U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,340,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is still a relevant question. If a driver is incapacitated in an accident, what avenues are available to protect his assets?

Insurance companies do not assign fault on the basis of a police report. They do their own investigations. However, if no tickets are issued, they usually come out 50/50, which means each driver's insurance company agrees to pay for their own damage, and if all you have is liability, without collision coverage, you get nothing.

When the police go to an accident scene, there is no X minutes to clear the wreckage. The police take whatever time is needed to investigate the accident (especially if there is personal injury) and then take any necessary steps to clear the roadway of the wreckage.
In case of incapacitation the vehicle is removed by authorities, generally the tow company has a secured yard much as in this case. As the case here by the OP he did not have proper ID and was not allowed access to the vehicle. This was a good thing even thou it may have frustrated him. Why on earth did he think not to carry ID no one will know.

Insurance companies do in fact base their claims on police reports, what else is available? People lie, insurance companies know this and use police reports since they contain all relevant info, weather, speed, witnesses, etc.

On accident scenes, police only lock down the highway in case of death as they need coroner reports, too often death is declared at the hospital instead of at scene if there is no evidence of wrong doing. Injuries are treated usually at hospitals not on scene. The police are very much encouraged to get highways back to normal and up to speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM

13 posts, read 76,174 times
So today I went to the towing impound lot.. oops, blood-suckers'.. and as I feared the car was totalled. Let me just add that this place is simply the most disgusting of the businesses I've ever seen. They make tons of money with truckloads of cars going back and forth all the time, and the... customers? victims? poor people who are still suffering loss and pain from a recent accident are additionally charged $100s a day for taking their car there and keep it outside! and if you come after 5 pm you have to pay $40+ only for look at your car that they STOLE from you! people packed like sheeps is this miserable office of about 6x6, with old wood panels and no A/C, with the door that hits you anytime somebody comes in! I'm sure that in all Third World countries they can enjoy better offices than this today! I have counted up to 14 people in this hole, and we have to take out our hardworked money and give it to these kind of grave-robbers in CASH! I'm surely missing something in this picture, and I hope some of you can confirm that, because I cannot accept this level of legal illegality and profiteering over people's misfortune.

Learning from this lesson, from now on I always keep a paper in the glove compartment AND in my wallet that reads: If I lose consciousness in a car accident, please bring my car to..(designated car repair/body shop). NEVER bring my car, for ANY reason, to...(towing/impound lot- I know what to put here!)

Old 09-09-2010, 06:53 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,129,899 times
I'm afraid the note in your wallet and glove box will be of no use.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:14 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,414,398 times
So, what happened with your insurance company? Can I read between the lines here that there was no insurance? You do know that towing and recovery is separate from liability. I suppose it is possible to have a policy where you are located that doesn't cover these things, but just because an accident is your fault does n ot mean you don't have coverage. And, since I told you to call your company hours after you posted and you haven't mentioned insurance since, I am assuming you don't have any. When you get around to buying some insurance, tell your agent: "if I get in a wreck I want the towing and storage to be covered." He will add about $2 to your premium if it wasn't there already.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 AM

12,554 posts, read 18,931,506 times
Exactly. Insurance pays for that. Call your insurance company.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
As someone else said, the note will not do any good. You could spray paint it on the outside of the car all over it and it still will not matter. The cities have contracts w/ certain tow companies to tow vehicles they impound or clear from the scene of an accident. From there it is 99% of the time towed to the city/county impound lot or the tow companies lot. They are ALL crooks.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,712 times
What if the care is totaled? Is it better to leave it at the impound or release it to the insurance company's body shop? I was told that if you release the car to the insurance's body shop you must accept their value of the car vs. if you leave it at the impound you have a slight advantage of bargaining. Is this true????

Old 11-28-2011, 07:58 AM

150 posts, read 264,618 times
OP, if you can operate a better wrecker service do it. Go buy a $70k tow truck and rent a lot, get insurance, pay for fuel. Now that you've got all that be ready to drop what you are doing and go tow a car on a moments notice in the middle of the road (where you will almost get run over a lot) where the police dept wants the road opend back up asap. Now you can hope the car as full coverage so you get paid, other wise you just did all that for free.

And no, most tow services won't just accept a title and let you walk away.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 AM

150 posts, read 264,618 times
Geen, yes the car is your leveragee. Ins co hate paying storage

Old 09-06-2013, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,454 times
Heres my situatipn..my daughter had a wreck where the car rolled over and obvious totalled. No insurance. Her fault. Towing yardis racking up storage fees pluz tow bill. She doesnt want car. Salvage yards wont give her enough to pay bill. What happens if she just leaves the car at tow yard and walks away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive