U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I'm still waiting If you picked some nutcake idea like the steering wheel getting stuck or the gas pedal on the floor or the wheels falling off, you could cite me a dozen cases where someone got sued or someone had a wreck. But this interesting theory about a sidewall blowout from a repair just seems to elude you. I wonder why that is? Oh, I have an idea. Maybe its because it doesn't happen.
Actually it's because nobody is stupid enough to attempt a sidewall repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 01:44 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I was just about to make that exact same post.

And now that the poster has been given pictures and writings explaining why it's a bad idea to try and fix a sidewall, he/she decides to sidestep that and only comment on something that was mentioned as a bi-sentence in the first place.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:46 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Quote:

So basically we agree: Its never happened. Seems like that settles it. But why did you post all that stupid stuff about liability if it never happened?

Oh, are you still waiting for me to prove something never happened? Oh that's makes sense. Not. How about one of you geniuses get on Google and come up with a few cases where it did? Huh?

Old 09-05-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So basically we agree: Its never happened. Seems like that settles it. But why did you post all that stupid stuff about liability if it never happened?

Oh, are you still waiting for me to prove something never happened? Oh that's makes sense. Not. How about one of you geniuses get on Google and come up with a few cases where it did? Huh?
See above post.

And I doubt we'll agree on anything.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:29 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,759,379 times
hey guys; radial tires don't have a structural sidewall! That's why you don't drive on them while flat (not like bias ply back in the day) and that's why, after several times buying used radials, I have only bought new tires for the last twenty-five years!

this thread is getting to be "dog pile on the rabbit"!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM

747 posts, read 2,209,252 times
Quote:

It "never happened" because "nobody was stupid enough to attempt it" - how does that make it safe?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:17 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
You're kidding, right? With all of the hundreds of millions of tires repaired by an array of yahoos in every manner and means, you don't think its important that no one has cited a case of a sidewall repair blowout resulting in liability? I think that argument speaks for itself.

You don't think that people repair sidewall nail holes? Google it and see. I get 98000. Is that enough? You can even buy a kit or read an article about it: http://www.ehow.com/how_5208517_repa...age-tires.html

http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/plugnplug.html

How many could I cite? A hundred?

So, it has never happened because people are too smart to repair a hole in a tire outside the horizontal plane of teh tread, huh. Have you ever seen an off road tire? They have tread half way up the sidewall.

Let me guess George Costanza, you're a guy who probably have never even had your spare out of the trunk, or do you even have a car?

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-07-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 12:45 PM

If you would have bothered to read a few of those 98000 results from google you would have realized (maybe) those were intended for the do it yourselfer as a temporary fix. Of course there's no liability involved. Who are you going to sue, yourself?

Any shop in the business knows that a tire cannot safely be repaired if it has sidewall damage. Feel free to have at it yourself. Just stay away from me on the highway.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,630,498 times
Quote:
Have you ever seen an off road tire? They have tread half way up the sidewall.

Let me guess George Costanza, you're a guy who probably have never even had your spare out of the trunk, or do you even have a car?
An off road tire is also a lot more reinforced.

I'm starting to wonder if you've ever even been in a car, let alone owned one.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:43 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times
Speaking from a fleet management and maintenance perspective, no shop will touch a sidewall repair for liability reasons. It CAN be done, but is only a temporary fix. True off-road tires are very different from passenger radials and even then most tire shops won't touch a sidewall repair and even the specialty off-road shops aren't a sure thing.

When it comes to radial tires, sidewall damage = toast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or