U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 12:11 PM

2,535 posts, read 4,498,439 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at buying Nissan Quest for awhile now and we were just about to buy a 2000 w/117k miles for 4500 when I saw a dealer advertise a 2005 w/147k miles for 3950. The mileage is very high, but we are looking at things in that range anyway. Do you think it's just the mileage that accounts for the price? Or could there be something else wrong? They offer an Autocheck report free with the vehicle and they're willing to let me take it to my mechanic. I checked Kelley Blue Book and it says $11k for retail and $8k for private party value.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
A car price is the amount the seller thinks the buyer will pay for it. The first thing most buyers look at is the odometer, so the price goes down according to how many miles it has, irrespective of anything else. But yes, if the seller is asking less than half the KBB (which is mileage sensitive), I might be suspect.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:10 PM

3,190 posts, read 4,129,899 times
Take him up on the offer to see the Autocheck report and take it to a trustworthy mechanic....if it all checks out OK, and you see no other obvious problems, then perhaps he's only basing it on the mileage afterall and you have a good deal.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,695,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Take him up on the offer to see the Autocheck report and take it to a trustworthy mechanic....if it all checks out OK, and you see no other obvious problems, then perhaps he's only basing it on the mileage afterall and you have a good deal.
If it is a reputable dealer, then I agree with this comment. Do some research, including BBB check and using your local CD forum to find out about the dealer.

If they are reputable they they likely won't screw up their image for a quick sale, if they are not, then you really should beware. At least that's my opinion...

Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,724,996 times
Like I always say, not all miles are equal. If the van has been used mostly for long highway trips, say a 40 to 60 mile (or longer) 1-way commute, it could be in *excellent* condition if the maintenance has been done on time. Since people who don't know cars freak out at 150K or more miles, that can be an opportunity.

I second the motion that you get a good mechanic to check it out.

Without looking at the car in person, I can't say much more than that.

Also ask your good trusty mechanic what breaks at high miles on these cars, what that costs to fix.

Don't spend your entire budget on buying a used car, reserve some dosh for it's needs, which they all do have.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,289,913 times
It may have been in an accident that didn't show up on the autocheck report for whatever reason, it happens often. Someone with a good eye or a paintmeter could possibly tell for sure upon seeing the car.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 AM

So, here's the deal. Hubby went to look at the car last night. Like I said before, it's high miles. But it also doesn't have any upgrades. Cloth seats, manual seat adjustment, the CD player is broken (apparently very common on this vehicle...I've looked into fixes, but they are mostly high dollar. I could possibly hook my Ipod up to the radio? Not sure about that). Also, the paint on th hood has lots of little dings in it. Looks to dh that it has been used as a commuter vehicle. The area where it was inspected since it was new is about 45 miles from a large business park where a good portion of people in the area work. We think it was a commuter vehicle for someone working in that area. Interior is in excellent condition.

The othe vehicle that we are considering is the same make/model (Nissan Quest) but a 2000 instead of a 2004. It has 117k miles, older body style, perfect condition, top-of-the-line model (leather seats, moonroof, allow wheels, towing package, etc. etc,) It also has a little issue with the stereo. In this case, the electronic display doesn't work. That has been the case on every Quest we have looked at. This one also has those dinosaur tv/vhs players that they installed at that time. It's bolted to floor and might not be easy to remove.

Any opinions?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 AM

The 2005 just sold so my decision was made for me. Thanks for all the input. :-)

Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 AM

13,388 posts, read 42,724,996 times
With the problems you are finding that seem to be common in the Quest, maybe you want to consider a Hondy Odyssy, for example?

Seems to me you are doing your homework on the vehicle before buying, sadly too many people don't do this.

To me anyway, a well-used minivan is a car I would look at very carefully if for some odd reason I wanted to buy one. The people who buy them are buying them for utility, occasionally they sell on because of a divorce, kid moves out, etc. but in general the van was bought to do a job and if they want to get rid of it I have to ask if it was still doing the job it was bought to do? That and minivan people are not generally "car" people, (although the Odyssy is the minivan most acceptable to most enthusiasts) so the maintenance was probably not done up to my own august standards, to put it mildly.

Just sayin'.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
With the problems you are finding that seem to be common in the Quest, maybe you want to consider a Hondy Odyssy, for example?

Seems to me you are doing your homework on the vehicle before buying, sadly too many people don't do this.

To me anyway, a well-used minivan is a car I would look at very carefully if for some odd reason I wanted to buy one. The people who buy them are buying them for utility, occasionally they sell on because of a divorce, kid moves out, etc. but in general the van was bought to do a job and if they want to get rid of it I have to ask if it was still doing the job it was bought to do? That and minivan people are not generally "car" people, (although the Odyssy is the minivan most acceptable to most enthusiasts) so the maintenance was probably not done up to my own august standards, to put it mildly.

Just sayin'.
Actually, even though the Odyssey's are the most popular (and most expensive) choice, they have been riddled with problems particularly with the transmissions. There have been numerous recalls on the transmission, Honda fixes them and often, it seems, their 'fix' doesn't solve the issue! Problems seem to have started when they changed the body style from the '98 and prior models which was based on the Accord frame (which they knew how to make with blinders on) to a completely different, more van-like model.

They still sell well, even though I don't think they have ironed out all the issues. You would think with Honda's reputation for reliability that it would be a good choice.

I wouldn't call myself a car person, either. I just want something well-made and reliable that will carry my large family...2 adults plus 4 kids. I have asked the owners of every vehicle I've looked at for maintenance records and for the most part they have kept the vehicles well-maintained and have receipts to prove it. I think most people who drive minivans don't want a timing belt breaking on them in the middle of the highway with a van full of kids. The vehicles might take a little more wear and tear on the interior because kids aren't always careful about keeping things in perfect condition, but that doesn't have any bearing on the mechanical maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive