U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 09:04 AM

268 posts, read 381,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
So call your local crackhead, instead, next you need help...
Can't argue that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:19 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,671,678 times
Quote:
So call your local crackhead, instead, next you need help...
If those are the only two choices in the town you live in, which one are you?

Quote:
Maybe if, instead of trying to pick fights over trivial B.S. you'd stopped to think for a moment, you might've realized that the officer was behind the car with the flat tire as you approached from the rear on Northbound I-75. I'm just saying...
First you said

Hidden BEHIND the car was an officer shooting radar [your caps]

And then you said

was sitting perpendicular to (and in front of) the car with the flat tire

. . . and it's my fault for not understanding that "behind the car" and "in front of the car" both mean the same thing to you.

If you think this is "trivial BS", you shouldn't have brought it up.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-04-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,811 times
Sept. 3, 2012...Labor Day. I was driving to work in uniform (I work in a different branch of law enforcement) and had my cruise control set at 55 mph to make sure I didn't exceed the limit. A motorcycle went by me like I was sitting still, and a few seconds later I got pulled over by the Highway Patrol for 68 in a 55. When I explained to him that I was using the cruise set to 55 and asked him if he was sure he had the right vehicle his response was "You're the one on the berm aren't you?" Not only was he mistaken, he was an arrogant little p****. I have a class at the university and naturally the court appearance was set for the same time as one of my exams. Isn't it funny how the cops are never wrong and if you don't pay the fine they issue a bench warrant for your arrest. They may not come knocking on your door to take you to jail, but the next time you have a run in with them you'll be taken away and locked in a cell. When it's done by the police force it's all legal. If someone else were to use the same tactics it would be called kidnapping and racketeering.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,911,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtian View Post
Sept. 3, 2012...Labor Day. I was driving to work in uniform (I work in a different branch of law enforcement) and had my cruise control set at 55 mph to make sure I didn't exceed the limit. A motorcycle went by me like I was sitting still, and a few seconds later I got pulled over by the Highway Patrol for 68 in a 55. When I explained to him that I was using the cruise set to 55 and asked him if he was sure he had the right vehicle his response was "You're the one on the berm aren't you?" Not only was he mistaken, he was an arrogant little p****. I have a class at the university and naturally the court appearance was set for the same time as one of my exams. Isn't it funny how the cops are never wrong and if you don't pay the fine they issue a bench warrant for your arrest. They may not come knocking on your door to take you to jail, but the next time you have a run in with them you'll be taken away and locked in a cell. When it's done by the police force it's all legal. If someone else were to use the same tactics it would be called kidnapping and racketeering.
About 3 weeks ago some a-hole cop pulled me over and tried to tell me that I had run a red light when it was plain as day that I hadn't. When I protested my innocence he told me to tell it to the judge and it would be his word against min. I told him I'd gladly do so, only it wouldn't be his word against mine, it would be his word against video footage. I pointed up at the red light camera that incidentally did not flash when I crossed the intersection because my light was, you know, green, and told him I'd gladly file a FOIA request with the city to obtain the footage from that camera to take to court with me so that we could hash it out in front of the judge. He looked up at the camera, said "alright," handed me my D/L and insurance card back, he and his partner hopped back in their cruiser, and they drove off. He didn't even bother with the obligatory written warning motorists typically receive when they've managed to talk their way out of a ticket.

Usually if a Chicago cop pulls you over for a traffic violation it's because you were either driving like such a malignant imbecile that you've made it impossible for them to look the other way like they usually do (95% of Chicago cop cars/SUVs don't even have radar guns), or they use the traffic stop as a pretext to feel you out to see if you're carrying contraband. And if they have to make up an excuse to pull you over, well I suppose it's not beneath them if it's been a slow day. I normally hate the stupid red-light cameras that pock the Chicago streetscape, but this one happened to save my bacon from one of two likely scenarios: I was either gonna get a BS ticket, or I was gonna have to put up with cops trying to berate me into consenting to a search of my car. Once they realized there would be video evidence of no probable cause to pull me over and that neither a ticket nor the results of any search would stand up in court, they were outta there within 30 seconds.

But one of these days I just may get pulled over for some other BS reason and there won't be an erstwhile irritating red-light camera there to save me. This is one reason why I'm seriously considering breaking down and buying a smart phone, because there are apps out there that will keep a video record as you drive if you mount your phone on the dash, and will even keep real-time data such as time of day, speed, direction, etc., to go along with the video footage. If you already have a smart phone, I would suggest looking into apps like this so the next time some dumb cop gives you a BS ticket you at least have some evidence to the contrary.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM

7,194 posts, read 7,537,868 times
Quote:
I have a class at the university and naturally the court appearance was set for the same time as one of my exams.
Do a "trial by written deceleration" and you don't have to go to court in California.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM

6,527 posts, read 8,630,424 times
In most police departments, officers have to keep a monthly 'activity report' showing what arrests were made and what traffic tickets they gave. If their supervisor is not satisfied with what they see, they have a talk with the officer. The word 'quota' is never used, but 'Office Jones, you were not very productive last month. Can you explain your lack of 'productivity?'

Old 09-04-2012, 11:31 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,337,571 times
Quote:
what "different" branch of law enforcement do you work in?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 PM

16,502 posts, read 20,055,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
also; if you aren't speeding you wont get a ticket. amazing why people complain about speeding tickets. do you think its your right to do 80 in a 70zone?
I'll bet if I followed you, or anyone, on a city driving trip for even one hour anyday, I'd find you speeding, at some point in time. It's an impossibility with unexpected distractions, emotions.

And those that keep their eyes continually glued to the speedometer, rather than the road, are prone to accidents as well, like running someone over. Why? Their eyes were not where they're suppose to be!

I just read an article, headlined by our police chief, about the diminishing county/city funding for their department. In the article, there was a guesstimate of the self-generated income for the department for the year. Hmmm..... Quotas? You bet!!!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 AM

654 posts, read 3,036,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
About 3 weeks ago some a-hole cop pulled me over and tried to tell me that I had run a red light when it was plain as day that I hadn't. When I protested my innocence he told me to tell it to the judge and it would be his word against min. I told him I'd gladly do so, only it wouldn't be his word against mine, it would be his word against video footage. I pointed up at the red light camera that incidentally did not flash when I crossed the intersection because my light was, you know, green, and told him I'd gladly file a FOIA request with the city to obtain the footage from that camera to take to court with me so that we could hash it out in front of the judge. He looked up at the camera, said "alright," handed me my D/L and insurance card back, he and his partner hopped back in their cruiser, and they drove off. He didn't even bother with the obligatory written warning motorists typically receive when they've managed to talk their way out of a ticket.

Usually if a Chicago cop pulls you over for a traffic violation it's because you were either driving like such a malignant imbecile that you've made it impossible for them to look the other way like they usually do (95% of Chicago cop cars/SUVs don't even have radar guns), or they use the traffic stop as a pretext to feel you out to see if you're carrying contraband. And if they have to make up an excuse to pull you over, well I suppose it's not beneath them if it's been a slow day. I normally hate the stupid red-light cameras that pock the Chicago streetscape, but this one happened to save my bacon from one of two likely scenarios: I was either gonna get a BS ticket, or I was gonna have to put up with cops trying to berate me into consenting to a search of my car. Once they realized there would be video evidence of no probable cause to pull me over and that neither a ticket nor the results of any search would stand up in court, they were outta there within 30 seconds.

But one of these days I just may get pulled over for some other BS reason and there won't be an erstwhile irritating red-light camera there to save me. This is one reason why I'm seriously considering breaking down and buying a smart phone, because there are apps out there that will keep a video record as you drive if you mount your phone on the dash, and will even keep real-time data such as time of day, speed, direction, etc., to go along with the video footage. If you already have a smart phone, I would suggest looking into apps like this so the next time some dumb cop gives you a BS ticket you at least have some evidence to the contrary.
As a trucker, this may come in very handy since many car drivers like to cut us off and then try to blame us for the incident.....and since I have more at stake having a CDL, that's something I surely can't afford. Do you know what app that can do this?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,911,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
As a trucker, this may come in very handy since many car drivers like to cut us off and then try to blame us for the incident.....and since I have more at stake having a CDL, that's something I surely can't afford. Do you know what app that can do this?
iPhone: iCar app turns an iPhone into a car accident black box

iPhone and Android: Automotive App of the Week: Witness Driving

I'm sure there are more out there, these are the two I'm aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or