U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:25 AM

6,878 posts, read 8,399,438 times
I don't understand the complaint about quotas. There are plenty of violations going on everywhere. They could write far more tickets than they do now. They should be writing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 AM

968 posts, read 1,088,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't understand the complaint about quotas. There are plenty of violations going on everywhere. They could write far more tickets than they do now. They should be writing more.
lets hear you say that when you get a BS ticket for something you didn't do.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 09-01-2010 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 AM

268 posts, read 225,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you've ever lived in an over-policed area (try Montrose, CO), you'd understand. There are too many cops, and they all need to meet a quota, which results in ridiculous tickets. I had 6 tickets dismissed by the judge in Montrose in one year, and every time he commented, "I really don't understand why you were given this ticket." and then he proceeds to tell me how I can get the record sealed for the charge if I want to.

Last time I was pulled over there, it was because the officer thought the tread on my tires looked like they might have too much wear (they were only six months old), of course he admitted they were nearly new after seeing them up close and instead ticketed me for a small 3 inch crack in the bottom center of my windshield.

Once, on highway 50 between Montrose and Grand Junction, I was pulled over 3 times in less than 10 miles for a broken headlight.

Quotas are a joke and border on harassment in some cases.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 AM

38,728 posts, read 34,475,894 times
Even if there is no quota, cops love to give tickets, because every time the driver contests the ticket in court, the cop gets overtime for the court appearance, or else a few hours in off the beat. When a cop writes a ticket, they even remind you that you can contest it in court.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 AM

35,647 posts, read 53,290,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Even if there is no quota, cops love to give tickets, because every time the driver contests the ticket in court, the cop gets overtime for the court appearance, or else a few hours in off the beat. When a cop writes a ticket, they even remind you that you can contest it in court.
I haven't met a cop yet who would rather spend his day sitting in a courtroom than being out on the beat. Cops jump through hoops to become cops because they want to be on the beat.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
lets here you say that when you get a BS ticket for something you didn't do.
I think I read this 6 times before I guessed what you meant. For those of you still scratching your heads, it means "Let's hear you . . . "

Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 AM

268 posts, read 225,531 times
Quote:
I've contested a few and I've never had an officer show. I guess if it was something more than just a cracked windshield they might bother. Of course, they don't show and I win. It's pretty gratifying.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Really? You're making a blanket statement that may simply not apply to a lot of areas in the country.

I know I've spent a lot of time on I-25 in Colorado in clear weather in a 75 mph zone where many people are driving 5-10 mph below that speed ... and even slower when they hit the grades. Either inattentive or unwilling to drive the speed limit, and unwilling to yield the road to faster traffic.
I said "on urban freeways". I bet the speed limit in Colorado is not 75 through the middle of Denver. Blanket statements are fine, even if they "may" not apply in "a lot of" places when people "hit the grades"---such as the few places that have 75-mph speed limits. Americans very consistently drive 70 mph on freeways, regardless of the speed limit. If the limit is less than that, they're speeding, and that's what they do.

Every day in the USA, tens of millions of drivers exceed the speed limit. The police could probably issue a billion speeding tickets a month, and the fines would total a trillion dollars a year. But instead, they cull enough out of the herd to meet their quota, and it you're the one, you pay. They probably mostly ticket the relatively slow ones, because they're easier to catch.

To make things even worse, once you get the ticket, your insurance company "fines" you even more than the judge. And that's another angle on the cahoots racket that punishes you for being the randomly-selected loser.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-01-2010 at 08:52 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 AM

8,836 posts, read 10,290,635 times
Quota's are real. They may not call them "quota's" but they are quite real.

YouTube - Your Local Police Do Have Arrest / Ticket Quotas (they just think you're too dumb to figure it out)

YouTube - NYPD Police Officer Admits to arrest quotas

Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 AM

968 posts, read 1,088,816 times
Quote:
I think I read this 6 times before I guessed what you meant. For those of you still scratching your heads, it means "Let's hear you . . . "
good to see youre still on top of your game so late in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive