U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 AM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times

Advertisements

Ad hoc, I met dealers refusing to actually take cash. As in - coins or notes. Small dealerships though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 09:38 AM

16,476 posts, read 17,501,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am yet to see a dealer that will NOT run some sort of check on you before selling you a car. My good guess is - they know if you were "check worthy" so to speak.
Question do I have though. Why is this thread called "paying cash" while payment is made in check or cashier check? Or certified check? Why it is not called "paying in full"? Ever since "cash" became a check or even a cashier check?

cash1
kaSH/
noun
noun: cash
money in coins or notes, as distinct from checks, money orders, or credit.

They can run a check on the payment method to see if funds are available or if it's a real payment. They can't run my credit because they are not extending credit. And running my credit won't mean I'm not giving them a bunk check today. They have to file a Form 8300 to the IRS if the the sale is over 10,000 dollars. Otherwise the most they could ask to do is hold the vehicle until the payment processes. If they do not accept personal checks well I'm sure the next dealer down the street will. And if they have a car you want another dealer will do a search find it at that dealer and call to transfer it.

If the deal was better if I went through their financing and it saved me a reasonable amount of money I would have no issue letting them do their monkey bar running around if it truly got me a lower price. As long as the total end price on the sales contract is lower than what I negotiated out the door that's fine. I would simply call the financial institution and send them a check that settles the account before I got the first payment. Or get the I go, pay the car off through online banking. Thank you for the savings.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or