U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,820,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
So.....you'd be breaking the rules.:s mack:

Do you know how to explain anything, or do the emoticons exhaust your vocabulary?

Start by explaining the difference between "rules" and "laws".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 PM

2,858 posts, read 6,225,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
OK so it has been established that cops have "quotas" more or less, otherwise known as "performance indicators" or "performance measurements", or other PC terminology or alternative methods, or something they can list saying that they were active for a particular hour.

It's also been established that their are so many traffic laws being broken - speeding, vehicle malfunctions, etc. That a cop can write tickets very easily any time he wants, and could probably write them all day. State mandated anti-quota laws probably do keep those munincipalities that want to write tickets all day for revenue in check.

But - crimes - robberies, assualts, murders, break-ins, vandalism, are also being committed. Police devote alot of manpower to traffic enforcement, and one wonders if they direct this manpower at the easiest to enforce and catch area, as well as the most financially rewarding (traffic enforcement), as opposed to the more difficult investigative and preventive work required for real crimes.
That is perhaps the topic that should be discussed.

This is coming from someone that was involved in investigating areas of embezzlement and fraud. Trying to get the police involvement in these cases? Difficult. They wouldn't understand, they had no interest, they didn't care. Much easier to whip out the radar gun and find someone going over a posted speed limit - that's what they were trained to do. What they were not trained to do (except for a very few specialized officers)? Identify complex criminal complaints other than wife beatings and drunks, and of course giving speeding tickets. Time to refocus law enforcement priorities.

Do not lump up quotas with performance indicators, that is just stupid. If you can't tell the difference between the two, you really shouldn't be able drive a vehicle.

There are ALOT of cops out there who you do not see. My best friends brother is a detective and gets to wear jeans to work. His hair is not very short either. He handles vandalism which is primarily graffiti which is a huge part of the gang division. So, he gets to REALLY know alot of dirtbags and spends alot of time getting people to help him.

One thing everyone has overlooked is how many criminals get caught via traffic stops. Cops do pull over suspicious looking vehicles and much of the time they are right. Whether they have drugs on them or they have a warrant, this happens all the time.

People need to realize there is a BIG BIG BIG difference between traffic officer and a beat officer. Traffic officers are the ones people hate because they are the ones who hide and wait for you while beat officers will be completely easy to see and people don't notice them.

To me, I do not see the difference. Everytime I speed, I know I'm risking getting a citation. Depending on the circumstances, thats a risk I'm willing to take as is the case for most people.

Robberies, assualts, murders, break-ins, vandalisms etc, are handled by detectives not in uniform officers.

I really enjoy when people who hate on law enforcement don't know anything about it. Blind ignorance.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,351,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Robberies, assualts, murders, break-ins, vandalisms etc, are handled by detectives not in uniform officers.
maybe then they need to re-assign more traffic officers to help detectives handle those cases

Old 09-02-2010, 07:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,784,994 times
Detectives aren't reassigned traffic officers. They're police who have been promoted to the rank based on qualification, testing, and training. There are also different types of detectives, depending on the location. Some cities have a homicide and/or violent crime division, and the guy who goes after the murderers and rapists will not be spending any time chasing down people to ticket them for a broken tail light. And the cop who chases down people with busted tail lights will not be investigating violent crimes.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,365,981 times
Reading some of the replies about "Mr. cop claimed I was going faster than his gun said so because he can gauge speed by looking at how fast a car moves past him" reminds me of the time a cop pulled me over after I slowed down to 70 in a 55 yet tried to say I was doing in excess of 100 mph....mind you I was in a 1997 Hyundai Accent. Not my car, but the owner of the car claimed it was b.s. because the car wouldn't go past 88.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Detectives aren't reassigned traffic officers. They're police who have been promoted to the rank based on qualification, testing, and training. There are also different types of detectives, depending on the location. Some cities have a homicide and/or violent crime division, and the guy who goes after the murderers and rapists will not be spending any time chasing down people to ticket them for a broken tail light. And the cop who chases down people with busted tail lights will not be investigating violent crimes.

BINGO! Finally someone with a brain!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,820,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The fact that there are other officers doing other things does not detract from the fact that trained, armed, and equipped law enforcement officers are, in large numbers, assigned to traffic patrol, where they spend their shift randomly selecting cars for persecution, and turning them over to traffic courts to extract increasingly large fines from them for the most trivial of irregularities---at least one of which can almost certainly be found if the driver meets certain profiling criteria. While actual criminals run amok. Although they have graduated from the police academy and regularly undergo continuing education, and are equipped with state of the art law enforcement technology, they spend almost none of their time involved in activities that are related in any way to public safety or crime prevention. Just try and get one to Protect or Serve you. "Sorry, ma'am, we're not allowed to do that".

In fact, their first words in a traffic stop ("License and registration, please") proves that their primary concern is to check documents that are nothing more than tax receipts, so clearly their primary focus is tax collecting. Most traffic patrol officers go months on end without encountering a single person who can be convicted of a crime more serious than having window tinting that inconveniences officers looking into the car.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-02-2010 at 11:20 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The fact that there are other officers doing other things does not detract from the fact that trained, armed, and equipped law enforcement officers are, in large numbers, assigned to traffic patrol, where they spend their shift randomly selecting cars for persecution, and turning them over to traffic courts to extract increasingly large fines from them for the most trivial of irregularities---at least one of which can almost certainly be found if the driver meets certain profiling criteria. While actual criminals run amok. Although they have graduated from the police academy and regularly undergo continuing education, and are equipped with state of the art law enforcement technology, they spend almost none of their time involved in activities that are related in any way to public safety or crime prevention. Just try and get one to Protect or Serve you. "Sorry, ma'am, we're not allowed to do that".

In fact, their first words in a traffic stop ("License and registration, please") proves that their primary concern is to check documents that are nothing more than tax receipts, so clearly their primary focus is tax collecting. Most traffic patrol officers go months on end without encountering a single person who can be convicted of a crime more serious than having window tinting that inconveniences officers looking into the car.
You know nothing about law enforcement and quite honestly, you are making a fool out of yourself. Traffic stops are EXTREMELY dangerous for officers. They are quite possibly the second most dangerous call they get behind domestic violence calls. Every time you see I cop walk towards a vehicle, you see the cop unbuckle his gun hostler and have his strong hand near it just in case something happens. I dare to watch one the next time you can. You don't see a cop just Laissez-faire his way up to the vehicle, he watches how many people are in the vehicle and if they are moving around.

I have been pulled over 4 times and I've never been told license and registration right off the bat. You watch way too much stereotypical movie and TV BS.

You sound like a real angry person and need to get your facts straight before making such passion (and wrong) opinions on subjects you have zero business pretending to know.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,929,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I once had a flat at night, and a cop pulled up behind me, kept his headlights on to give me enough light to work, and served as a caution sign for oncoming drivers. Which I thought was cool, and I waved him a thank you. If he was multi-tasking by radaring for speeders, that's his business.
jtur88, I've seen (and been the recipient of) LOTS of acts by law enforcement that fit the "Protect & Serve" mantra. However, THIS "Bandito with a Badge" was sitting perpendicular to (and in front of) the car with the flat tire and was ready to roll at the mere sight of a speeder.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:25 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,535,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Do not lump up quotas with performance indicators, that is just stupid. If you can't tell the difference between the two, you really shouldn't be able drive a vehicle.
Now thatg's a stupid statment. A quota IS a perfomranc indicator. And if an officer is punished for not living up to a performance indicator that is a pre-determined nuymber of stops or tickets, then there is no functional differnce between that and the common definition of a quota. If you can't see that then YOU shouldn't be able to drive a vehicle (because obviously driving skills are not important, only knowing the minutae of law enforcement performance indicators, right?)

Just because you have decided to call the position a sanitation technician doesn't mean it's not a janitor. If the particular performance indicator is a set number of stops/tickets, then it's a quota in a fancy name.

So, why don't they get more of their officers on detective duty? Why put the lower trained officers in what you term the most dangerous duty? Simply put, detectives cost the department more money, but don't bring any in. Traffic beat cops cost relatively little money, but rake in the money for the municipality/county/state. So you can have 20 people sitting all day in hidy holes to catch speeders, but only a couple people available to find stolen goods or respond to robberies/murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or