U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:16 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,129,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Yikes! This thread certainly took a turn while I was away!
We are home....SHE is home...safely tucked away in the garage....SHE is everything and more in what we had expected. AWESOME ride, AWESOME handling....pics to come....but first she needs to be washed and detailed...tomorrow is another day. I'm beat...been driving since 5am this morning. (yawn)
Details on the trip tomorrow.
Glad she safely made it home !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 12:19 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,129,891 times
Quote:
A day of pure enjoyment yesterday...driving the newbie..getting her State inspection and starting the registration process. Of course, after cleaning, detailing, the heavens opened up on us again....Guess what I'm headed out to do right now? Her first car show is tonight!

Road Trip was all it was expected to be. Of course, two officers, one a local in Georgia, the other, a Trooper in Mississippi, saw fit to pull ME over (had to be while I was driving) to just view the car! Talk about looking in your rearview and seeing flashing lights...instant heart failure...and DH asking "What did you do NOW?" Both Officers

gave excuses of having to check the registration....and then asked to see the car. Trooper must have snapped 20 pics of it.
Pics below..taken by a friend of ours...before the rain yesterday:

Since I don't get very technical about the cars...Here's DH's assessment written on an R8 forum we belong to:

Finally picked up the 2011 R8 V10 Spyder this week. Made an 1100 mile, 2 day trip home in flawless fashion. Awesome car, even as we tried to mind the break-in protocols. Not a single issue with the car, although the cops stopped us twice, just to see the car and take pictures. Talk about exercising the heart!

Initial impressions, vs our former V8 coupe:
- Engine sound is definitely better at high revs in the V10, but lower revs and idle favor the V8. Typical difference for a V8 vs any V10 or V12. Although, Audi did do a pretty good job getting a V10 to sound good.
- While seeming quicker than the V8, it's not an overpowering difference. For most driving and drivers, either engine set-up should be fine and comparable. It's just not a huge difference.
- Ride in the (V10) spyder vs the (V8) coupe seemed mostly the same. Maybe a bit more harshness in the spyder, but possibly due to suspension stiffening for the chop-top and the different engine weights, etc.
- Steering, MT6 and other controls are the same. Overall handling feels equal.
- Upgraded Nav video is somewhat better, but not vast.
- Road noise is definitely more noticeable in the spyder, with top up. Not bad, just more.
- Some slight body flex in the spyder, as is normally expected, but not much. Very firm, overall composition.
- Sight lines for windshield and especially over the quarters is somewhat compromised in the spyder. I put stick-on fish-eyes on all of my exterior mirrors to help compensate the rear quarter views.
- Top down driving is heavenly and even the drop down rear window in the spyder is a hoot. The best of all worlds and oh what sounds the pipes make, at higher revs, with the top down. It's what the spyder is all about! Minimal wind buffeting and conversation is OK with top down. The rear window acts as a good wind block and I see no reason to ever wrestle the other hard wind block into place.
And the picture takers are out all over the roadways! We should charge for photo's!
Wowow ! She is very pretty ! Even the cops loved her , lol !

Old 09-11-2010, 12:23 PM
NSX

865 posts, read 1,050,478 times
Nice car, I'm sure you're going to have fun with it!

Looking at it, I can definitely see the lines of the Gallardo Spyder in your R8....

Old 09-11-2010, 01:56 PM

11,339 posts, read 9,716,187 times
Very nice indeed. Sure glad you had a nice trip coming home.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:19 PM

9,631 posts, read 22,596,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I could honestly care less about the foriegn jobby. That '67 big block is devine.
LOL...Two entirely different cars! One (the BB) raw power...the other: a bit more refined!

Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
While the 5.2 V-10 w/525hp and 391lb torque in the R8 Spyder is impressive, in my "opinion" a 3.6L twin turbo w/612hp and 516lb torque in a lighter 911 GT2 RS would have been my choice. Plus there's no question about the body style being iconic and more aerodynamic.
They have one coming in to our Porsche dealer here...We were offered a shot at it...but, not for us. I was looking for a daily driver....the GT2...more a a basic, bare to the bones racer...and not anywhere near as comfortable to drive.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:39 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,495,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Okay, okay, I admit my question was rude. But it was not undeserved by the OP.

So many people are struggling, so many are having a hard time...and she makes a thread specifically designed to flaunt her extravagantly expensive car. That, I feel, is wrong - just as wrong as me asking her what she does and what she makes. So have at it.
Remember this is a car sub-forum, and showing our cars from time to time is not only ok, but encouraged. Be happy she's sharing her toys with us. I love eye candy, and good news. Aren't you tired of negativity on City Data? This thread is quite the opposite. Embrace it for what it is.

I hope you recover from the cancer dude!! I wish that on no man or woman. Get well, don't stress but appreciate things such as looking at a fine piece of machinery. Life is short. Don't spend time being miserable. Take care.

Quote:
Yikes! This thread certainly took a turn while I was away!
We are home....SHE is home...safely tucked away in the garage....SHE is everything and more in what we had expected. AWESOME ride, AWESOME handling....pics to come....but first she needs to be washed and detailed...tomorrow is another day. I'm beat...been driving since 5am this morning. (yawn)
Details on the trip tomorrow.

SWEET!!! I prefer the coupe, but this thing is a beauty. Did you drive through Tennessee? If not, Georgia mountains should have been fun to drive through. Any scenic route pics? Do share.

Don't discredit the Porsche 911 GT2.

I see another Porsche in the near future for myself (A used 911 Turbo in a year or two). I'm not selling the one I have now.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:46 PM

860 posts, read 1,741,419 times
Sounds like you had a great road trip!! Welcome home!

Old 09-11-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Remember this is a car sub-forum, and showing our cars from time to time is not only ok, but encouraged. Be happy she's sharing her toys with us. I love eye candy, and good news. Aren't you tired of negativity on City Data? This thread is quite the opposite. Embrace it for what it is.

I hope you recover from the cancer dude!! I wish that on no man or woman. Get well, don't stress but appreciate things such as looking at a fine piece of machinery. Life is short. Don't spend time being miserable. Take care.

SWEET!!! I prefer the coupe, but this thing is a beauty. Did you drive through Tennessee? If not, Georgia mountains should have been fun to drive through. Any scenic route pics? Do share.

Don't discredit the Porsche 911 GT2.

I see another Porsche in the near future for myself (A used 911 Turbo in a year or two). I'm not selling the one I have now.
Oh...we would never discount Porsche. Have had a few...and toyed (in fact, one was ordered with our name on it) with the idea of a new 911 Turbo. GT Silver! But, opted out of it, with the arrival of the Spyder and Vette. That is where the Z came in....
But the GT2 is just too bare bones for my liking. Drove a GT3 and thought my bones would be rattled to death. I wanted something more refined.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:04 AM

17,713 posts, read 20,474,950 times
Congratulations !!! I know you have been so excited waiting for her arrival.

I will be coming to Houston for business in the next couple months and I drive a 6 speed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive