Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

I don't make a habit of riding in NJ, but to get from NH to Md it seems the choices are limited. My in laws live just south east of balt, and it is hell getting there or leaving there.

Sitting on a bike and filling up to me is a ROYAL SIN! I see guys and ladies doing that all the time and it makes me cringe. If one thing goes wrong, they are toast litterally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
If one thing goes wrong, they are toast litterally.
LOL.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 AM

1200Rt, I am a x foreign car tech Euro cars mainly. and I have spilled gas on my pants and or other articals of clothing many times in the past. Gasloine held against skin will begin to burn your flesh with no fire at all. Of course i washed up and got a new set of clothes right away, and aired out the gas soaked clothes far from my bay.

I just wonder how many folks end up with a gas soaked crotch before they get it figured out. It won't ever be me.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:11 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
1200Rt, I am a x foreign car tech Euro cars mainly. and I have spilled gas on my pants and or other articals of clothing many times in the past. Gasloine held against skin will begin to burn your flesh with no fire at all. Of course i washed up and got a new set of clothes right away, and aired out the gas soaked clothes far from my bay.

I just wonder how many folks end up with a gas soaked crotch before they get it figured out. It won't ever be me.
I have had gas wick down my arm into my armpits before... not pleasant.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 PM

Yeah been there too, getting tanks out of cars that needed new tanks.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:30 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akp1121 View Post
AND I pay less than the countries current average for gas prices.

Just curious, what does it feel like knowing you pay extra do pump it yourself?!!
Don't pay extra, I'm paying well under the national average as well. Plus I don't have to worry about some flunky that can only get a job pumping gas, scratching the paint or doing something else stupid.

Just curious, how does it feel living in a Nanny state that thinks you are too stupid to figure out how to fill up your own vehicle?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
I did pump my own gas in NJ too... The attendant feared getting his teeth knocked out if he chipped the paint on my motorcycle, and thar's no way I am gonna sit on a bike and watch it filled in the first place. That's very dangerous.
It must be very satisfying to know that everyone who crosses your path fears getting their teeth knocked out. How often do people make your day? What do you do to the bank teller, if she doesn't let you go around the counter and take your own money out of the drawer, so it doesn't get finger smudged?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 PM

LOL 88 ya think you got me pegged huh? That gas pump attendant said that to me right up front, I didn't make any threat a bit. Maybe it was the black leather jacket with all my state patches or something, but I didn't say anything more than Good morning 'avin' a nice day?

Out in Kansas I got gas at around 106 degrees, and pulled away from the pumps so others could get gassed up. I had no choice to leave my shady spot under the roof over them either so i sat in the hot sun dripping. My wife was inside getting cold waters.

This guy pulls up with a little red chevy S-10 and gives me that dead biker stare people do, and wouldn't quit. Finally I got all puffed up and very evil, and in a loud ruff tone like the wolf in little red ridin' hood said Quit the stare man, You got a problem or what?, actting the part he could see.

He muttered in a low tone I almost couldn't hear, that his engine was running to fast. Still staring. I told him to shut the engine off and pop the hood, and he shook his head No but did anyway.

With the hood up I saw a big vac line off the intake manifold, which I assumed was the reason his idle was so high. I used my little red swiss knife to loosen the clamp and replaced the tubing on the mount. Tightened it and closed the hood. I told him again to quit starring as he was the whole time so far, and try the engine again. Again he shook his head NO, but did as i requested.

When the engine came to life and idled correctly, he grinned, and i said See there, angels come in strange packages, and will you now please quit staring!

i admitt there is something to that black leather, since i got hurt in a crash in South Dakota breaking 3 ribs. Out of that jacket I was meat, aka road kill to wanna be thugs, but in it I was a god..... But I don't and never did go around trying to be a bad A$$.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 08-31-2010 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 01:37 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
It's gotta be NJ. Gas prices in Oregon are the 5th highest in the nation right now.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:56 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
If you live in the States, that either means Oregon or New Jersey. And if it's the latter ... well, that's like the first positive thing anyone has said about New Jersey.
I know that Oregon is the only state that doesn't have self-service gas stations, and I thought New Jersey did away with full-service and they started allowing self-service stations sometime in the late 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive