we're late then it's her fault.

That took about half an hour and she finally capitulated and put on her seatbelt. We got home late and my mother was not happy but, for once, my sister stood up for me and confirmed my story. My mother was suspicious anyway but the next morning she got a call from the mothers of the other two girls. Both of them arrived at their homes and complained to their parents how I made them late by making them put on seatbelts. Well, their parents called my mother and promptly complimented her on how responsible I was and how their girls could drive with me any time.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Only time I ever question about wearing a seat belt is when Im going around a very high steep mountain. My theory is if I go off the mountain in the car I want to be thrown out of the car hopefully early in the fall instead of rolling in the car all the way to bottom or burn up in it as it catch fire.

I cannot ride in a car without wearing one however it just doesnt feel right. Kinda like when you cant find your watch it just feels weird.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:28 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I most always wear it, but find that in some vehicles, it is extremely uncomfortable- to the point where I will not wear it (mostly pick-up trucks). I am 5'3", and many seat belts (even on the "shortest" setting) come across my neck and feel like they are choking me.
Oh yes! I am 5' 1/2" and even at the lowest positions, the belt crosses my neck. I really hate to think what would happen in an accident. I usually try to to wear it, but I wish the car manufacturers would include clips or something for us shorties.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:54 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Angry move over, I'm trying to avoid your accident!

I was just driving the freeways today when I noticed a car pulling up beside me on the left, drop back a little and then move back up again. I notice that the car did this several times without giving it a thought. I glanced over to see if the driver had a problem and they did. She was not wearing a seat belt; however she was talking on the cell phone and smoking a cigarette while driving. I dropped back to get out of her way because I knew this lady was some kind of a nut. I kept an eye on her car and saw that she continued to do this type of driving for a number of miles in heavy traffic. Each time coming up close to the rear bumper of the car in front of her. All at the speeds of 65-75 mph, after a while she was far ahead of me and I couldn’t be more thankful.

I can’t control other drivers but I can control me and my vehicle, I’ve found that it’s best to get away from them and let them go. You’ll see ‘em up the highway a few miles or so and you got’a say thank god I wasn’t in their accident.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:54 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Oh yes! I am 5' 1/2" and even at the lowest positions, the belt crosses my neck. I really hate to think what would happen in an accident. I usually try to to wear it, but I wish the car manufacturers would include clips or something for us shorties.

I don't think the clip would work. If you are saying that the seatbelt comes across your neck instead of your-shoulder or arm, I'd cheat. Build that seat up with a foam pad or maybe a pillow and cover that with a seat cover. Then, not only will you be able to wear the seat belt correctly- you'll be able to see out the window better. Am I right?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:08 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,645 times
It's good to hear that so many of you wear your seatbelt. Some people will argue the fact by saying that it's their choice. It's an awful thing when an officer has to knock on your family member's door and tell them that their loved one was killed in an accident. Since MOST peoples lives are saved, buckle up. If not for yourself, do it for your loved one. Also remember that many people crash even when they are close to home. Once you get use to it, you'll feel strange not wearing it. Also remember that the airbag will hurt less if you are restrained. Fatal car wrecks are the worst to deal with because you know that the person was alive just minutes ago. Anyway, I won't bore you any longer. Be safe.

Last edited by Miami Vice; 06-29-2007 at 12:35 AM..

Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
They make an attachment that you can put on the seat belt so it will be re-directed...its normally used for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive