U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:36 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,068,026 times

Advertisements

My car is a 95 Chevy, it has 85,000 miles, always been maintained and had no radiator problems.
I took it in to have the battery tray replaced. They told me I needed a new battery also even though it started right up each time it was started. I let them replace it because winter is coming even though I thought it was strange that I had never had a problem with the car starting.

When I started my car to leave, it started right up. I drove about 1 FOOT and the car started making this loud noise and shaking. I jumped out, ran inside to get somebody. When we got back out all of my antifreeze was gushing out of the car and they said I needed a new radiator.
They said it just choose that moment to break and they didn't do anything to cause it.
Does that sound believable to you?
It doesn't to me, please give me your opinion.
Do you have noise and shaking before a radiator breaks or does it sound like a tool or something was left inside?
The manager said they did nothing to my car but because he is a fair person he will replace the radiator and not charge me for the labor only their cost of the new radiator which will come to $160.00.
I think they did it and should fix it for free but I want to be fair too.
Please tell me your opinion.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:11 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,776,230 times
Oh NOOOOO!

What model Chevy?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 AM

Cavalier

Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,869,287 times
Get ready to have people say take it back and make them fix it for free or you'll sue and others will say it was just a coincidence. Be prepared for both.

Bottom line is, without having seen it happen no one really knows the right answer.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 AM

Are you sure it's a radiator after shaking?

It sounds more like a possible bad head gasket or water pump.

I don't know everything.

Did you happen to look at the temperature gauge or idiot light for that on the dashboard when it was shaking?

Just too sudden after just one minute but then again anything is possible.

I was almost going to say a bad timing belt and it screwed the engine, again hard to ascertain if something like that would make antifreeze leak unless the engine block got cracked by this.

The question is how good has this mechanic been to you or is it the first visit to them?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Are you sure it's a radiator after shaking?

It sounds more like a possible bad head gasket or water pump.

I don't know everything.

Did you happen to look at the temperature gauge or idiot light for that on the dashboard when it was shaking?

Just too sudden after just one minute but then again anything is possible.

I was almost going to say a bad timing belt and it screwed the engine, again hard to ascertain if something like that would make antifreeze leak unless the engine block got cracked by this.

The question is how good has this mechanic been to you or is it the first visit to them?
I was in the state of shock and didn't look at anything, I was scared to death and jumped out of the car. I have an old car so mechanics love me and want to keep me around for future business, lol, but it was definately the radiator. It is still there while I am trying to decide if I should have it towed or let them fix it.
My son says it is the radiator but thinks they left a tool in there that fell down and jammed when I moved it because at first the manager said to tow it to someone else if I think they did it but after I came back from calling my son and they had been left alone with my car? That is when the manager came up with his offer. I went there once before last year.
This is very terrible for me because I have not got a lot of money and really need my car.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:10 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,270,947 times
When you said it made a loud noise and shook, the first thing I thought of was them leaving a tool in there or not securing something correctly which got caught in the fan or in the belt and caused your radiator damage.

It's really too bad you didn't stay right there, looked underneath for anything that may have fallen to the ground, and looked under the hood to see if there was something which could have caused the damage.

A radiator blow out normally won't make any mechanical noises ......perhaps a hissing sound.

It seems pretty fishy and almost too much of a coincidence to me, but I wasn't there either.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I was in the state of shock and didn't look at anything, I was scared to death and jumped out of the car. I have an old car so mechanics love me and want to keep me around for future business, lol, but it was definately the radiator. It is still there while I am trying to decide if I should have it towed or let them fix it.
My son says it is the radiator but thinks they left a tool in there that fell down and jammed when I moved it because at first the manager said to tow it to someone else if I think they did it but after I came back from calling my son and they had been left alone with my car? That is when the manager came up with his offer. I went there once before last year.
This is very terrible for me because I have not got a lot of money and really need my car.
This whole ordeal sounds shady to me after what you have said "they had been left alone with my car" so they may have hidden that tool and made that offer which I think is "just okay" as they'll be making $$$ on that too as they get their parts for less $$ than us normal consumers.

That noise may have been from a tool or whatnot jamming against the electric radiator fan(s) - just a guess.

If that radiator is the original it might be a possible blessing in disguise though you're not in the money and I do understand.

I don't know very many people that are in great financial shape right now I would say more but this is the wrong place to say it.

http://www.go-part.com/9502-chevrole...r-p-24828.html

Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
When you said it made a loud noise and shook, the first thing I thought of was them leaving a tool in there or not securing something correctly which got caught in the fan or in the belt and caused your radiator damage.

It's really too bad you didn't stay right there, looked underneath for anything that may have fallen to the ground, and looked under the hood to see if there was something which could have caused the damage.

A radiator blow out normally won't make any mechanical noises ......perhaps a hissing sound.

It seems pretty fishy and almost too much of a coincidence to me, but I wasn't there either.
That's a front wheel drive car so the belt theory to me is sought of negated.

The electric fan(s) theory is plausible but unfortunately there's not enough proof because she left the mechanic alone with the car and anything could've happened.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
That's a front wheel drive car so the belt theory to me is sought of negated.

The electric fan(s) theory is plausible but unfortunately there's not enough proof because she left the mechanic alone with the car and anything could've happened.
Thank you for all the help, I had it fixed there and my son took the radiator. It has a circle indented in it. A very large circle, like a fan or something. I don't know if that had anything to do with the problem but he will take it to another mechanic for an opinion.
What could the circle be??? Its about a foot all around. It is like an indented perfect circle. What a mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive