Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

OK, the time is coming to get a new (more accurately, used) automobile to replace the aging Jetta and/or Saab 900. I want a car with guts and AWD. The wife wants a Mazda. I've got my eye on a Legacy GT, specifically a spec.B. But the wife wants a Mazda. I don't like FWD cars; and where AWD cars are concerned, I greatly prefer not to have one that is FWD-biased. Meanwhile, the wife wants a Mazda. I prefer a longitudinally mounted well-balanced engine (such as a Subaru boxer) versus a transverse-mounted inline 4. On the other hand, the wife wants a Mazda.

So, to summarize...

My priorities: an AWD car that is at at least 50/50 torque, if not slightly biased toward the rear, with a smooth, longitudinally-mounted engine.

Wife's priorities: Mazda.

Now, I'm highly inclined to give the wife what she wants, especially after what she's put up with while I went through grad school, combined with the fact that I've picked our last 4 cars mostly without her input. And to get what she wants while still retaining at least a sliver of what I want, a Mazdaspeed6 will do just fine. But I want to make sure I'm not missing any major pitfalls of this car. Yes, I've heard it's a little loud and unruly on the highway, but I presume it won't be any worse than our '95 Saab and I know it will be whisper-quiet compared to our modified-with-a-fart-can VR6 Jetta, so that's not a major concern. I know the AWD system is considerably more reactive than proactive, but it will still be an improvement over the FWD-only cars we've been driving for the last 5 years. In other words, I've already come to grips with these compromises; and to her, a MS6 won't represent a compromise at all. [ETA: I take that back, she prefers an automatic to a stick but I refuse to relent on that point until we can agree on a car equipped with a dual-clutch auto-manual that absolutely obeys the driver's commands in manual mode. Yes, that rules you out, Volkswagen, and that pisses me off. ]

So, are there any alarm bells I should be aware of before zeroing in on a MS6? Rumors abound about engines grenading at around 60K, turbo seals that are fond of retiring at 30K, etc. Is this just internet chatter or is there any truth to this?

Last edited by Drover; 08-31-2010 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:46 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
It sounds like you have made up your mind... now to decide if what you want is more important than making your wife happy. We cannot tell you how to make that decision.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It sounds like you have made up your mind... now to decide if what you want is more important than making your wife happy. We cannot tell you how to make that decision.
You clearly missed the direction toward which my mind made up.

So, do you have any advice with regard to purchasing an MS6 and its upsides and downfalls vs. its competitors, or would you rather continue to play armchair marriage counselor?

Last edited by Drover; 08-31-2010 at 06:13 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
Buy what will bring you happiness. The Mazda.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Buy what will bring you happiness. The Mazda.
Like I said, that's my inclination, but I don't want to walk into this decision without being informed. Marital bliss only goes so far when the family finances are being spent to repair an ill-conceived vehicular purchase. I have a favorable opinion of Mazda myself based on those that I've owned (albeit 15-20 model years ago) but I'm a little concerned about what I've heard regarding the MS6 -- and Mazda's 2.3 turbo engine in general -- and I wouldn't mind some informed feedback.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:55 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times
i'd say buy two "new to you" cars. get the mazda to make her happy, and just happen to pick up your car as well.

why not make both of you happy?

i'm really with you on that subaru. i can't say i could voluntarily walk onto a mazda lot with that a spec-B on the brain.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You clearly missed the direction toward which my mind made up.

So, do you have any advice with regard to purchasing an MS6 and its upsides and downfalls vs. its competitors, or would you rather continue to play armchair marriage counselor?
Sorry about my snappy response, cdelena. I was extremely tired and still couldn't get to sleep last night/this morning and it was making me extremely cranky. I shouldn't have snapped at you like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
i'd say buy two "new to you" cars. get the mazda to make her happy, and just happen to pick up your car as well.

why not make both of you happy?

i'm really with you on that subaru. i can't say i could voluntarily walk onto a mazda lot with that a spec-B on the brain.
It's just not in the budget to get two cars in that price range. Otherwise I probably would.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:10 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times
Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 / Mazda Atenza Forum
Search this forum for Speed 6 issues. I don't think you can wrong with either car. Subaru's are huge here in Colorado and someday I'll probably have to trade in my Mazda 6 wagon for an Outback. But front drive + snow tires work pretty darn good, and I like having a wagon, not a mini-suv. I wish I could have an AWD Mazdaspeed 6 wagon .

Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Welp, it's official --We pick up our Speed6 this weekend.

I tried my damnedest to to buy a nice, low-mileage Volvo S60 R. I mostly wanted The S60 R for its selectable suspension because it would be nice to have a cushy ride for navigating the crater-addled streets of Chicago while being able to firm it up on sweeping highways. The extra cylinder, 25HP and 15 lb-ft would have been nice too. But the seller was a PITA to deal with so I finally abandoned the effort.

So once the Volvo was out of the cards, it only made sense to cave to the wife's desires. And at the end of the day, a Speed6 with the GT package and 33K miles is not a bad consolation prize for me either.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Congrats on the purchase, I think it would be a fun ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive