U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM

8,159 posts, read 26,455,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
I don't know as I've ever seen an owners' manual call for a flush. I think most call for a draining, filter change, and refill. That's what I did on my Dodge Caravan. It was still going on the original transmission when I gave it away with over 200,000 miles on it.
My 2003 Intrepid manual says it's a ''lifetime'' fluid, unless you're using it as a taxi cab and then it's a 48k interval for a pan drop, fluid & filter. Matter of fact I haven't ever seen a manual that recommended a ''T-Tech'' type flush. And I've got some horror stories on those machines.

I had the service done around 60k because of a TSB that was covered under the 7/70 warranty. Right now it's still running welll @ 191k but I haven't touched it since. I'm not sure if I'll spend the money since this car is getting closer and closer to throw-away status.

I want to say Jeeps need it more often, at the same time as the rear diff. Proper fluid is essential.

BTW, in addition to what I said about draining the above, if it comes to that also they should drain the trans fluid from the radiator, any auxiliary coolers, and all the fluid lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,570,689 times
There is a lot of debate between people as to what is the proper maintenance schedule to follow. A lot of "old school" ideas regarding oil, trans, diff and coolant changes are still out there and supported by a lot of people.

Personally my recommendation is to follow exactly what the owners manual tells you to do and use the fluids they recommend. The important point here is that many recommend a "regular" and "severe" use schedule depending on your driving habits. Most people fall into the "severe" category and those intervals tend to be closer to the "old school" thoughts. Further complicating it is the service industry (particularly the chains) that continue to advocate and recommend more aggressive service intervals.

Trans, diff and coolant seem to be the areas that still get the most debate and most modern cars are on 50k, 75k or even 100k mile schedules for these fluids. IMO doing it simply because you "should" change your fluid at 30k miles, because that is what was recommended in the past is simply throwing money away.

Think about it this way. The folks who built and sold you the car say the interval should be "x". The people who make a living off selling services to your vehicles recommend an interval that is much more frequent than "x".

Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 PM

7,678 posts, read 5,657,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
The rule of thumb that many believe is that if you waited that long (127k miles) for the first trans flush, to not do it.. You have just proved what many others believe that if you wait that long and install new trans fluid it will cause a trans failier. What some do it to remove the old fluid and strain it to get out the large particles and reinstall the old fluid.. Just for this reason. ALWAYS change the trans fluid every 30k miles or so and you won't have this issue.

And I do not think you will be successful at getting the shop to pay for a new trans
Yep, that's a good rule of thumb and lots and lots of us learned it the hard way.

I learned my lesson back in '88 when I bought a gorgeous, but high mileage, '77 Cutlass. Great car - ran perfect - shifted perfect. I took it to get the oil changed..and I think it was one of those Jiffy Lube type places..and they suggested a transmission fluid change. I had looked at the fluid and knew it looked way overdue, so I thought changing it was the best thing I could do for the transmission. Wrong - within a short time I lost reverse. Couldn't afford to overhaul it, so had to sell it real cheap. A real shame, because it was otherwise almost mint and a rare find.

I think I had heard the don't change it after high mileage advice a time or two, but I didn't give it any credence..thought it was an old wives tale. I found out the hard way that it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or