U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM

239 posts, read 763,184 times

Advertisements

I was out last week looking for a car for the first time in six years and wsa shocked how passive and unaggressive the sales people were at the various dealers I visited. Most of the dozen or so people we talked to were immigrants. English was a second language to them. (Congrads to them for following the American Dream but I wonder if car sales is the best field for someone with weak English skills and a lack of understanding of the American culture and consumer)

In the past when I looked for a car I always use to enjoy the give and take with the old fashioned automobile sales professsionals. They knew how to communicate, knew human nature and could really help me with my choice of cars. Sure the getting the best price for my trade and new car was kind of a pain but it was also fun at times.

Now it seems like the Internet has taken the professionals out of the car sales business. Maybe there is no money to be made anymore due to fixed prices and the Internet.

Have you noticed a decrease in the number of real professionals in the car dealerships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 AM

6,850 posts, read 14,642,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I was out last week looking for a car for the first time in six years and wsa shocked how passive and unaggressive the sales people were at the various dealers I visited. Most of the dozen or so people we talked to were immigrants. English was a second language to them. (Congrads to them for following the American Dream but I wonder if car sales is the best field for someone with weak English skills and a lack of understanding of the American culture and consumer)

In the past when I looked for a car I always use to enjoy the give and take with the old fashioned automobile sales professsionals. They knew how to communicate, knew human nature and could really help me with my choice of cars. Sure the getting the best price for my trade and new car was kind of a pain but it was also fun at times.

Now it seems like the Internet has taken the professionals out of the car sales business. Maybe there is no money to be made anymore due to fixed prices and the Internet.

Have you noticed a decrease in the number of real professionals in the car dealerships?
Well, people like me, who absolutely hated the sales tactics and ridiculous "let me check with my manager while you sit here in this little room" thing started shopping on-line. The last car I bought, I did all of my negotiating on-line.

And I don't think the old-fashioned style equaled "professionalism" either. Many, many salesmen I talked to knew less about cars than I did and while it was entertaining listening to them discuss automotive suspension system which they clearly knew nothing about, it was also very annoying.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:36 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,675,039 times
Last time I talked with an "old fasioned salesman" he tried to sell me a $800 Chevy Alero for $5500 after the discount. What a POS. I did not bother going back to that place and probably never will.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:51 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,528,372 times
If there's anything I hate, is a pushy salesman. Whether it's cars, appliances, furniture, or anything in between. My last experience at a Honda dealership was refreshing. No pressure, no games. The only pressure was them trying to sell me an extended warranty which I declined. Otherwise, it was a much improved experience over the slimy scumbags I've dealt with in the past.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM

239 posts, read 763,184 times
OK, I agree that many of the salesmen of the past at car dealerships were kind of sleasy, but I am still shocked by the lack of knowledge and poor communications skills of the people working at the dealers today. Yes, I know some of you will tell me about the wonderful salesperson you worked with, good, but I wonder what happened to most of the old fashioned salespeople who use to work at car dealers. Anyone else notice the change?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,476,682 times
More than one thing going on there. First, the passive approach is a strategy. they think it works better. Makes people less likely to want to hondle over every detail. After all, what other business has to negotiate a separate deal with every customer?

Second, they don't want real car enthusiasts any more. Because the cars are crap and a real car man would have to be a total liar to sell what is offered today. Better to get some kid who was a host at Applebee's and give him 10 hours of propaganda disguised as product information training and let him go at it.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,349,876 times
I dunno, I've never come across a car salesman that didn't speak English fluently, and this includes pretty much all the dealers at the Santa Ana Auto Mall.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 PM

968 posts, read 2,105,112 times
i ask one thing of every car i test, "how much horsepower does it have?"

no salesman has ever answered that for me, but they'll chime all day on the "superior quality that the new macpherson struts have"....

yeah, thats when i walk away.

@Vinsanity i actually met a middle eastern guy who worked a dealership i was shopping at and he knew a lot about what he was selling(couldn't answer the HP question though). he had his favorite cars which he showed me first, then went to look up information about any other car i asked about. he then offered the keys. he was a real salesman who was trying to satisfy a customer without taking shortcuts or being lazy. he ended up selling a car to a friend of mine at a later date, but i had my heart set on another car anyways.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:21 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,950,790 times
I hate pushy salesmen, I get very irritated very quickly when someone who usually has little knowledge of the product, tries to convince me it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm a car enthusiast but dislike sitting in a dealership for over an hour, I simply don't have the time for that nonsense. I research my vehicles and figure out the absolute maximum that I'm willing to pay for it and go from there. I will only negotiate over the phone, I'm not going to put up with that "I have to ask my manager" BS.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 PM

10,091 posts, read 35,878,474 times
The "Aggressive Car Sales Person" went out years ago. They are taught the passive approach. And basically, still sleazy. Unless you've done your homework, they will still try and tell you what THEY THINK you want to hear. Nothing worse than a salesman who doesn't know his product. Of course, most people have the internet and a wealth of info at their finger tips, so hopefully, the salesman can at least keep his head above water in a conversation about the car he is trying to sell.
I swear, my DH loves the buying game, more than the actual purchase!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive