U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 AM

3,806 posts, read 8,522,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
iPhone: iCar app turns an iPhone into a car accident black box

iPhone and Android: Automotive App of the Week: Witness Driving

I'm sure there are more out there, these are the two I'm aware of.

until your posts i never even thought about this angle, quite interesting. I also wonder if, while without video of course, the standard gps systems nearly everyone uses maintain some sort of "memory" that tracks/stores the coordinates which in effect includes speed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,882,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
until your posts i never even thought about this angle, quite interesting. I also wonder if, while without video of course, the standard gps systems nearly everyone uses maintain some sort of "memory" that tracks/stores the coordinates which in effect includes speed....
Not many, perhaps very few, jurisdictions will admit evidence from a GPS as pertains to speed and location because they have not been verified as sufficiently accurate to be admissible; in essence, they're considered hearsay. With the accompanying video from an app such as above, at least you have video confirmation of your location, and your speed can be verified by measuring the time it takes to travel between two fixed objects whose distance from each other can be ascertained. There's still no guarantee it would be admissable -- for instance there may be chain-of-custody issues if you don't turn it over to authorities pretty much on the spot -- but it would stand a better chance of being admissible than GPS data alone.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,622,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
In most police departments, officers have to keep a monthly 'activity report' showing what arrests were made and what traffic tickets they gave. If their supervisor is not satisfied with what they see, they have a talk with the officer. The word 'quota' is never used, but 'Office Jones, you were not very productive last month. Can you explain your lack of 'productivity?'

Exactly. The cops have developed many kinds of colorful words that do not sound like "quota" but mean the same thing.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,622,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Not really. There was a study that revealed that above 70 mph, people don't really drive that much faster as the speed limit increases. Most people would still stay below 80, so the only ones that would get caught are the true leadfoots.

Not true. 70mph is what drivers are driving at in the slow lane where I live. Traffic is flowing 80-95mph during my morning commute.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,315,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Not true. 70mph is what drivers are driving at in the slow lane where I live. Traffic is flowing 80-95mph during my morning commute.
Yep...I got pulled over at 80 cuz I went to pass someone in crowded traffic. Cop flat out told me it wasn't the speed but me flipping around the guy. I've passed cops on the side of the road doing 85 and been duly ignored.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.7 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 AM

18,149 posts, read 16,478,309 times
Drudge has a story about police running red lights and getting red light camera citations but then having not to pay. The majority of these infractions were non emergency situations where their lights weren't flashing and they weren't responding to a call.
What does everybody think about this? Can the police double park( to grab a drink or something to eat), can they run red lights while on duty? Can they exceed the speed limit if just on routine patrol? Is it a perk with the job?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:58 AM

33,175 posts, read 39,157,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Drudge has a story about police running red lights and getting red light camera citations but then having not to pay. The majority of these infractions were non emergency situations where their lights weren't flashing and they weren't responding to a call.
What does everybody think about this? Can the police double park( to grab a drink or something to eat), can they run red lights while on duty? Can they exceed the speed limit if just on routine patrol? Is it a perk with the job?
Technically police and other emergency vehicles are supposed to follow the same rules of the road the rest of us have to abide by, perhaps there are exceptions when they are in hot pursuit or dealing with an emergency but if i see a cop running a red light i'm certainly not going to bring it to their attention as they have guns and can exhibit some ornery attitudes at times..

Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,042,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
Its August 31st. the last day of the month.

i've done several face book posts about where i'm seeing cops.

to be more specific, i can go days without seeing an officer on the side of the road observing traffic.

but why is it on the 31st they're everywhere?

i keep getting responses of "cops don't have quotas and anyone who says so is BS"

well i'd really like a good explanation of why i've seen 4 cops today on the side of the road, radar ready.

and i saw a motorcycle cop yesterday on a local street, with a radar in his hand.

any reason that is?
You don't want to be the guy pulled over right before a shift change......You'll be getting a ticket for sure. He could have been playing blackjack on his laptop for the last 7 1/2 hours of his shift and stroking his dyck! It's about time to get off duty. You blow by him and he sees you. You're getting a ticket because he has to appear he has done something that day/night.

The commanding officer always has call on what is being done. He gives the order to write warning or tickets based on many factors. Maybe the mayor just got all up his ass that morning. That order for his patrolman changes from warning to tickets just that quick.

Do I think there are quotas?

Hell yes there are. It may be worded in colorful language, but it's still the same damn thing. Could be the city or county needs some money for their budget. Could be they need to hire some more officers. Could be they need some new equipment, cars, weapons, ammo etc.... Could be they want an unmarked Mustang GT just like many others and the mayor won't allow it unless they "come up" with it..

Don't be a fool........common sense can figure all of this out.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,042,147 times
I'll also add that when you have at least two unmarked new Mustang GTs with EVERYTHING hidden....just to drive around and write noise violations...you have stooped to an alltime low. $250 bucks a pop for the first offense. Are you f***ing kidding me? That's extortion and a revenue. Big deal some young kid has his car stereo up a little too loud or some Harley guy has pipes a little too loud. There was a 7 year old little girl murdered last night and her parents were also shot during a break in. Are you going to catch who did it?.... F*** NO!!! You're too worried about making that easy money with your hidden cars that is rotten as hell. Even civilian tags, tinted windows, big aluminum rims, hidden lights, hidden everything.... Spare no expense by the permission of the mayor who is a retard and dumber than a box of rocks....

No wonder I see someone pulled over every 10-20 minutes getting a ticket that STARTS at $150 and UP!!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,230,646 times
A cop (without flashing lights or siren) ran a stop sign in a parking lot and almost hit me. If he was a civilian and the person driving my car was a cop, he would have received a huge ticket and probably been arrested for reckless driving. But what can you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or