U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:19 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,897,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp1121 View Post
AND I pay less than the countries current average for gas prices.

Just curious, what does it feel like knowing you pay extra do pump it yourself?!!
Pumping my own gas is a small price I'll pay gladly at every fill-up to not have to live in New Jersey.

How does it feel to pay more than the national average for damn near everything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 01:36 AM

864 posts, read 2,985,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I live in Oregon and thankfully I am on the border of Oregon and Washington. I drive over the bridge into Washington and pump my own gas. I do not like the fact it is illegal to pump my own gas in Oregon. It causes lines waiting to buy gas, it takes up time. One has to wait for the attendant. Sometimes he puts the gas in and then gives me a slip to go wait in another line to pay. I have no idea how anyone would prefer the time consuming method Oregon has. Also the gas always costs more than the rest of the country on the west coast, so at least let us pump our own gas Oregon.
Indeed my friend....one of the dumbest laws EVER. And what annoys me even more is that people who live here think the government is saving them from some terribly unpleasant and unsafe task. Thankfully the station I go to is cool and the guy there lets me do it myself.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 AM

371 posts, read 771,294 times
Filled my bike in NJ a few times...Each time the guy took the pump nozzle and handed it to me...Each and every time...All my riding friends say they get it handed to them also...I have yet to see a bike being filled in NJ by the attendant...Course that does not mean it's not done just that I've never actually seen it...

Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Would you also prefer to shop at a grocery store, where you stand at the counter and tell the clerk "I'd like a box of corn flakes, please", and he takes one down off the shelf and puts it in a bag and says "will that be all"?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,649,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I know how to pump gas, and I don't see the thrill in doing so during a July or August heat wave nor in a January or February snowstorm.

When I was a kid, the attendant at the Esso station pumped gas, checked the oil, cleaned the windshield and said, "Have a good day, Sir" to my father.

Why should I consider a lack of service, no service, a plus?
I agree there is no thrill in pumping gas. But I think it is ridiculous that the state government regulates how gas is pumped in New Jersey.

You know of course that is simply interference into the free market - and a job protection program.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,649,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
The idea of anyone pumping their own gas is antiquated. I say leave it to the professionals.
"Professionals?"

What is "professional" about pumping gas? Are the attendants somehow better at it than Joe citizen? Does NJ certify gas station attendents that they are qualified?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,841,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
"Professionals?"

What is "professional" about pumping gas? Are the attendants somehow better at it than Joe citizen? Does NJ certify gas station attendents that they are qualified?
Nope...they are the either the 17 yr olds or the 30 yr old dropouts. Nothing pro about them.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM

8,159 posts, read 26,451,047 times
Sounds like government-created jobs at its finest.

I paid $2.39/gal on the east side of Houston today, pretty sure it isn't cheaper where you aren't allowed to pump your own gas. When I visited Oregon it was roughly 40 cents higher than Texas/Houston.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:31 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,671,476 times
I have been in retail in self serve convience stores here in South Florida for the past 15 years.

To watch our customers from New Jersey attempt to fill up their tanks is worth a million snapshots and provides fodder for many jokebooks.

Firstly, a lot of these folks will ask our employees to fill their tanks for them, letting us know they are from New Jersey and they have nice men pump their fuel for them. Our response is God bless New Jersey and all their housewives and Snookies, but this is Florida, and unless you are infirm or handicapped it is all self service state. We let our customers from NJ know that if they want full serve there are few stations that have special full serve islands at an additional cost of about sixty cents a gallon.

Honestly, the whining and bickering that we receive is amazing on self serve. Welcome to the mainland and the fact that most of us have been pumping our own fuel for fourty years or so. An amazing aside to our friends from NJ that self serve is not rocket science and is clean if you know how to do it.

Self serve stations are not equipped here to have one or two people constantly go out to the pumps to contantly pump fuel. Everybody is down to the bare bones on employees, and self serve stations cannot afford to hire extra people to pump fuel.

To our friends from NJ---love you----but nothing special about you, so please conform and take two minutes to learn how to pump gasoline------------if you can own a Bentley, two homes,and take worldwide vacations you can pump your own fuel.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 PM

10,091 posts, read 35,841,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I have been in retail in self serve convience stores here in South Florida for the past 15 years.

To watch our customers from New Jersey attempt to fill up their tanks is worth a million snapshots and provides fodder for many jokebooks.

Firstly, a lot of these folks will ask our employees to fill their tanks for them, letting us know they are from New Jersey and they have nice men pump their fuel for them. Our response is God bless New Jersey and all their housewives and Snookies, but this is Florida, and unless you are infirm or handicapped it is all self service state. We let our customers from NJ know that if they want full serve there are few stations that have special full serve islands at an additional cost of about sixty cents a gallon.

Honestly, the whining and bickering that we receive is amazing on self serve. Welcome to the mainland and the fact that most of us have been pumping our own fuel for fourty years or so. An amazing aside to our friends from NJ that self serve is not rocket science and is clean if you know how to do it.

Self serve stations are not equipped here to have one or two people constantly go out to the pumps to contantly pump fuel. Everybody is down to the bare bones on employees, and self serve stations cannot afford to hire extra people to pump fuel.

To our friends from NJ---love you----but nothing special about you, so please conform and take two minutes to learn how to pump gasoline------------if you can own a Bentley, two homes,and take worldwide vacations you can pump your own fuel.
LOL...great post!
I imagine is great entertainment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive