U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,458,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I agree.
me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 AM

6,076 posts, read 10,751,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
The "obsession" is when the law is wrong (inappropriateness low speed limits, shortened yellow lights, drastic speed limit changes with little to no warning, etc.) & you people seem to take advantage of it & steal our money. That is OUR money & you nor the organization you work for (the city, county or state) have absolutely no business touching it.
I agree with most of what your saying, but. If they were to show a little more compassion toward others and not so high and mighty with their badges, then folks would be more apt to help them. Most of the so called "Law Enforcement" use their positions to work the traffic laws in their favor at a whim.

Anymore when they call for donations for any reason, I just laugh at them and hang up the phone. They use and abuse their authority too often. And then expect civilians to bow to them and their authority. I served over 20 years in the armed forces, now a retired disabled vet. When folks tell me, "Thank you for your service", I simple reply, "thank you for allowing me to serve".

But cops seem to think that they are above the Law and that even traffic laws don't apply to them, their family and friends. I saw one just the other day Texting while driving and steering the car with his knees and while doing this in a "No Texting while driving city zone". I've seen Cleveland cops hit their lights just so they can pass around traffic, run a red light and then turn off his lights on the other side and dive on down the street on his own may way.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,842,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I agree with most of what your saying, but. If they were to show a little more compassion toward others and not so high and mighty with their badges, then folks would be more apt to help them. Most of the so called "Law Enforcement" use their positions to work the traffic laws in their favor at a whim.

Anymore when they call for donations for any reason, I just laugh at them and hang up the phone. They use and abuse their authority too often. And then expect civilians to bow to them and their authority. I served over 20 years in the armed forces, now a retired disabled vet. When folks tell me, "Thank you for your service", I simple reply, "thank you for allowing me to serve".

But cops seem to think that they are above the Law and that even traffic laws don't apply to them, their family and friends. I saw one just the other day Texting while driving and steering the car with his knees and while doing this in a "No Texting while driving city zone". I've seen Cleveland cops hit their lights just so they can pass around traffic, run a red light and then turn off his lights on the other side and dive on down the street on his own may way.
I see you like to lump groups together based on the actions of one or two people. I bet you have a lot of hatred in your heart. If an accountant is arrested for stealing money, do you think all accountants are crooks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
The "obsession" is when the law is wrong (inappropriateness low speed limits, shortened yellow lights, drastic speed limit changes with little to no warning, etc.) & you people seem to take advantage of it & steal our money. That is OUR money & you nor the organization you work for (the city, xounty or state) have absolutely no business touching it.
Speed limit signs look the same all over the country. It's your job to look for them and know the speed limit. Shortened yellow lights are illegal, and cities have been fined a lot of money when it is noticed. When you break the law and receive a penalty, it isn't "stealing" your money. Reference my last post about not taking responsibility for your actions and how immature it is. Are you a teenager?

I'm not sure what a "xounty" is.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:39 AM

5,541 posts, read 8,208,696 times
Quote:

I have to say, my experience with law enforcement has been pretty good. I've never gotten a ticket I didn't richly deserve, and there have been many times when I should or could have gotten a ticket, but didn't.

My last traffic stop, the officer cut me a major break and lowered my speed by 14 mph on the ticket he wrote me. I was very grateful for that; it saved me a lot of money and a few points.

There are no doubt some abuses, but there are a lot more people who just can't accept responsibility for the fact that they broke the law and deserved the ticket they go, so they have to look for all sorts of excuses.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:52 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,751,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I have to say, my experience with law enforcement has been pretty good. I've never gotten a ticket I didn't richly deserve, and there have been many times when I should or could have gotten a ticket, but didn't.

My last traffic stop, the officer cut me a major break and lowered my speed by 14 mph on the ticket he wrote me. I was very grateful for that; it saved me a lot of money and a few points.

There are no doubt some abuses, but there are a lot more people who just can't accept responsibility for the fact that they broke the law and deserved the ticket they go, so they have to look for all sorts of excuses.
LOL, two years ago I got my first ticket under my CDL. The trooper found it amusing that I wasn't upset over it. When he asked me why I was chuckling about it, I replied simply, "you'll see when you come back from your cruiser". When he returned (with the ticket) he said, "so I'm the first to give you a ticket"? Yep . I wasn't mad at him, I new I was over the speed limit by 10 mph. I just saw no need to be upset, especially since he didn't have a (Holier than Thou) attitude toward me.

But I still have very little to no respect for Cleveland cops and most of the surrounding smaller cities in the area. I was glad to see Mayor Mike White open an investigation toward CPD a few years ago and busted a ton of them for all kinds of misuse of their positions and badges.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:29 PM

5,541 posts, read 8,208,696 times
Quote:
LOL, two years ago I got my first ticket under my CDL. The trooper found it amusing that I wasn't upset over it. When he asked me why I was chuckling about it, I replied simply, "you'll see when you come back from your cruiser". When he returned (with the ticket) he said, "so I'm the first to give you a ticket"? Yep . I wasn't mad at him, I new I was over the speed limit by 10 mph. I just saw no need to be upset, especially since he didn't have a (Holier than Thou) attitude toward me.

But I still have very little to no respect for Cleveland cops and most of the surrounding smaller cities in the area. I was glad to see Mayor Mike White open an investigation toward CPD a few years ago and busted a ton of them for all kinds of misuse of their positions and badges.
Getting tickets doesn't upset me either. I've gotten 7 tickets in my 35 years of driving, and I've always found them to be pretty painless. I don't get them often enough for it to be a real concern. When I have to take my medicine, I take it, and then just keep right on speeding.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,939,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I don't understand what the obsession is with citizens and proving police have a quota. Would a quota make your illegal offense (speeding, no seat belt, etc) less illegal? If I worked in a TV factory, I might be expected to produce 20 TV's a month. What is the difference if a city wants an officer to produce 20 tickets a month? I could get 20 in a day or two if I felt like it.
That being said, we don't have a quota. It's against state law for my supervisors to give me one. We are, however, compared to our coworkers JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER JOB ON THE PLANET. If my coworkers are writing 20-30 tickets per month, and I write 5 tickets per month, my supervisors will probably want to talk to me about what I'm doing with my time.

The anti-cop crowd makes me laugh. 99% of them have broken the law and gotten caught, so now they show their outrage (instead of taking responsibility for their actions) by attacking police anonymously on the internet. How mature.
When police are used as de facto revenue agents instead of law enforcement agents, it creates mistrust and resentment of law enforcement among civilians and it makes your job harder to do.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 AM

7,057 posts, read 5,238,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
so even during an especially slow day, the supervisor is still expecting the cop to report 4 citations. In effect, a quota.
Conversely, if you were his supervisor, how do you verify that he didn't sit there and play angry birds all day? Just saying. I don't think the supervisor would say anything if he wrote two tickets one day.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:42 AM

861 posts, read 947,566 times
I've been pulled over so many times for trumped up charges, which are nothing more than "hunches," that I have come to despise these pigs.

Even had one turn the spotlight on me while I was doing 70mph on the freeway nearly causing me to crash.

Bunch of scumbags with badges.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:18 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,842,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I've been pulled over so many times for trumped up charges, which are nothing more than "hunches," that I have come to despise these pigs.

Even had one turn the spotlight on me while I was doing 70mph on the freeway nearly causing me to crash.

Bunch of scumbags with badges.

Maybe the spotlight was turned on you because the speed limit was 55, and the officer didn't feel like pulling out after you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or