U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM

3,190 posts, read 2,216,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Late 70's in L.A.

Cragar and Centerline are L.A. based companies. Were their wheels popular outside of SoCal?

What is the name of the type of inlet to a carburetor which looks like a punch bowl sized velocity stack with no visible filter element?

So, what was or is cruising around your high school?

I'm probably closer to your age....

Cragar SS wheels were the cat's meow here in Pennsylvania too.

As far as that carb inlet goes...you got me?? It snows and rains here so something like that (or even removing the hood completely) wasn't something anyone did. Ram Air or functioning shaker hood scoops were more the norm with muscle cars. Tarantula hi-rise intakes manifolds were popular.

Cars?: Chevelle SS, GTO, 442, AMX or Javelins, Roadrunners, Cudas, Yenko powered Chevys, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM

6,700 posts, read 16,216,553 times
Morgan Hill around 2000.. I saw damn near everything. Some of the more unusual ones were a Fiat X1/9, orange Porsche 914, International Scout, a black Mercedes S500 no doubt belonging to the drug dealer kingpin, and then my Celica which had the very unusual option of a trailer hitch, which I put a bike rack on..

Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,939,203 times
I graduated in '81 up in the PNW. Very similar to what the OP described, with jacked up musclecars and a number of little japanese cars. Few Europeans, except for stuff that was oddball then AND now (renaults, MGs, etc). Cragars and slotted mags were common with the musclecar set. We didn't have the Cali lowrider scene (with flake paint and hydraulics), instead having a number of permanently low cars with simple paint jobs. In high school I had a customized '62 Mercury Comet, a '72 Pinto race car, and for my senior year, I traded the Comet for a '71 Torino GT w/429 Super Cobra Jet:

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cvetters3/torinoprimer1.jpg/img]

Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM

6,339 posts, read 6,849,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Cragar and Centerline are L.A. based companies. Were their wheels popular outside of SoCal?

What is the name of the type of inlet to a carburetor which looks like a punch bowl sized velocity stack with no visible filter element?
Had many sets of Cragar S/S wheels, but only one set of Centerlines.

If this is what you're talking about, you've already called it. It was known as a velocity stack.

If there were eight small ones, it was a Hilborn fuel injection setup.
Attached Thumbnails
What is/was cruising around high schools?-velocity-stack.jpg  

Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,939,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
If there were eight small ones, it was a Hilborn fuel injection setup.
it was usually Hilborn if they were evenly sized, most likely Crower if they were different sizes. This was the Crower "calliope" injection setup:

Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM

4,487 posts, read 9,799,496 times
When I graduated back in 1998, you would see a slew of different vehicles but many were trucks. I lived in rural Iowa so the parking lot had about 40% pickups then a mishmash of American-made cars and a few SUV's. I had a 1990 Cadillac Eldorado with a 4.5L engine...it could put to shame some of the Mustangs back in the day.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:28 PM

11,200 posts, read 9,353,217 times
I graduated in the mid-90's

I remember lots of lifted 80's Ford and Chevy pickups, Jeeps, hand-me-down stationwagons and sedans.

Not me though... I was 'da bomb in my surplus 70s mailtruck, complete with rattle-can camo paint job. There was something inexplicably cool about driving on the wrong side of the ride to the 16 year old version of me.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:01 PM

471 posts, read 573,576 times
Thanks Gimme3steps, that's what I was thinking about. My memory may be faulty but I recall seeing two of them in tandem? And I thought that a rag was tossed into the stack when it sprinkled. When I think of velocity stacks I usually think of those smaller ones you mentioned (both evenly and unevenly sized) and as posted above by Merc63. I guess I thought the velocity stack effect didn't work with larger bores. I usually associate the small ones with race cars (often with a mesh screen over the opening). So was the large stack associated with a particular carburetor or was it attachable to any set-up?

Merc63, was your racing Pinto the rare Pangra? I think I've only seen one on the street. Your Torino SCJ looks like an awesome vehicle.

In high school the majority of student cars were student cars: parental hand-me-downs and inexpensive used cars. I just listed the really memorable ones that were racing up and down the street in front of school.

Some of you folks have listed a very impressive collection of high school rides.

So is "jacked up muscle car" an official term for the look?

Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,811,836 times
Years 1999-2003.

Every single female drove a V6 Mustang. Explorers and 4-runners were popular with the prep crowd.

I drove an '86 Chevy C10.

Some of my friends cars included:

'96 Cobra Mustang
'95 C1500 Shortbed with a 454ci bb
'69 Camaro SS. It was fun riding to school with this guy. Everytime we were about to go around a curve he would shout "LEAN IN, LEAN INTO THE CURVE!" It wasn't in the best shape but she still had some pep.
'97 Chevy K1500 with mud tires and with a 454ci bb
'72 Bronco with a built 302ci. Customized to be a convertible.
'70 Corvette with a 350ci sb
'02 Dodge Dakota R/T with a built engine(Cannot remember what that truck had but he had the motor sent to FL somewhere to produce 400hp.)

We were basically the auto crowd of high school. We all had automechanics together.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 PM

7,437 posts, read 7,615,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
tvdxer, not everyone in certain states is like that. I'm an NJer, and I have a Nissan Altima Hybrid. That's not "keeping up with the Jones" car.
I know I was just saying that the epidemic of "keeping up with the joneses" is more pronounced in some places than others.

Interestingly, though I attended an affluent (for the area) high school, the most "showy" car there was a new Mustang, and that was far more showy than the second most showy car. My sister is that age now, and she says the most expensive car in the lot is a 2010 Malibu...there are no M-Bs, BMWs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive