U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times

Advertisements

I am beginning to think that it's a regional issue, or the price of the car. Then again, I tend to ask when negotiating for the car how they would prefer payment, so that could be it as well. Generally, I get a decent price with little hassle, so I don't go out of my way to force payment methods that suit me, since it doesn't cost me anything to get a certified personal check or cashier's check at my bank.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,896,672 times
One thing I noticed, they will try their darndest to get you to pay for part of their price and finance some with dealer offered financing.

Even offer you a slightly better deal.

Even point out that you should sign up for the financing and pay it off within 30 days if you like.

I said------" no thanks" to everyone of their suggestions.

Didn't want any lien on the title at all !

Old 09-07-2010, 12:56 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,608,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I am beginning to think that it's a regional issue, or the price of the car. Then again, I tend to ask when negotiating for the car how they would prefer payment, so that could be it as well. Generally, I get a decent price with little hassle, so I don't go out of my way to force payment methods that suit me, since it doesn't cost me anything to get a certified personal check or cashier's check at my bank.
bmwguydc - I don't think it is the price. I paid for the two Hondas with one check. They weren't Fits. I didn't even ask. I had been working with the dealer for a couple of weeks on the deal. My guess is that if I had been a drop-in, had an out of town address, picked a car, and tried to pay with a check, they might have refused.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,320,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Any dealer we have ever dealt with has accepted a personal check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Best to call the specific dealership in question, since YMMV
This, and this.

There is no reason that a dealer won't take a personal check. Sometimes, they will want to run your credit to make sure that you're not a "criminal", or hold onto the car until the check goes through. Either way, you shouldn't have any issues.

For what its worth, cashier's checks can be faked just as easily as standard checks - and dealers are well aware of this.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:04 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
$200? The extras they tend to try to push on me range from $2-$6k.
AFTER you've picked out your car and agreed to a price? And you feel bound to pay for them?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:05 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times
I would just call and see for sure, better safe than sorry. One other factor is to see if they have any incentives that are finance based. Sometimes you get additional cash back if you finance with their finance company. As long as there is no early payment penalty, better to let them finance it and then just pay it off. My parents were able to get an additional $1k off by financing with GMAC on their last purchase. When the first bill came in they just wrote a check for the payoff and were done.

I've never personally bought with cash, but have used checks in business. In that case it was always in certified funds.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 PM

232 posts, read 495,949 times
I didn't pay for the whole car this way, but I made a $7,500 down payment and I did it with my ATM card. Called my bank the day before and told them I wanted it to clear and moved some money to checking. Finance guy at the dealership was telling me before he tried that no way would it go through, but it worked just fine. Not sure what the limits are for using the ATM card with prior warning to your bank.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,958 times
so i put 925 down on a cash car, do i have to pay the total or can i make monthly payments with my bank????

Old 09-06-2015, 08:13 AM

6,680 posts, read 11,893,412 times
I think buying a car in the USA, is one of the most miserable business experiences we go thru, It is the dealers themselves that make it a trashy unprofessional experience. At least many of them. Even when you want to pay cash for a car. These Dealers make you feel the deal, is only going to be based on financing.

My brother and his wife just went thru this a few months ago, with a Toyota Dealer in Massachusetts. They were paying cash for a Corolla, at the price they saw on the internet. When they got there to buy the car. The dealer would not accept their check for the car at the price listed. They were told that was the price if it was financed thru Toyota, not a cash price. Which they found meant they were paying a higher price, than the financed price before interest charges. They had words with the dealer, that they thought this was a ripoff, and would make sure the word got out. They ended up going to another Toyota Dealer, and decided against getting a new Corolla. They purchased a used Corolla cash, and seem happy with it.

I have always felt there should be some type of regulation, on how vehicles are sold in this country. I'm not sure there is or isn't. All I know is I hate the experience. I think next time I have to buy one, I'm going to try CarMax and see if it is any better.

I think its a very sad case when you can't pay cash, for a new vehicle and be treated properly.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:17 AM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
I am yet to see a dealer that will NOT run some sort of check on you before selling you a car. My good guess is - they know if you were "check worthy" so to speak.
Question do I have though. Why is this thread called "paying cash" while payment is made in check or cashier check? Or certified check? Why it is not called "paying in full"? Ever since "cash" became a check or even a cashier check?

cash1
kaSH/
noun
noun: cash
money in coins or notes, as distinct from checks, money orders, or credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or