U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
what "different" branch of law enforcement do you work in?
I'm a prison guard, but in my state the proper term is "correctional officer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 08:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,344,934 times
Some jerk of a cop purposefully blocked me from crossing an intersection today. And they have the nerve to wonder why people hate them so much People would hate me too if I pushed around other people on the pretense of government authority.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:03 PM

5,533 posts, read 8,190,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Some jerk of a cop purposefully blocked me from crossing an intersection today. And they have the nerve to wonder why people hate them so much People would hate me too if I pushed around other people on the pretense of government authority.
At least he didn't give you your umpteenth ticket....

[Good to see you, Vince.]

Old 09-30-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
The problem is that cops are being used to generate revenue from motorists into state and local coffers, instead of being used to protect the public from actual criminals.
I'm actually surprised the situation isn't worse than it is, especially in the more liberal states that refuse to control their spending and are perpetually bankrupt, like the ones you and I both live in.

I haven't really noticed stepped up speed enforcement overall around here, and I'm surprised, because it's an obvious source of revenue and nearly everybody speeds.

The problem with speed enforcement is endemic to government in general. The priority of politicians is to extract more money from the unorganized public so that they can buy the votes of organized interest groups. Like alcoholics, there is absolutely no way to ever satiate this behavior, and no point at which the revenue extracted will ever be enough. It is the central problem of our age, and the one that will lead our society right over the cliff if it isn't addressed.

Think about that the next time you get puilled over for some very marginal violation.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
At least he didn't give you your umpteenth ticket....

[Good to see you, Vince.]
haha, yeah supposedly it's a sign of maturity that I didn't follow that toolbag through the intersection as the light turned red. But it still makes me irate that these jerks can get away with treating people like scum and commit the very same offenses they write tickets to other drivers for.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
haha, yeah supposedly it's a sign of maturity that I didn't follow that toolbag through the intersection as the light turned red. But it still makes me irate that these jerks can get away with treating people like scum and commit the very same offenses they write tickets to other drivers for.
Power corrupts. If that's the worst manifestation of it, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of life. But I know what you mean. Surprisingly, I see little of that type of police behavior. I never really have. I'm not sure why.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Power corrupts. If that's the worst manifestation of it, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of life. But I know what you mean. Surprisingly, I see little of that type of police behavior. I never really have. I'm not sure why.
You're right, it's not that big a deal in the big picture. It's just tragic that you can't even go about your day anymore without some insecure cop acting out his schoolyard bully role at you.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
You're right, it's not that big a deal in the big picture. It's just tragic that you can't even go about your day anymore without some insecure cop acting out his schoolyard bully role at you.
Serious question Vince: Do you think you've ever been ticketed unfairly? That would bother me a lot more than the type of nuisance policing you're describing.

You'll probably find that these instances of police annoyance decrease as you age. Young males are often perceived as punks who can be messed with by the police, while the middle aged guy may have the contacts/resources to mess with the cop if he harasses him unnecessarily.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Serious question Vince: Do you think you've ever been ticketed unfairly? That would bother me a lot more than the type of nuisance policing you're describing.

You'll probably find that these instances of police annoyance decrease as you age. Young males are often perceived as punks who can be messed with by the police, while the middle aged guy may have the contacts/resources to mess with the cop if he harasses him unnecessarily.
Admittedly, I can't say that I have, only because as far as I can remember, I was fairly easy bait every time I did end up with a ticket, and I would have been easy bait this last time.

I would have hoped that I don't look like a punk anymore at age 31, but you do have a point. Just earlier last week, I was riding in the back seat of a Lexus GS350 with my 41-year-old male boss behind the wheel and my 35-year-old female co-worker in the front passenger seat. My boss missed a yellow light by a mile. In front of two cops. Both of which never even bothered to flash their lights.

Maybe the different agencies are a factor, as well. CHP cops have a well-deserved reputation for being @ss wipes.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Admittedly, I can't say that I have, only because as far as I can remember, I was fairly easy bait every time I did end up with a ticket, and I would have been easy bait this last time.

I would have hoped that I don't look like a punk anymore at age 31, but you do have a point. Just earlier last week, I was riding in the back seat of a Lexus GS350 with my 41-year-old male boss behind the wheel and my 35-year-old female co-worker in the front passenger seat. My boss missed a yellow light by a mile. In front of two cops. Both of which never even bothered to flash their lights.

Maybe the different agencies are a factor, as well. CHP cops have a well-deserved reputation for being @ss wipes.
Different agencies definitely matter. In the area where I grew up, there were a couple of PDs that were known for being azzwipes, and I got tickets from both of them when I was younger. So I know the reputation was correct. Even today, I make a point of speeding when I drive through those two towns, since it's fun to push back against their "strict" attitude.

But my general philosophy is that except under extreme circumstances, the cops can't really mess with you unless you do something to allow them to. When I've gotten tagged, I've always viewed it as my own choice, and taken solace in the many times I did illegal and/or dangerous things and got away with them. Looked at that way, we've both no doubt come out way ahead if you look at the long game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or