U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:11 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,682,338 times

Advertisements

There are some difficulties with 100K mile cars that just can't be ignored. Wear and tear of some items - such as seat leather - will occur and may be very visible. Also - I would not want a one owner 100K mile car if the owner was a smoker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,524,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There are some difficulties with 100K mile cars that just can't be ignored. Wear and tear of some items - such as seat leather - will occur and may be very visible. Also - I would not want a one owner 100K mile car if the owner was a smoker.
I woudnt' want a smoker's car either, but still this was the interior of my car at 143k when I bought it:

And this is what it's like now, 3 1/2 years later at 180k miles:

A little bit of wear on the leather isn't an issue because, well, it's a used car. If you want new car wear, spend the $75k on a new luxury car and take the depreciation hit. I bought mine used for $7500 over 3 1/2 years ago, and other than the steering wheel, the wear on it is as if I had bought it new 3 1/2 years ago. I really don't see why you can't "ignore" that minor wear as the tradeoff for spending pennies on the dollar to buy the car in the first place.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 AM

807 posts, read 1,562,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
A little bit of wear on the leather isn't an issue because, well, it's a used car. If you want new car wear, spend the $75k on a new luxury car and take the depreciation hit. I bought mine used for $7500 over 3 1/2 years ago, and other than the steering wheel, the wear on it is as if I had bought it new 3 1/2 years ago. I really don't see why you can't "ignore" that minor wear as the tradeoff for spending pennies on the dollar to buy the car in the first place.
Wow!

It is about maintenance indeed. Good to know that carfax/authocheck will flag major red flags. That's a BMW from about 2004 or thereabouts?

My Jetta routine maintenance:
Gas-$70 per month (fill the tank twice or thrice per month--I don't commute to work so very low miles on the week).
Oil change-$30 every 2-3 months.
Brakes-done it twice. Parts cost $160 or thereabout for rotors and brakes. Then $100-200 for labor.
General checkup, occasional - $60

Should I at least double the cost of each for a luxury car of any year?

Impressed by this very informative thread.

Last edited by superseiyan; 09-02-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,524,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Wow!

It is about maintenance indeed. So carfax/authocheck will flag major red flags?
major reported crashes and ownership changes, yes. Lack of maintenance? no. That's something that only a stack of reciepts or a kowledgeable visual inspection can tell you. But, beware, even PPIs can mislead you. A guy in my E38 owners group bought a lower mileage 740iL that smoked heavily on startup every time. Dealers AND independent mechanics said it needed an engine rebuild. the owner's group knowledge base knew that that was a sign of an OSV failure (basically BMW's version of the PCV). Instead of a $3500-4500 engine rebuild, it needed a $100 OSV replacement.

Quote:
That's a BMW of what year, and how much per year are you averaging on maintenance?
That's a '98 740iL. I've spent $1500 in repairs over the last 3 1/2 years, not including regular oil changes (one of the easiest cars to change oil on so DIY is great) or modifications (like custom wheels, tires, lighting and suspension mods).

To be fair, all that is DIY prices, as the things needed to be replaced are extremely easy to DIY. For example, the radiator and expansion tank were uder $200 for everything and only took an hour or so with just a flat blade screwdriver. Suspension bits were also easy to do at home. For these cars, there is a great owner network to help DIY everything, and a lot of owners are learning to DIY for the first time and enjoying it.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Do most luxury models and YEARS have similar ownership networks/forums like the E38 you describe?

Last edited by superseiyan; 09-02-2010 at 12:10 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,617,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Do most luxury models and YEARS have similar ownership networks/forums like the E38 you describe?
The wonderful thing about the internet is that there are forums and sites for pretty much every interest out there. A quick Google search for the type of car you want and the word "forum" will turn up a lot. It does somewhat depend on the type of car. In the luxury arena BMW seems to have one of the broadest and most knowledgeable internet bases there is. All of the other are represented, but for older models, Mercedes and Lexus seem to have the next biggest following. There is a lot of Audi information out there, but most of the forums are skewed to the ~2000 and newer cars.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:14 PM

474 posts, read 741,377 times
Merc63 - re: leather wear - Yes you are right - it is used. But the original point of this thread was to compare to a new mid-range car. For some people cracks in the leather would be a big deal. For many - it would not be at all. The quality of leather used in cars varies widely - and darker colors generally look better with age. My Jag had an off-white interior - and the back of my seat had a streak from my belt. That would never be visible with a dark interior.

But your car looks great. That IS the best looking 7 series generation.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:20 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,796,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Am I the only one picking up on "DC area"? This has to be the most car-hostile city in the US, unless you live way outside the Beltway, or have metric tons of money to waste on a decent garage in town, it's going to be tough going to keep a really nice car in that environment. Not sure where you can go for a pleasure drive either, unless you enjoy sitting in traffic.

On top of that IIRC you'll get gouged good on your annual registration.

I don't even like to drive a *rental* car in DC.
That's what the Metro is for.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 AM

I'm close to pulling the trigger. Narrowed down between a 17K financed Audi A4 2006 (with service records/carfax) vs. leasing a new JETTA.

As I'm going for the driving experience, monthly payment is my main consideration I'll trade-in either way after about 4 years.

I started looking at Audi because of the timeless style, plus I think it's slightly less on the pocket than BMWs, plus the 3.2 quattro doesn't have a timing belt which is wonderful.

Are Audi's good machines or just Passats? (like how Lexus is often derisively referred to as a fully loaded toyota).

Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,617,189 times
I'm a huge Audi fan. No, they aren't just Passat's and they haven't shared the same platform for a while. If my choice was leasing a new Jetta or getting a 2006 A4 3.2 Quattro, it would be Audi all the way. I don't think there is a single thing other than MPG that the Jetta does better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or