U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 PM

689 posts, read 2,720,486 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mentioned that where I live and drive there is not as much snow/ice as many areas of the country, but I have managed just fine in up to 8-10" of snow with FWD, Electronic Traction Control, and Compounded rubber tires all 4 wheels.
When things get tough I temporarily drop the air pressure slightly.
No Noise or Nasty hiway wear either.
Only downside is they wear faster then regular all season tires but to me, their worth it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:44 PM

898 posts, read 1,194,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Thats a dumb question. Minivans are the cars that people buy when they are ready to go ahead and get one foot into the grave. Plus, just look at minivans, they are all hideous. Some people want an SUV b/c they actually don't look like little symbols of people having a baby factory.
You do realize that minivans and SUVs are pretty much the same body style, right? (box on wheels)

Old 09-02-2010, 04:19 PM

11,564 posts, read 17,496,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
Earlier I posted this in the Iowa forum because I was wondering how a 2WD (front) SUV will fare in snowy driving conditions. I've owned an AWD Mountaineer (and that thing was a beast in the snow) now am currently driving a Dodge Stratus and it does fairly decent in the snow, so I know I can handle driving in Iowa winters...I've been doing it for about 8 yrs. Anyways, I was looking at a 2010 Kia Sportage 2WD (front) and was worried about how it will do in the lovely winters in Iowa. Hope someone can help!
The single most important factor, regarless of 4wd vs FWD - is TIRES.
Forget the SUV debate, that's just marketing. Tires, tires, tires - good snow tread winter tires. That is 90% of the story of driving in the snow.
Now, that being said, 4wd is nice to have, but not a necessity to most of the posters here who go through there 2 snow storms a year, ground clearance of course if you drive through deep snow (a factor for maybe a fraction of the posters here).
There was a post about this in the Alaska forum recently, amazing how many do just fine, thank you very much, with there FWD vehicle in the 6 month long season of snow...with the proper tires of course.

Full disclosure statement - this is coming from a 4wd SUV owner.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 PM

898 posts, read 1,194,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The single most important factor, regarless of 4wd vs FWD - is TIRES.
Forget the SUV debate, that's just marketing. Tires, tires, tires - good snow tread winter tires. That is 90% of the story of driving in the snow.
Now, that being said, 4wd is nice to have, but not a necessity to most of the posters here who go through there 2 snow storms a year, ground clearance of course if you drive through deep snow (a factor for maybe a fraction of the posters here).
There was a post about this in the Alaska forum recently, amazing how many do just fine, thank you very much, with there FWD vehicle in the 6 month long season of snow...with the proper tires of course.

Full disclosure statement - this is coming from a 4wd SUV owner.
I have a 4x4 pickup, and I'll say that 4x4 is great for getting going uphill and for deep snow, but that it isn't really a necessity. In fact, I drove it in 4x4 more in the summer (up in northern Maine fishing in the woods) than I ever did in the winter.

In that truck, I found the manual transmission and deep-tread tires to be far greater assets to me in the snow than 4x4. These days I'm fortunate enough that I don't have to drive in the snow that often. I work for a school, so when the kids have a snow day, so do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or