U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:05 PM

9,325 posts, read 11,246,447 times

Advertisements

From OP's Article : " Pitts has no way to reach him. All of the phone numbers she had for him have now been disconnected. She's not even sure who is really is. He claimed to be Jonathan Harris Battle from Orland Park, Illinois. But the address he gave was a fake. And, it turns out, the driver's license of the woman who picked up the truck was fake, too. " ( end )

The buyer could have been from Nigeria or in any country. The Battle Park Illinois address ( if requesting Western Union for example ) you could say you lived anywhere in the world because WU locations are everywhere and any scammer can pick up the money at any location.

Nothing is usually true. Their name, their address , their location , all faked. Thats why its impossible to track them down.

I bet the lady in the article got very excited at a buyer. Once some people get a possible buyer , logic goes out the window :

Why is this person from another state wanting to buy my car ? ( Red Flag to me anyway )

If I had a $ 30,000 car for sale, you better bring a suitcase full of cash Thank you , lol !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 01:12 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,067,231 times
I have never had any problems selling cars on craigslist. I have sold over 15 cars in the last 5.5 years. Never one problem!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 PM

9,325 posts, read 11,246,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I have never had any problems selling cars on craigslist. I have sold over 15 cars in the last 5.5 years. Never one problem!
Have you ever received a long detailed message in response to your ad with spelling errors and incorrect sentence structure ?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:27 PM

7,475 posts, read 19,569,061 times
Life is tough and you can get taken anywhere. A story in the local paper a few months ago.... A lady took her car into the dealer for service, and while there she saw a 2010 model that was a low mileage repossession. She liked the car, they offered her a great price on it, so she traded in her old car and drove away a happy customer.
A month later she gets a call from the bank telling her the payment on her old car was overdue. She explained to them that she had traded that car in to the local Kia dealership. She called the dealer to see what had happened, and discovered the dealership went belly up and was closed. They already sold her old car, but never paid the bank off for it, so she is now stuck paying for a new car, and the old car, which someone else is driving. She can't get the old car back because they bought it fair and square and are making their payments on it. She is flat screwed unless they can find the owner of the dealership, but he is long gone. He locked the store up one night and never came back. All the employees showed up for work the next day to find a locked store. It took the mechanics months to even get their tools back.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,023,088 times
I definitely think the financial institution the car was financed with dropped the ball on this one. She called twice to verify and both times they said she was good to go. Yes, she should have waited a few more days to be sure, but that's a huge error on the bank's part.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:38 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,340,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Have you ever received a long detailed message in response to your ad with spelling errors and incorrect sentence structure ?
Yes, and they always end the letter with "god bless you". Most of the letters ask questions that were obviously already addressed in the ad. If you actually answer they get very urgent in closing the deal quickly. Always some form of a different person or shipper to take custody.

I have been selling off some guitars, one buyer wanted to be assured I would not cash the check until he received it from UPS. I told him not only would I not assure that, but I would not ship until payment had cleared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or