U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,824,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I hate pushy salesmen, I get very irritated very quickly when someone who usually has little knowledge of the product, tries to convince me it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm a car enthusiast but dislike sitting in a dealership for over an hour, I simply don't have the time for that nonsense. I research my vehicles and figure out the absolute maximum that I'm willing to pay for it and go from there. I will only negotiate over the phone, I'm not going to put up with that "I have to ask my manager" BS.
LOL....know how the salesman always circles the "final" # in red pen and says he has to take it to the bossman? How he'll do his best to convince his boss, but man, this will be the deal of the century if he okays it?
We started taking our own red pen to the dealerships....DH whips it out, circles the "final" # we are willing to shell out and tells him to take it into bossman. Always gets a chuckle out of the salesman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
They've all gone into politics.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im...er.youtube.jpg

Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,345,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
@Vinsanity i actually met a middle eastern guy who worked a dealership i was shopping at and he knew a lot about what he was selling(couldn't answer the HP question though). he had his favorite cars which he showed me first, then went to look up information about any other car i asked about. he then offered the keys. he was a real salesman who was trying to satisfy a customer without taking shortcuts or being lazy. he ended up selling a car to a friend of mine at a later date, but i had my heart set on another car anyways.
it sounds like he knew how to communicate, though. The point I was trying to express was that I've never encountered a car salesperson that had a problem communicating.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 PM

255 posts, read 688,942 times
I was with my father car shopping a few years ago. The salesman said he'll be right back and never came back (Mercedes). When I bought my last car a couple months ago (Nissan), the salesman had poor english and I finished his sentences a few times because he couldn't think of the correct word to use. But he was very pushy. Used the, "What can I do to get you into this car today" line. I hate that. Before that, I visited a Acura dealer to test drive a TL and the salesman was pretty laid-back. Told him I wasn't ready to buy and he was fine with that. That is the way a salesman should be.

I think the amount of "pushy-ness" a salesman presents depends on the time of year and month. Of course they might be pushy if they have next year's models coming in and last years models still sitting. I would also bet that luxury brand salesmen are more laid back than Toyota, Honda, etc.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,884,454 times
I used to buy cars from the same dealer (I think my family has purchased 20 or so from the same person), but they stopped carrying the brand I wanted, so last time I had to go out and find someone new. On a whim, I stopped into a dealership I had never been to, met a really nice salesman, he knew everything about the products, right down to specifications. I find this to be rare, though. I ended up buying a car and driving home in 2 hours, and I hadn't planned on buying that day.

Unfortunately I got an email a few months ago that there was a new salesman assigned to me, so I assume that my guy left. I'd consider buying a different brand if I could work with the him again, but I don't know where he went or if he is still even in the business.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 PM

41 posts, read 152,628 times
Quote:
I hate pushy salesmen, I get very irritated very quickly when someone who usually has little knowledge of the product, tries to convince me it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm a car enthusiast but dislike sitting in a dealership for over an hour, I simply don't have the time for that nonsense. I research my vehicles and figure out the absolute maximum that I'm willing to pay for it and go from there. I will only negotiate over the phone, I'm not going to put up with that "I have to ask my manager" BS.
Were you able to negotiate much? You didn't get the "Internet price is my lowest price" spiel?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,730,625 times
Good riddance to the old fashioned car salesman, but they seem to be alive and well if you know where to look. Three years ago I came across one with an equally old fashioned manager who tried to charge me a high interest rate for a two year old car. I accused him of usury right in front of his other customers, and then bought my new Saturn with a typical GMAC fire sale interest rate. During this time period I visited a Toyota dealership where the salesman and his boss pretty much wouldn't let me leave without buying (and wouldn't look for the Camry CE I wanted; another Toyota dealership wouldn't either) and a Chrysler dealership where the salesman tried to talk me into a lease after I told him we were planning on putting 35K on it. The Saturn guy was okay, he's at a Chevy dealership now, but I don't want another Chevy.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,930,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyOaksGirl View Post
Were you able to negotiate much? You didn't get the "Internet price is my lowest price" spiel?
The dealership was asking $46K and I talked them down to $42K with TTL included which I don't feel was a bad deal at all. I received $26K for my '07 Yukon Denali which was on-par with the KBB value. If I went to the dealership I MAY have been able to talk them down another thousand but I feel I negotiated to a price that left some profit for them but still was a decent price for me.

I did enough research to know what I wanted and how much I was willing to pay so I don't have any regrets what-so-ever.

Love my F-150.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:14 AM

41 posts, read 152,628 times
Quote:
The dealership was asking $46K and I talked them down to $42K with TTL included which I don't feel was a bad deal at all. I received $26K for my '07 Yukon Denali which was on-par with the KBB value. If I went to the dealership I MAY have been able to talk them down another thousand but I feel I negotiated to a price that left some profit for them but still was a decent price for me.

I did enough research to know what I wanted and how much I was willing to pay so I don't have any regrets what-so-ever.

Love my F-150.
Maybe I should hire you as my negotiator! I can't get my guy down more than $500 for a Santa Fe I'm looking at, but maybe -- given the difference in the two vehicles we're comparing -- that's a fair reduction compared to your $4K. Plus, I'm not trading anything in, so he seems pretty unwilling to work with me.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 AM

4,486 posts, read 14,930,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyOaksGirl View Post
Maybe I should hire you as my negotiator! I can't get my guy down more than $500 for a Santa Fe I'm looking at, but maybe -- given the difference in the two vehicles we're comparing -- that's a fair reduction compared to your $4K. Plus, I'm not trading anything in, so he seems pretty unwilling to work with me.
Well they probably are thinking they can ********* over because:

1) You're a woman (some car dealerships wrongly assume women know nothing about cars)
2) You seem set on this certain vehicle

Walk away if you don't like the price you're getting, there is no such thing as "manners" in a car dealership. If the salesman won't budge, just get up and walk out the front door. Sometimes they'll come after you and sometimes they'll let you go. If they aren't willing to work with you on a somewhat large purchase...LEAVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive