U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:29 PM

4,748 posts, read 7,495,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doves123 View Post
My BMW has been in the shop for 5 months with very little work on it. It broke down half a month after buying it and we didnít get a rental car either. Can we do something or is it okay they do that?
Is the BMW new, and is it at that dealership's shop ? The Volvo dealer I worked at only provided free loaners to owners who bought a new Volvo at his dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 07:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,392 posts, read 50,582,032 times
My Ford dealer has always provided us with a rental car from Enterprise down the street, for warranty work. Yesterday we had my wife's in for a warranty repair and they gave us a brand new 2018 Explorer loaner. It's up to the dealer, however loyalty makes a big difference, and they know we have bought 3 vehicles from them since 2007. The actual language in the Ford warranty excludes the cost of a rental car.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,395,755 times
Depends on the dealer, depends on the brand, depends on the attitude of the service rep, depends on the attitude of the customer.... ultimately, it 'depends'.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:47 AM

9,307 posts, read 11,142,948 times
Premium brands arrange a loaner every time in my experience. I have had dealers take brand new cars off their lot and hand me the keys when they were short.

Honda once told me they would only provide a loaner if the repair was expected to last all day, if it was a 2 hour job then you are on your own or you can wait.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:14 AM

54,145 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Infiniti and BMW dealers both provide loaners. Maybe down market dealers aren't able to offer this. I guess this is where the difference comes in when it comes to dealer service quality.
A little tale about Infiniti: In 2001 I bought a 1993 Infiniti G20 with IIRC 99K on it from a private owner. The idle was a bit off and while I was fairly familiar with the Bosch F.I. of the time I had no idea what the G20 had. I called the local dealer and made a service appointment. When I dropped off my car I was given a well-equipped new G20 to get home in. I went back the next day, my car no where in sight when I arrived, by the time I parked the loaner my car had magically appeared in front of the store and had been washed. When I went in to settle the bill the service advisor said they'd only had to set the 'base idle' and there was no charge. So, a dealer who'd never seen me before gave me a loaner, washed my car, and fixed my issue for a grand total of $00.00! I currently have a 'new' to me 2001 G20 that's as close to new as any 18 year old car I'm likely to find, all because of that first experience with an Infiniti dealer.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 AM

6,107 posts, read 3,266,484 times
My best experience was with an Acura dealer who took it to a concierge level. They picked up my car at my workplace and left me with a loaner. They even did that for a simple $29 oil change. And I was just in the entry level RSX. But back then they really did look at that as an entry level experience to woo the younger generation on Acura.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,392 posts, read 50,582,032 times
Update: Sometimes a loaner is not all that great. Drove my 2018 Explorer loaner (with only 1,000 miles on it) to work, to return and collect my wife's car this afternoon. Just a block from the office the check engine light came on, and the engine is doing a rhythmic loping, like on an old school muscle car with a high performance cam. I would guess vacuum leak, but am waiting for the dealership to call me back. It's about 30 miles away but takes over an hour so I hate to drive that far with the light on.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
My Acura dealer in the MD suburbs of the DC area always gave me a loaner even for just a few hours. I'd say I'll leave the car but I'll need a loner because but I have things I need to get done. They were like, "OK." I'd get the loaner, do my errands, and come back and get my car later that day.

It was never an issue.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:32 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,456,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My Acura dealer in the MD suburbs of the DC area always gave me a loaner even for just a few hours. I'd say I'll leave the car but I'll need a loner because but I have things I need to get done. They were like, "OK." I'd get the loaner, do my errands, and come back and get my car later that day.

It was never an issue.
Same here for me. My Acura dealer in Ohio always offers a loaner, even when getting an oil change. Sometimes i take it and if i dont have to work then ill hang out.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:54 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,027,987 times
Call the manufacturer. My wife's car had the dash go out when it was still fairly new. That can be a pain as there are extra steps to replacing a dash. It has to be sent to a certified shop to have the odometer set. Anyway, the dealer didn't have a loaner.

I called the manufactures number in the warranty book and talked to a rep. Granted, I did NOT catch what she was saying the first time. LOL

"What are you looking for us to do"? The second time she said this I said "I would like to be provided a loaner". She then explained they could not offer that BUT if a customer asks they can get them a rental and pay for it.

Call and directly ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive