U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 06:34 PM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times

Advertisements

Reading the sidewall discussion reminded me to post. We bought 4 new tires 10 months ago (Yokohama Avid TRZ). The one on the front passenger side had a sidewall damage and went flat. We got it to the tire shop at 7 pm (closes at 8). The only option we had was a new one to replace the flat one. That was done, but now I don't like how it handles with one new one on the front and 3 older ones on the other wheels. My question is: What should we do?

1. Buy another new tire to match the new one on the right? (can't really afford this unless it is absolutely required)

2. Rotate tires so the new one is on the back for a while? (rotation scheduled on the old tires in a month or so anyways). This option is free, but question is will it really improve the handling to have matching tires on the front wheels and the new one on the back?

2A Subset of option 2 - when it is time to rotate, rotate only 2 tires so that the new one stays up front until the next rotation? I am wondering about that because the tires wear out faster on the front then the back so maybe leaving on the front for an extra time will even out, sort of, with the previous tires. I would probably need to put up with the poor handling for a while if I do this, but if it works it could be worth it. (does this idea make any sense at all to anyone else?)

3. Just rotate at the normal schedule - the van, and me, will get used to it.

Which option(s) make sense? I know no. 1 makes sense, but our finances are extremely tight. Will do it though if there is no other way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,197,283 times
Have you checked that all 4 tires are inflated to the same pressure too? It might just be that the one tire was inflated to a different pressure ...

Old 09-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Have you checked that all 4 tires are inflated to the same pressure too? It might just be that the one tire was inflated to a different pressure ...
That's something I thought of, but forgot to check. Will check in the morning.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Have all 4 wheels balanced.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Have all 4 wheels balanced.
Can you elaborate? The three were balanced when installed 10 months ago, the new one was balanced when installed. Why would doing it again help? I know it can help, but kind of wonder why if they were all done less than a year ago?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Can you elaborate? The three were balanced when installed 10 months ago, the new one was balanced when installed. Why would doing it again help? I know it can help, but kind of wonder why if they were all done less than a year ago?
They were balanced when they were brand new with no mileage on them. Now, you have 3 tires that have some wear on them, and one new tire with no wear. The balance of the other 3 tires is likely to still be close to spec, however, the introduction of 1 new tire into the mix will magnify the slightest imbalance in the other 3 slightly used tires. I see plenty of places around here(which is expensive) that offer 4-wheel balance specials for $20, so it's worth exploring, IMHO.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
I had a similar issue and what worked was to have all tires re-balanced, as previously recommended, but also having the new tire rotated to the rear. Initially, it will feel a bit odd. When my front tire went, the set had 3k miles on them. I also had them refilled with nitrogen at the time, though I don't think that made much difference, but it does tend to keep the pressure more constant.

ETA: My experience was with an AWD Volvo -- thought I mentioned that above, but I see that I didn't.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-06-2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
What is it about the "handling" that you find objectionable? Wobble? Shimmy? Pull to right or left? Uneven braking? Wandering steering?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 AM

No objections now. I took the earlier advice and re-checked all 4 tire pressures. Results were:

FL - 25 FR - 40 (new tire at max sidewall pressure)
RL - 27 RR - 30

Door label says should be 36 psi.

We took it to a gas station and filled them all to 36, and let pressure out on the new on until it was 36. Result was: no more handling issue, and a remi9nder to check tire pressure more often.

May ask for re-balancing at next scheduled rotation, which is coming up soon.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
Is this a FWD or RWD van? If it's RWD, I'd put the new tire on the back, on the side that wears more if there is a differnce (some cars do, some don't). I'd keep it in that position to try to wear it down to match the rest of your tires. The mismatch of the tires on back will probably mess less with your handling.

If FWD it's harder, typically the front tires wear more, but then you are stuck with the handling issue.

You might want to consider buying an additional wheel from a junkyard, and mount one more new tire, run for example with the 2 new ones on back and 2 of your 3 used ones on front, rotate through the 3 remaining used tires.

If you live in an area with significant rain, you are better off with the deeper tread on the back.

Awhile back I had the same situation with the Scirocco - 3 good but used tires already on wheels at a price I didn't want to turn down, one additional wheel with a "dead" tire. I got 2 new and put them on front of the Scirocco. (we don't have significant rain here in summer, you can't legally run slicks but for all practial purposes you could run them here in summer and if you cool it a bit when it sprinkles, you would be fine...) I rotated the 3 used tires onto the back axle.

So, I violated these 3 thumb rules:

I put the deeper tread on the front axle

I ran tires of unknown provenance and well over 6 years old

I reversed direction of rotation of radial tires

And, you know what? I didn't have any problem whatsoever with any of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive