U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:11 PM

861 posts, read 946,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post

Maybe the spotlight was turned on you because the speed limit was 55, and the officer didn't feel like pulling out after you.
The posted speed limit is 70mph.... and he drove up next to my car before shining the spotlight directly into my face.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 AM

2,792 posts, read 1,680,174 times
I can not stand the cops who just park on the side of the road waiting for people to speed. Don't they have anything better to do I am sure there is a robbery or some other crime going on. Unfortunately in small towns like I live in the cops do not have much to do so they try and catch anything on the road wither that person is breaking the law or not.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:12 AM

861 posts, read 946,905 times
Cops in our town just got a new Dodger Charger just for that purpose, to write speeding tickets all day long. I always see it patrolling the highway that goes through our town. It is all white and non-descript with no sirens on top so speedsters don't suspect anything until it's too late.

It even tried to bait me in to speeding once but I didn't fall for it. Bunch of scumbags.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,085,728 times
Can anyone point to even one example in history where a police officer was accused of 'gross misconduct', 'abuse of power' etc and the "internal investigation" did in fact, find him or her guilty?

Law enforcement officers have little respect in the eyes of the public. And most of those reasons have already been written about.

Want to restore some of that faith? Have the officers themselves tear down the proverbial Blue Wall. They are a tight knit group. They know who the rotten "bad apples". Let the good officers turn against the bad ones and publicly bring out the bad one(s) for public sacrifice.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:06 PM

4,246 posts, read 6,387,579 times
Problem will be: they're all bad to some extent.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,840,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I can not stand the cops who just park on the side of the road waiting for people to speed. Don't they have anything better to do I am sure there is a robbery or some other crime going on. Unfortunately in small towns like I live in the cops do not have much to do so they try and catch anything on the road wither that person is breaking the law or not.
Police nit-picking small violations is most likely why there's nothing else going on in your city. When police are always present and available, criminals pick a different area. There are two small cities near me like that, and both of them made the Top 5 nicest cities list for our state. One of them made the nationwide list last year. Both cities are suburbs of a large city that makes the FBI most dangerous list.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,840,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Can anyone point to even one example in history where a police officer was accused of 'gross misconduct', 'abuse of power' etc and the "internal investigation" did in fact, find him or her guilty?

Law enforcement officers have little respect in the eyes of the public. And most of those reasons have already been written about.

Want to restore some of that faith? Have the officers themselves tear down the proverbial Blue Wall. They are a tight knit group. They know who the rotten "bad apples". Let the good officers turn against the bad ones and publicly bring out the bad one(s) for public sacrifice.
I know of a taskforce that investigates rotten police officers. The taskforce is made up of multiple agencies, including the FBI and local police, so there is no helping your buddy. They have prosecuted and convicted many people. One of the things that police hate most is a bad cop. It tarnishes the image of our entire group. If I knew of someone doing something illegal or immoral, I would turn them in.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:57 AM

10,875 posts, read 41,232,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Buster Snider, in Denver, comes to mind. Famous for writing the highest number of traffic tickets in the history of the department and in his attempts to outdo even his own record, wrote a lot of bad tickets leading to his dismisal.

Another one, hired by the city of Lakewood CO ... hired to be the lead trainer in the use of radar tickets and speed enforcement in the city under a Fed LEO Grant, was found to be intentionally misusing the radar units and teaching other cops to do the same with his deliberate goal of creating evidence for speeding that wasn't valid. The result was realized when a number of people hired lawyers to defend themselves from the radar clocked speeding tickets and expert testimony revealed the misuse by policy/training of the equipment. The radar trainer cop was demoted to a street traffic cop and subsequently fired; the city dismissed over a hundred radar tickets he had written as being invalid ... gross misconduct.

Those are two that I know of personally, but I understand that there were many more who fell into the same professional misconduct when instant on Fed radar grants for officers and equipment were all the rage in law enforcement some years ago. There was no demonstrated correlation realized between traffic safety and the number of tickets, it was all about revenue enhancement in the guise of law enforcement.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:17 AM

32,646 posts, read 17,707,005 times
Default Police Officers and Traffic Ticket Quotas

Quota?

Probably not. There might be an expectation for some minimum monthly number, though. Maybe they have incentives. The guy with the most tickets wins a new toaster.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:00 AM

6,076 posts, read 10,748,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Quota?

Probably not. There might be an expectation for some minimum monthly number, though. Maybe they have incentives. The guy with the most tickets wins a new toaster.
I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! Its not to protect and serve, its collect and steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or