U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM

474 posts, read 740,192 times

Advertisements

Even worse than high insurance rates is that New Jersey ranks WORST in the nation for overall tax burden:

The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 02:29 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,150,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Even worse than high insurance rates is that New Jersey ranks WORST in the nation for overall tax burden:

The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > New Jersey
Yes, Insurance does suck here in NJ. I pay $1200/yr for my 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid (NJ Manufacturers).

But in the end it ends up working out. The income in NJ is higher than most of the US. Ive looked for work in PA, DC, MD, and a few other states up and down the coast. I'd have to settle for less than $120k outside NJ. I'm willing to pay more in insurance than settle for that low of an income.

NJ is a great state to live and work in, as long as you make efforts to vacation outside of it.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,159,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, Insurance does suck here in NJ. I pay $1200/yr for my 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid (NJ Manufacturers).

But in the end it ends up working out. The income in NJ is higher than most of the US. Ive looked for work in PA, DC, MD, and a few other states up and down the coast. I'd have to settle for less than $120k outside NJ. I'm willing to pay more in insurance than settle for that low of an income.

NJ is a great state to live and work in, as long as you make efforts to vacation outside of it.
Pay has to be high when cost of living is high, just to equal out.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:51 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,849,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Pay has to be high when cost of living is high, just to equal out.
And you end up in a higher tax bracket to boot, just for the privilege of trying to keep up with the cost of living.

But hey, at least they don't have to pump their own gas.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And you end up in a higher tax bracket to boot, just for the privilege of trying to keep up with the cost of living.

But hey, at least they don't have to pump their own gas.

That higher tax bracket is a myth. No one really pays taxes on most of their income. I put the max (49k) in my 401k alone every year. Add on other deductions and loopholes, taxes rarely break above 4 figures.

The current tax system is flawed where lower bracket people actually pay more of their income than higher bracket people. Go figure.

I dunno, having lived in NJ most my life, I like having someone else pump my gas for me. I get out of the state often enough to know how to do it myself as well. I'm particularly not a fan of the smell of gasoline, but whatever. I'll take it either way. Self-service or not.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:14 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,849,999 times
Yes, I'm sure it's a myth that those with higher incomes are in higher tax brackets.

If you have the resources to to divert 49K of your income into your 401(k) (even though the actual elective deferral maxes out at 16.5K, but whatever), then I'm sure you're also familiar with the alternative minimum tax.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:04 AM

474 posts, read 740,192 times
Quote:
That higher tax bracket is a myth. No one really pays taxes on most of their income. I put the max (49k) in my 401k alone every year. Add on other deductions and loopholes, taxes rarely break above 4 figures.

The current tax system is flawed where lower bracket people actually pay more of their income than higher bracket people. Go figure.

I dunno, having lived in NJ most my life, I like having someone else pump my gas for me. I get out of the state often enough to know how to do it myself as well. I'm particularly not a fan of the smell of gasoline, but whatever. I'll take it either way. Self-service or not.
Since the IRS limit for employee contribution is $16.5K -are you telling us that your employer matches 2 times what you put in? I haven't heard of a single company that does that.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes, I'm sure it's a myth that those with higher incomes are in higher tax brackets.

If you have the resources to to divert 49K of your income into your 401(k) (even though the actual elective deferral maxes out at 16.5K, but whatever), then I'm sure you're also familiar with the alternative minimum tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Since the IRS limit for employee contribution is $16.5K -are you telling us that your employer matches 2 times what you put in? I haven't heard of a single company that does that.

You guys are misinformed about 401k contribution limits. Only employer-sponsored 401k's are limited at $16.5k. A solo 401k is much more effective with a limit of $49k.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 PM

Location: Hate VT & hopefully moving back South someday which can't come soon enough
34 posts, read 37,224 times
Quote:
Costco, Walmart & such do not have gas stations in NJ (that I am aware of).

Our cheapest gas is typically from Wawa or Hess (of the big chains). There are smaller mama papa stations cheaper. Gas is $2.27 for regular in central NJ today.
$2.27?! GEEZ! It's $2.71 here today and that's after it dropped finally from $2.77.
Our stations here like to jack the price because we're on the border of Canada. The Canadians always come over just for gas because it's cheaper. The stations figured they could squeeze more out of them because even if they raise it it's still cheaper yet those of us who are stuck here have to suffer with the high cost. I could drive 45 minutes and get it for 5-10 cents cheaper and will fill up there if I pass by.

But to stay on topic... I like to pump my own gas. I'd find it insanely awkward if someone did it for me and no one but my family touches my car.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:58 PM

9,650 posts, read 9,482,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
Filled my bike in NJ a few times...Each time the guy took the pump nozzle and handed it to me...Each and every time...All my riding friends say they get it handed to them also...I have yet to see a bike being filled in NJ by the attendant...Course that does not mean it's not done just that I've never actually seen it...
Nah, I live in NJ and when I ride one of my bikes it is always self serve. I have never had an attendant try to pump it for me.

On the other hand, when I'm in my car in 10 degree weather, it sure is nice to sit in my heated car while someone else does the pumping. I pump my own all the time at my NY residence, and you guys are right, it isn't a big deal to pump your own, but it sure is nice during a heat wave or a snow storm to have someone else do it.

As to the people who dont like NJ, I wish a whole lot more people felt like you. It's the most heavily populated state in the country. It would be nice if some people cleared out of here.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 09-04-2010 at 11:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive