U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,611,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Not speaking of you, but today's cars are more comfortable.
"More comfortable?" LOL!

Quote:
I'm under the impression it's a generational things. I may be wrong, but some of you are in your 50s and 60s. Last I checked many of GM and Ford's designs are being designed in Europe & Australia to compete with the world's best. The whole behemoth crap is not coming back.
What about the biggest currently made Rolls-Royce (229.7" or 19.14 feet) or the Maybach (242" or 20.16 feet)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:14 PM

17,484 posts, read 18,638,752 times
Are those daily drivers in your neighborhood?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:03 PM

2,671 posts, read 5,409,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
Are the driving lanes even wide enough anymore.
LOL. Like I said, these things need to be in the ocean, used as artificial reefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Fortunately, not everyone agrees with your opinion.

(And there are nice, big parking spaces where I live. Very rare when I can't park my 19-foot long '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham or my 21-foot long '76 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousine.)
I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Let's look at most parking lots these days, and most garages that are built today (cookie cutter subdivisions). How many of them are built with these barges in mind? Hardly any. You may be the exception with your cars. Look in your neighborhood, and tell me how many of your neighbors have the same types and sizes of cars (As you). Most cars today are not as long as your 19 and 21 footers. There are less of these types of cars today.

By the look of things, it looks like the next generation is also looking to scale down on so many levels. (housing, cars etc).

Is excess gone? I can't say for sure, but the way things are looking, it may take a long time to come back.

Quote:
"More comfortable?" LOL!

I'm glad you like my sense of humor.

I said it before, if comfort to someone, is the feeling of being on a sofa, or on water then yes, these oversized vehicles may fit the bill. But I'm still relatively young (mid 30s), in shape and being out of touch with the road is not an option. I actually like to drive and get feedback when I'm on the road. Let's be real. None of these big vehicles know a thing about feedback, or steering feel. They're numb.

My 05 Avalon is too comfy (to me) as is. For long days in traffic, or longer than normail trips, it's fine. But on weekends, when I feel the need to unwind, it just can't do. Good thing, I have many cars for many reasons and moods.

When I fly to NY on business, I get Black Limo Service (they're just regular, black Lincoln Town cars. They just call them that for whatever reason).
They're comfy, but I'm a passenger, being chauffeured to my destination. I could care less about feedback then, but driving one everyday would drive me to . Too boring. And again, they're not as big as the cars in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
What about the biggest currently made Rolls-Royce (229.7" or 19.14 feet) or the Maybach (242" or 20.16 feet)?

Yes, what about them?

We can clearly see that they represend sheer excess. They're for people who can fork out hundreds of thousands of dollars to drive them, or more than likely BE DRIVEN in them.

They're the exception. They're not for the average joe. Thank Goodness.

Look around. Even the domestic automakers are getting a hint. Most of their cars are smaller than they were. How on earth can they compete globally with things too big for most roads? Even for most American drivers, they figured their cars were too big.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
LOL. Like I said, these things need to be in the ocean, used as artificial reefs.
You are exaggerating. They are not that big! Many of them feel smaller when you drive them compared to when you just look at the exterior.

Quote:
I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Let's look at most parking lots these days, and most garages that are built today (cookie cutter subdivisions). How many of them are built with these barges in mind? Hardly any. You may be the exception with your cars. Look in your neighborhood, and tell me how many of your neighbors have the same types and sizes of cars (As you). Most cars today are not as long as your 19 and 21 footers. There are less of these types of cars today.

By the look of things, it looks like the next generation is also looking to scale down on so many levels. (housing, cars etc).
I don't buy my cars based on how big the spaces in parking lots are. I buy cars I like. A neighbor down the street has a '59 Edsel which is parked in the garage. And there are plenty of big cars at the weekly (Friday night) car gathering I sometimes stop by.

Quote:
Is excess gone? I can't say for sure, but the way things are looking, it may take a long time to come back.
Excess is not gone. I see plenty of huge SUVs and trucks. Some of which weigh more than my cars!

Quote:
I said it before, if comfort to someone, is the feeling of being on a sofa, or on water then yes, these oversized vehicles may fit the bill. But I'm still relatively young (mid 30s), in shape and being out of touch with the road is not an option. I actually like to drive and get feedback when I'm on the road. Let's be real. None of these big vehicles know a thing about feedback, or steering feel. They're numb.
Age is not really a factor. I've been a fan of '50s-'70s Cadillacs since I was 14 years old.

Quote:
My 05 Avalon is too comfy (to me) as is. For long days in traffic, or longer than normail trips, it's fine. But on weekends, when I feel the need to unwind, it just can't do. Good thing, I have many cars for many reasons and moods.
If you think an Avalon is "too comfy" you should go for a ride in my cars or some of my friend's cars. Those have true comfort.

Quote:
When I fly to NY on business, I get Black Limo Service (they're just regular, black Lincoln Town cars. They just call them that for whatever reason).
They're comfy, but I'm a passenger, being chauffeured to my destination. I could care less about feedback then, but driving one everyday would drive me to . Too boring. And again, they're not as big as the cars in this thread.
I own a Town Car. They are hard to beat on the freeway. It practically glides down the road, is very quiet and very smooth.

Quote:
Yes, what about them?

We can clearly see that they represend sheer excess. They're for people who can fork out hundreds of thousands of dollars to drive them, or more than likely BE DRIVEN in them.

They're the exception. They're not for the average joe. Thank Goodness.

Look around. Even the domestic automakers are getting a hint. Most of their cars are smaller than they were. How on earth can they compete globally with things too big for most roads? Even for most American drivers, they figured their cars were too big.
The point is that 19- and 20-foot long cars are being built in Europe. Why not here in America (again)? Years ago there was something known as variety. Not everyone wants to drive a cramped, egg-shaped car.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:27 PM

970 posts, read 2,540,373 times
Quote:
Glad they're gone. Glad they're NEVER coming back!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,228,903 times
Nothing tops the pimp ride of the Deuce and quarter with the 455ci.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 PM

2,671 posts, read 5,409,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post

YES, IT'S AN SUV...NOT A CAR....I REST MY CASE.

RIF!!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
YES, IT'S AN SUV...NOT A CAR....I REST MY CASE.

RIF!!!!
What is the difference? It is driving in lanes and parking in parking spaces which are "too small."

Old 10-09-2010, 10:18 AM

970 posts, read 2,540,373 times
Quote:
What is the difference? It is driving in lanes and parking in parking spaces which are "too small."
Yeah, that was the point I was going for. Huge, gas-guzzling sedans have evolved into huge, gas-guzzling SUV's. Parking spots and lanes, for the most part, have stayed the same size for the last 30-40 someodd years.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Yeah, that was the point I was going for. Huge, gas-guzzling sedans have evolved into huge, gas-guzzling SUV's. Parking spots and lanes, for the most part, have stayed the same size for the last 30-40 someodd years.
It's kind of funny, in a way. The auto companies just went from building "huge" cars to "huge" SUVs and trucks.
Those who don't like huge car probably realized they were better off before they complained!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive