U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 AM

4,464 posts, read 9,645,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
I'm going to have to call you on that one too, Viking. 55mph in 2 feet of snow... in a Corolla. I'd have to see it to believe it.

Honestly, in a Corolla, you'd be plowing snow with your grill. Just imagining the snow that would be blowing over your hood and onto your windshield is enough to say, Pics or it didn't happen. Or you're just an amazing blind man that can navigate your roads without any vision.
...Well, have you heard of windscreen wipers? Besides, if the snow is "dry" and you don't have warm air blowing onto the windscreen, the snow primarily goes over it anyways. Of course I was plowing snow with my grill, once I was through it, I had to stop, clear it out, to let the car breathe again, it was a fun couple of miles though.

And again, you can call it till you get blue in the face, I'm trying to provide some information to the OP, as he/she asked for info on FWD Vs. AWD, whether he and/or you chose to believe what you're told isn't something I can do much about, and as such I don't really care either way.

EDIT: And 55 Mph through/on snow is nothing with decent tires, namely these:

You get them with studs too (obviously) but that just makes way too much noise, when these work anyways, as long as you clean them bi-weekly or so.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,440,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post

I have a long, steep, curved driveway off a low traffic country road. My FWD vehicle (4 snow tires) often sits garaged in January and February. It has made it halfway up the driveway with 4-8 inches too many times to bother when it isn't safe. With snow tires and AWD it is a cakewalk, until the undercarriage snow buildup is too much.

As with anything, there are general rules and exceptional cases.
Oh, you're making me jealous. I'd kill to be back where there is some serious snow to play around in.

Are you allowed to stud those tires where you are located? Its a compromise between chains and parked and on all four wheels can be surprisingly effective.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
...Well, have you heard of windscreen wipers? Besides, if the snow is "dry" and you don't have warm air blowing onto the windscreen, the snow primarily goes over it anyways. Of course I was plowing snow with my grill, once I was through it, I had to stop, clear it out, to let the car breathe again, it was a fun couple of miles though.

And again, you can call it till you get blue in the face, I'm trying to provide some information to the OP, as he/she asked for info on FWD Vs. AWD, whether he and/or you chose to believe what you're told isn't something I can do much about, and as such I don't really care either way.
I'm ready to move on too. And, the FWD info is good for the OP. No question that FWD is a big advantage over RWD. I think it takes a little more caution due to the total loss of steering whenever the wheels are spinning but people seem to get pretty used to that phenomenon.

That tire you put up has no stud holes. But I agree that studded those tires would be the cat's a$$. I have a set of Hakkapeliitta's for Winter for my 300TE (RWD Mercedes wagon) which is a total pig in the snow.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
I would love to see this, it must be entertaining to watch. How much hill is involved? How old are you? What kind of tires are used?
The road from my driveway is first a slight (not steep at all) decline, then around a turn and it levels (maybe a slight incline) before another turn and again, slight incline, nothing crazy.

The challenge really is the turns, as you'll get stuck if you don't carry the speed. Nothing some active use of the e-brake doesn't solve though.

I posted pictures of the tires I use in my previous post, they're Continental Viking Contact 3's (Nordic Edition), they grip like nobodies business, and if you need some added security or live in even harsher conditions you get them studded too. (I use 175/65 14"s on my car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I'm ready to move on too. And, the FWD info is good for the OP. No question that FWD is a big advantage over RWD. I think it takes a little more caution due to the total loss of steering whenever the wheels are spinning but people seem to get pretty used to that phenomenon.
RWD works as well, just have to drive it accordingly (as an example: MY friends RWD BMW 318i was far superior to his FWD Volvo V50 1.6D in the snow. Was sideways a lot though).

The loss of steering, well understeer generally , is at least a bit more predictable for most people. I tend to use my e-brake a lot during winter, partly for the fun factor, but also to get the nose into the turn, eliminating a lot of the understeer, and giving it room to play out the rest of it.

As for the tire thickness issue: Just look at the WRC Rally cars' snow tires, and there's your answer.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
55 mph on/though snow is nothing. Any speed through 2 feet of snow in a Corolla didn't happen.

You can lie about it until you're blue in the face, makes no difference to me. I'll still know you're lying.
I was there, you weren't. You can think I lie all you want, but you know nothing.

Now crawl back into whatever little hole you came out of and stop insulting people.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM

689 posts, read 2,723,221 times
1. Thinner tires provide more lbs per square inch on the ground at the contact area. That is the 1 main reason they work better in snow.
They are also thinner and usually have a smaller static loaded radius so they push less and have less resistance to what they have to push.

2. Tread design and depth are both important but you can also use studded, compounded rubber, and walnut reatreads to improve any standard application.

3. If you want to buy a FWD vehicle make sure you get it with a Electronic Traction Controll System. That puts the power to the wheel thats slipping.

4. O.A. Undercarrige height however obtained is critical in heavy new snow conditions, so you must take that issue seriously unless you want to get stuck.

5. All Current FWD Mini Vans are to low for safe Deep Snow driving.

6. It's not just about getting stuck while driving. Many times it's all about just getting going.

7. Pick the stlye of vehicle you want, and then search for the best application within whats offered.

8. Don't forget the "Chains Option" and make sure you have the correct application and know how to put them on properly.

9. In all my years of driving I have never put Chains on although it might be mandatory under certain conditions.

Last edited by silverfox; 09-01-2010 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,115,242 times
Just get a Subaru Outback and call it good.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Just get a Subaru Outback and call it good.
One of my favorite cars to pull out of the snow.

Every gal that has one thinks she is invincible.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,826,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Oh, you're making me jealous. I'd kill to be back where there is some serious snow to play around in.

Are you allowed to stud those tires where you are located? Its a compromise between chains and parked and on all four wheels can be surprisingly effective.
I agree that some interesting driving can be done with the right vehicle in the right snow conditions.

In our state, studs are permitted between specified dates(?). They ARE great in snow and ice, especially when pretty new but I haven't used them in years. Better snow tires and drive systems have helped and snow road maintenance has improved. I also try to avoid heavy travel in heavy snow.

The down sides of studs are the noise (but you can turn up the sound system...and you sorta get used to it) and the loss of DRY road traction, both cornering and braking, made worse if using narrower profile tires in the winter. The contrast with summer tire handling is significant. For me this is the killer, and requires a compromise.

Since much of my driving December-April is on dry or wet roads between snows, including long interstate runs at speed, I prefer 4 good unstudded snows (narrower with same rolling diameter as the summer tires) on all my vehicles. I buy wheels/snows before the first winter.

To link back to the OP, certainly studded snows add capability to most any vehicle IN THE SNOW OR ICE. Each driver/owner needs to assess his driving situation to determine what fits them best.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:14 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,890,372 times
It would probably be no worse than the Stratus.

In my opinion, SUVs with 2WD are just station wagons, although I'm sure some people like them. I would not personally buy a 2WD SUV in the snow belt, when the same model is available in 4WD. You might want to check out resale values of used, similar SUVs with both 2WD and 4WD, relative to the initial purchase price (4WD will obviously be more). One of my friends is a dealer in the midwest, and he won't touch a 2WD SUV at all. He has a very hard time selling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or