U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,015,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Probably sold overseas or in Mexico.
My guess is that it will turn up eventually if it hasn't been hacked for parts. Then again I do not know any statistics for stolen vehicles.

This type of behavior on CList really scares me... not because I fear getting scammed but rather because I fear that some sort of regulation will eventually come into play. The whole beauty of CList is that it's marketplace anarchy. I don't want that to change one bit!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,293,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
My guess is that it will turn up eventually if it hasn't been hacked for parts. Then again I do not know any statistics for stolen vehicles.

This type of behavior on CList really scares me... not because I fear getting scammed but rather because I fear that some sort of regulation will eventually come into play. The whole beauty of CList is that it's marketplace anarchy. I don't want that to change one bit!
You're right, parts is a definite possibility too.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:31 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,419,547 times
The much more prevalent scam is the scam where they mail her a check and she has to issue her own check for the freight to the freight company so they will come and get it. The freight money is gone (to the bad guys) and two weeks later she gets their bad check back from her bank.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:30 AM

7,001 posts, read 18,169,984 times
Can everyone guess the moral of this story?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 AM

42,223 posts, read 49,783,147 times
My friend's wife bought a couch on Craigslist two months ago. She drove (with her son and her son's friend) to the guy's house to pick it up. The guy proceeded to lock the door behind them and try to get her to go upstairs while telling the boys to start picking up the cushions (then he showed them his gun). The boys (thank god) refused to leave their mother, so they pushed past him and all ran out the front door. He then proceeded to call their house and leave creepy messages about how she was going to 'pay' for the next day until her husband called him and told him he was going to call the police.

All this for a cheap couch for their lake house...NOT WORTH IT. Go to Weir's or something and pay a few hundred bucks for a new one. God knows what kind of creepy sh*t people do on their couches...and then you want to sit on it?!!!

That was really scary. She posted a couple of the phone messages the guy left...creepy, creepy sh*t.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 AM

9,326 posts, read 11,253,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Can everyone guess the moral of this story?
Yes :

Cash only

Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,906,251 times
Neighbor........his son ( in his 20's) listed a 1 year old expensive,high powered snow mobile for sale.

Got a call from Idaho. The guy asked for more pictures to be posted . The guy then said he needed a week to think it over. ( since he got no other takers, he waited)

He thought this had to be legit cuz the guy needed a week to line up money.

Guy said he was sending a cashiers check with $500 added .
Cashiers check was to be cashed immediately and the $500 sent immediately ( cashiers check again )to a friend in Michigan who would pick it up and bring to Idaho.

This neighbor's mom works at a bank ( 25 years) and examined it. She said it was legit, but she would bring it to work and have others verify.

Yup.......bogus.

She said if she was at the window that day she would have deposited in his account and sold him a legit $500 cashiers check to be mailed.

They reported it to the sheriff and no such address could be found in Idaho that matched the return address on the letter with the bogus cashiers check.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Neighbor........his son ( in his 20's) listed a 1 year old expensive,high powered snow mobile for sale.

Got a call from Idaho. The guy asked for more pictures to be posted . The guy then said he needed a week to think it over. ( since he got no other takers, he waited)

He thought this had to be legit cuz the giy needed a week to line up money.

Guy said he was sending a cashiers check with $500 added .
Cashiers check was to be cashed immediately and the $500 sent immediately ( cashiers check again )to a friend in Michigan who would pick it up and bring to Idaho.

This neighbor's mom works at a bank ( 25 years) and examined it. She said it was legit, but she would bring it to work and have others verify.

Yup.......bogus.

She said if she was at the window that day she would have deposited in his account and sold him a legit $500 cashiers check to be mailed.

They reported it to the sheriff and no such address could be found in Idaho that matched the return address on the letter with the bogus cashiers check.
This is the BIGGEST most popular CL scam. Sending more than the value and asking for the difference back, usually by Western Union.

This scam is so common its equal to the sex ads ( which were recently censered ) .

Remember : Cash Only. In Person Transaction Only.

No other way.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:59 AM

12,555 posts, read 18,936,550 times
This brings up a question. What about cashier's checks, or bank checks. I was so furious with BOA for making me wait over a week to access funds after I sold a car and received a bank check. It all worked out, but now it seems even those are not the same as cash. Are all of these scams taking us backwards instead of forwards? It seems like it takes longer to get access to funds than it used to.

Edit to add: I didn't see those posts just above this one until now.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
This brings up a question. What about cashier's checks, or bank checks. I was so furious with BOA for making me wait over a week to access funds after I sold a car and received a bank check. It all worked out, but now it seems even those are not the same as cash. Are all of these scams taking us backwards instead of forwards? It seems like it takes longer to get access to funds than it used to.

Edit to add: I didn't see those posts just above this one until now.
Well some people think if a check clears ( or money order ) that everything is kosher ( The bank cashed it so it has to be good right ? , wrong ! ) .

It's best to wait two weeks after clearing ( because sometimes it takes that long to find out its a bad check /MO .

But you will NOT find me accepting any MO's from anyone on the internet and cashing it at my bank. Not going to happen....

And the bank will come after you for the funds it lost....

And you are out any over payments you sent ...

If scammers run out of this idea , next week they will have a NEW one to remove you from your money.

If I sell anything on CL I see the person face to face and he better have cash ...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or