U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:05 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,464,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Is there a gas station cartel in NJ and OR that's preventing lower-priced self-serve pumps from operating?
Believe me, in NJ, they wouldn't lower the price for self serve. They would just raise the price for full serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Sounds like government-created jobs at its finest.

I paid $2.39/gal on the east side of Houston today, pretty sure it isn't cheaper where you aren't allowed to pump your own gas. When I visited Oregon it was roughly 40 cents higher than Texas/Houston.
Thats pretty close to what my local station is charging now, give or take 5 cents.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,145,602 times
i'm still waiting for the sales pitch

Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,580,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Nah, I live in NJ and when I ride one of my bikes it is always self serve. I have never had an attendant try to pump it for me.

On the other hand, when I'm in my car in 10 degree weather, it sure is nice to sit in my heated car while someone else does the pumping. I pump my own all the time at my NY residence, and you guys are right, it isn't a big deal to pump your own, but it sure is nice during a heat wave or a snow storm to have someone else do it.

As to the people who dont like NJ, I wish a whole lot more people felt like you. It's the most heavily populated state in the country. It would be nice if some people cleared out of here.
How's that when you have to turn off the engine while pumping gas? Don't you bake, sitting there in a virtual oven?

Old 09-05-2010, 03:11 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
How's that when you have to turn off the engine while pumping gas? Don't you bake, sitting there in a virtual oven?
It only takes 60 seconds or so for the pump to fill the tank on my car (20 gallon tank on sedan.) I guess a larger car will take longer. But will not long enough to bake unless you really have a poorly sealed cabin.

Also, some cars (such as my Altima Hybrid) can run the AC with the car turned off. It runs off the battery.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Honestly, when it's THAT hot out, I leave the engine running with the A/C on full blast.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:00 PM

64 posts, read 132,530 times
I have NOOOOOO problem sitting in my car while someone pumps my gas.
I also have NOOOOO problem getting out of my car & doing it myself.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,129,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It only takes 60 seconds or so for the pump to fill the tank on my car (20 gallon tank on sedan.) I guess a larger car will take longer. But will not long enough to bake unless you really have a poorly sealed cabin.
After installing and hooking up gas dispensers for the last 27 years I can say without a shadow of a doubt, there isn't a gas pump installed anywhere in the US that will pump 20 gallons in less than a minute. The upper limit set by the EPA on gasoline dispensers is 10 Gallons per minute, but I have never seen a pump that comes close to that limit. most pump at around 5-7 GPM. As for the car heating up because the cabin doesn't "seal" well is totally wrong, the interior heats up because of the amount of glass that lets the sun shine in and THAT warms the air inside, not the cold escaping.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:44 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
After installing and hooking up gas dispensers for the last 27 years I can say without a shadow of a doubt, there isn't a gas pump installed anywhere in the US that will pump 20 gallons in less than a minute. The upper limit set by the EPA on gasoline dispensers is 10 Gallons per minute, but I have never seen a pump that comes close to that limit. most pump at around 5-7 GPM. As for the car heating up because the cabin doesn't "seal" well is totally wrong, the interior heats up because of the amount of glass that lets the sun shine in and THAT warms the air inside, not the cold escaping.

I'll give you that on both accounts. But my point was that it doesn't take long enough to get gas pumped in the car for the cabin to heat up to the point where you melt. Yes, on the hottest day, it might go from 70->90 in the 5 minute wait, but how bad is 90 for a couple minutes really? If it were longer, yea, it would reach well above 100... but that simply isn't the case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive