U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:41 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,628,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Nope...they are the either the 17 yr olds or the 30 yr old dropouts. Nothing pro about them.
Of course not. I was being sarcastic!

The full service gas in NJ is simply a job protection scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,144,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Pumping my own gas is a small price I'll pay gladly at every fill-up to not have to live in New Jersey.

How does it feel to pay more than the national average for damn near everything else?
Just as good as it feels to live in a state with a median income consistently in the top 2.

Anyone that brags about the low cost of gas in NJ needs to remind themselves of what they pay for car insurance.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:04 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
The original objection to self-service was that there was nobody out at the pump island with the responsibility for safety. Leaving the general public to pump gas unsupervised could result in spilled gas, people smoking while pumping, all sorts of things. Mishaps happen rarely, if ever, but with the shrill institutional fear-mongering in our society, I'm surprised it hasn't been banned yet just on that basis.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 PM

864 posts, read 2,983,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The original objection to self-service was that there was nobody out at the pump island with the responsibility for safety. Leaving the general public to pump gas unsupervised could result in spilled gas, people smoking while pumping, all sorts of things. Mishaps happen rarely, if ever, but with the shrill institutional fear-mongering in our society, I'm surprised it hasn't been banned yet just on that basis.
That's pretty much why Oregon passed the self-service ban decades ago. This is a HUGE nanny state....I'm amazed we're even trusted to breathe on our own without government assistance.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:00 AM

1,964 posts, read 4,431,452 times
Is there a gas station cartel in NJ and OR that's preventing lower-priced self-serve pumps from operating? This is as bizarre as the state-owned liquor stores in Penn. And does Costco even bother with fuel stations at their stores in affected states?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:29 AM

29,609 posts, read 31,931,623 times
I can't remember a time when someone else pumped the gas. Maybe when I was a kid or something, certainly not since I started driving, and I've been driving for 35 years. I learned to do it along with learning to drive.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,815,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Of course not. I was being sarcastic!

The full service gas in NJ is simply a job protection scheme.
LOL...aren't you always?

My sis from NJ was just here over the summer with her 2 kids.....they were appalled they would actually have to exit the vehicle and pump their own fuel. If my niece asked one more time: "Where's the guy"?......

Not sure if it applies to cars...but when we fuel up the boat, "the guy", will always hand us the pump, saying they are not permitted to fuel up the boats here in Tx.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Is there a gas station cartel in NJ and OR that's preventing lower-priced self-serve pumps from operating? This is as bizarre as the state-owned liquor stores in Penn. And does Costco even bother with fuel stations at their stores in affected states?
In those states it is against the law to self serve gas.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,144,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post

Costco, Walmart & such do not have gas stations in NJ (that I am aware of).

Our cheapest gas is typically from Wawa or Hess (of the big chains). There are smaller mama papa stations cheaper. Gas is $2.27 for regular in central NJ today.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 PM

22,722 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Just as good as it feels to live in a state with a median income consistently in the top 2.

Anyone that brags about the low cost of gas in NJ needs to remind themselves of what they pay for car insurance.

I have USAA so I don't have to suffer that mess, but I really, really feel sorry for average New Jerseyan who has to pay the exorbitant insurance rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive