U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-07-2010, 10:45 PM

8 posts, read 23,597 times
Default car at towing company, what to do?

[SIZE=3]Hi,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am in a bad situation with my car. I had an accident last week and my car is still parked at a towing company. I could only go there today because of the long weekend (I was in the hospital), and they charge me 500$ if I want my car before 3 PM of tomorrow. Apart from that, they didnít allow me to see my car because I didnít carry any ID with me Ėmy driver licence is at my apt. office in exchange of a copy of my apt. keys, as my original keys are still in my car. I donít have idea how bad my car is, if I have to take it to the junkyard or if is still repairable, because I was taken away by the ambulance after the accident. All I know for sure is that the driver door is smashed and need to be replaced, the windshiled also, probably the car will be out of alignment, plus the driver door frame need to be straightened, and something more I guess.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As for the accident, the police said they cannot determine whoís at fault, so I guess the insurance companies will have probably to agree on a 50-50 payment. The value of my car is about $2,700-3,000 from the Blue Book. Iím not very good in determining if my car is totaled or can be repaired, so if I see my car and I donít know exactly what to do, what do you suggest me to do? I donít know any good mechanic or body shop either (I just came in Vegas). Is there a way to avoid to pay so much money? If my car is totaled and I decide to leave it at the towing to do what they want, do they usually charge for that? I didnít ask because I was a bit angry thereÖ.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am very confused, I donít know how much money it will cost me all of this. Thanks to all car expert who can help me, pleaseÖ.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-08-2010, 06:07 AM

8,205 posts, read 9,956,948 times
This is the insurance company's problem. Look at your policy and call your agent.

Unread 09-08-2010, 07:24 AM

3,190 posts, read 1,939,953 times
Call the towing company and ask them if they think the car is repairable. If it's totaled, then they'll normally accept you signing it over to them in lieu of the charges.

And yes.....consult your insurance company!

Unread 09-08-2010, 07:33 AM

968 posts, read 1,006,734 times
why does the towing company have your car? didnt your insurance have it towed to a repairshop?

Unread 09-08-2010, 07:43 AM

14,876 posts, read 21,585,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
why does the towing company have your car? didnt your insurance have it towed to a repairshop?
Most cities have contracts w/ towing companies to have a wreck cleared within x number of minutes and the police are the ones who call for wreckers. They tow the cars to their city/county pound. The insurance company is not involved in who tows a car from the scene of an accident and to where it goes. As a matter of fact, the insurance company can not even tell you where to take it. They can give you a list of "preferred" service or body shops but they can not just take it anywhere. The owner of the vehicle is the one who decides what body shop they want their car towed to. Your insurance company does not even know you were in an accident until you call them. Most people do not call their insurance company from the scene of an accident.

In the OP's case it sounds as though he was injured enough to need immediate medical attention so he would have been in no shape to call his insurance company let alone to try and get the car towed from the scene to the body shop he would prefer it to go to.

Last edited by momof2dfw; 09-08-2010 at 08:45 AM..

Unread 09-08-2010, 08:44 AM

8 posts, read 23,597 times
thanks soo much for the help, good people! I will keep you updated with what will happen, have a great day!

Unread 09-08-2010, 09:11 AM

37,606 posts, read 31,193,090 times
It is still a relevant question. If a driver is incapacitated in an accident, what avenues are available to protect his assets?

Insurance companies do not assign fault on the basis of a police report. They do their own investigations. However, if no tickets are issued, they usually come out 50/50, which means each driver's insurance company agrees to pay for their own damage, and if all you have is liability, without collision coverage, you get nothing.

When the police go to an accident scene, there is no X minutes to clear the wreckage. The police take whatever time is needed to investigate the accident (especially if there is personal injury) and then take any necessary steps to clear the roadway of the wreckage.

Unread 09-08-2010, 09:14 AM

1,955 posts, read 4,453,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrl04 View Post
Hi,
I am in a bad situation with my car. I had an accident last week and my car is still parked at a towing company. I could only go there today because of the long weekend (I was in the hospital), and they charge me 500$ if I want my car before 3 PM of tomorrow. Apart from that, they didn’t allow me to see my car because I didn’t carry any ID with me –my driver licence is at my apt. office in exchange of a copy of my apt. keys, as my original keys are still in my car.
Talk to your apt. manager so that you can exchange something else for a the spare key ... I don't blame the impound yard for NOT letting you in; afterall, without any ID, how are they to know who you really are? They can't just let anyone in because they say that such-and-such car is mine's; you have to prove you're the owner or have legal claim to the vehicle.

Quote:
As for the accident, the police said they cannot determine who’s at fault, so I guess the insurance companies will have probably to agree on a 50-50 payment.
They'll figure something out. But you do need to be in contact with them and tell them your side of the story. Provide the police department's contact and report number to your insurance company too.

Quote:
All I know for sure is that the driver door is smashed and need to be replaced, the windshiled also, probably the car will be out of alignment, plus the driver door frame need to be straightened, and something more I guess.
The value of my car is about $2,700-3,000 from the Blue Book. I’m not very good in determining if my car is totaled or can be repaired ...
In other words, a T-bone accident with A-pillar and suspension damage. It's totaled.

Unread 09-08-2010, 09:14 AM

968 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Most cities have contracts w/ towing companies to have a wreck cleared within x number of minutes and the police are the ones who call for wreckers. They tow the cars to their city/county pound. The insurance company is not involved in who tows a car from the scene of an accident and to where it goes. As a matter of fact, the insurance company can not even tell you where to take it. They can give you a list of "preferred" service or body shops but they can not just take it anywhere. The owner of the vehicle is the one who decides what body shop they want their car towed to. Your insurance company does not even know you were in an accident until you call them. Most people do not call their insurance company from the scene of an accident.

In the OP's case it sounds as though he was injured enough to need immediate medical attention so he would have been in no shape to call his insurance company let alone to try and get the car towed from the scene to the body shop he would prefer it to go to.
shows how many accidents i've been in

i've been in one accident and my car was towed to the dealership. no fee's for overnight storage on their lawn.

OP, the best part is you're alive and well, i'm betting your insurance company will help you work this out. hopefully you have a reputable one.

Unread 09-08-2010, 10:25 AM

14,876 posts, read 21,585,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is still a relevant question. If a driver is incapacitated in an accident, what avenues are available to protect his assets?

When the police go to an accident scene, there is no X minutes to clear the wreckage. The police take whatever time is needed to investigate the accident (especially if there is personal injury) and then take any necessary steps to clear the roadway of the wreckage.

There is no guarantee that the owners possessions will be safe at all. As a matter of fact the City of Dallas impound lot is probably the least safe place for a vehicle to be. There have been numerous reports of property stolen out of and off of vehicles that have been towed there. Some accident victims see their car towed away and then when it is claimed from the impound lot it might be missing tires and wheels, stereo equipment, etc. Some say it is an "inside" job and others say it can also be tow truck drivers (one was seen going thru the wallet of a vehicle he had just towed in from an accident) and people being able to come over, thru and under the fence as the place is so large and so many vehicles get towed to it daily.

Personally, if I am even remotely aware of what it going on I'm going to do everything in my power to keep my vehicles from being towed to ANY city/county owned or tow companies lots. The one accident I was in that left my car undrivable to keep it from getting towed my husband came up to the scene and with the help of the fire dept was able to remove the wheel well from the tire so that he could drive it the short distance home instead of it being towed.

Most cities have ordinances in place that the tow truck companies they have agreements w/ have a response time that they must adhere to to show up at the scene of an accident so as to clear it promptly. This was done for several reasons. One is to get the roads cleared quickly to eleviate congestion and get traffic moving again. The other was to get rid of tow truck drivers being wreck chasers.

While the police will take their time investigating the scene of an accident if it involved a fatality or serious injury they will do so by marking the location of all vehicles involved and the vehicles will be towed out of the way rather quickly. Then there are more lanes open for traffic to flow. The police may even come back at a later time that has less congestion to conduct their investigation. But they WILL get the wreckage cleared rather promptly and fast. Most of the time the investigation is done AFTER the wreck has been cleared. Passed by one the other day on Central Expwy and not a wrecked car in sight but the Dallas PD was out there doing an investigation and the orange spray paint was clearly marked for the location of the vehicles involved.

Even in the one accident I was involved in that I mentioned above the same happened. Only because the car that was hit (I was stopped at a red light and a young girl turned left in front of another car and that car hit me) was a NARC car and had guns and ammo in the trunk of it. The wreckers were already loading up those two vehicles when they had to stop because of that. If that one particular car had not been involved then the cars would have been loaded up and taken away before any investigation got underway. Heck, they did not even have any of the lovely bright orange spray paint on the road before they started loading vehicles (except for mine as I kept telling them it was NOT getting towed and I WOULD drive it away). They quickly put the other two cars back in place and marked the roadway and then loaded them back up all in a matter of minutes. And the lady in that car was injured and transported by ambulance. Not only was she injured but she happened to be pregnant .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
shows how many accidents i've been in

i've been in one accident and my car was towed to the dealership. no fee's for overnight storage on their lawn.

OP, the best part is you're alive and well, i'm betting your insurance company will help you work this out. hopefully you have a reputable one.
I've only been in one but I worked for an insurance agent and a car dealership in the body shop. Got PLENTY of stories on the things that have happened to cars when they get towed to the impound lots. Not good ones either.

You really do NOT want your vehicle towed to any city/county owned impound lot or a tow operaters lot. If you can and this is tricky you do want to be able to drive it away or get it towed to the place YOU want it taken to. Not easy to do as most cities have contracts w/ tow companies and their impound lots to have all vehicles taken there instead. Imho, it is a racket and thievery. All it does is drive up insurance rates as then the insurance company has to pay the two fee AND the impound fee. As I said though, most cities have contracts w/ the tow companies and they pretty much take all vehicles straight to the impound lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive