U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:05 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,967,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Then you should not have started this thread as you should have known you were not going to get the answers you wanted.

FAIL.

[ETA: Or at least that's what it said before you edited your post. ]

Last edited by Drover; 09-09-2010 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,520,691 times
Quote:
Then you should not have posted in this thread as you should have known you were not going to get the answers you wanted. There are way to many variables on where people live.

Well if you has to pedal that load uphill especially after you turn 60+ years of age you might change your mind. We are a family of 2 now and only grocery shop a few times a month for real perishables like milk.and bread maybe only 3 times per year depending on our needs, but when we do, the load is not very friendly.
Try reading the thread again, carefully this time. I did NOT post the thread. I simply responded to a question you asked. If you did not want an answer, then you should not have presented the question.

As for whether or not I will eventually need a car, I cannot answer that question, and I'm not sure why your feel the need to make assumptions about my future* unless it's to justify your own choices. Once again, your ownership of a car is none of my concern. Obviously, you believe that you need a car. Good for you, and end of story. There is no need for us to continue down this path.

* Just for giggles, I should let you know that my 90-year-old grandfather owns two bikes and rides between 50-100 miles a week. He's always been physically active, and it shows in his overall good health. He is most certainly capable of hauling a trailer full of groceries up a hill, even at his advanced age.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-09-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 PM

42,311 posts, read 49,935,746 times
Work 25 miles away in a different city. No other way to get there, especially at the hours I have to be there.
Hard to take the dogs to the vet without the truck, too. So I need at least 2 out of 3 of my cars...lol. My wife works far away, too. Long hours. Odd hours. I don't think she'd be able to without her car.

So I guess we have one extra car and could get by with 3 instead of 4.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 PM

283 posts, read 474,846 times
Nope. We're 12 miles from the nearest town out here in the sticks & 20 miles up the interstate from the other nearest town. The only place we can walk to is Church (1/4 mile up the road) & the truck stop at the interstate (2 miles up the road). However I would not want to ride or walk up the steep hill you have to get up coming from the truck stop.

However, I have said that when I move to Daytona Beach I want to get one of those little scooters to ride around town, the ones that get like 90mpg. I could pretty much use one of those all the time if I lived down there. The only time I would need my car would be when the weather warranted it (rainy or cold) & when I would have to buy 20 lbs of dog food or cat food.

EDIT~ Forgot that we also use the car when we travel to NASCAR races in Atlanta (6 hours one way) & Daytona (12 1/2 hours one way) & to visit family friends that live 3 1/2 hours, one way, away via car.

Last edited by kerafaith; 09-09-2010 at 10:03 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Then you should not have posted in this thread as you should have known you were not going to get the answers you wanted.
Nice attempt at a rewrite.

Have you read ANY of my posts? I am an advocate of car-lite and car-free living for those of us who are inclined to this lifestyle, and I am more than willing to share my experience with others who want to make the transition, but I am not out to convert the masses. Let me make this perfectly clear: I do not care one way or another about your ownership of a motor vehicle. My post was an honest answer to YOUR question about how I handle groceries and other supplies. It was NOT an invitation for you to attempt to diminish the validity of my choices with unfounded suppositions about my future needs. Frankly, whether or not I need a car when I'm elderly is none of your concern. I will cross that bridge when I get there.

By the way, many groceries in suburban areas offer delivery for a nominal charge. I can have a month's worth of groceries dropped right at my front door for $10 plus tip. They're more than happy to bring a 20# bag of dog food at no additional charge. The local CSA delivers fresh vegetables free of charge to those who subscribe, and there are four different dairies who deliver in the Denver metro region. Even if someone in my area is totally incapable of leaving the house, there's no reason for him to go hungry unless he's flat broke.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-09-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 PM

283 posts, read 474,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
By the way, many groceries in suburban areas offer delivery for a nominal charge. I can have a month's worth of groceries delivered to my house for $10 plus tip. They're more than happy to bring a 20# bag of dog food at no additional charge.
Maybe so but I get my dog food & cat food from Wal-Mart. And they don't deliver. And even if I lived in an area where I could get it delivered from another store chances are I am going to pay $5 more for the bag & then the delivery charge & then the tip. That's like an additional $20 just to get the dog food when it would only cost me like $3 worth of gas to go get it myself.

I'm not saying that having the option to have your groceries delivered is a bad thing. I just don't think that I would choose it. But as it is I don't even have the option. We can't even get a pizza delivered out here where I live. So groceries delivery are defiently out.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,997,774 times
This is a great topic. My knee jerk reaction was "what?! of course I need a car! What a silly question". But in all honesty, aside from work, I wouldn't need one. I'm a therapist and I travel to different locations several times a week. I sometimes get called in for crisis situations, as well. I could NOT rely on public transportation, a taxi, or carpooling to get to work. That's totally out of the question for me. I think if I had a predictable schedule, and if I worked nearby, then I could definitely arrange a way to get to work and not have to rely on owning a car. I can do most everything else without one. It may take some planning but it's doable.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
Maybe so but I get my dog food & cat food from Wal-Mart. And they don't deliver. And even if I lived in an area where I could get it delivered from another store chances are I am going to pay $5 more for the bag & then the delivery charge & then the tip. That's like an additional $20 just to get the dog food when it would only cost me like $3 worth of gas to go get it myself.

I'm not saying that having the option to have your groceries delivered is a bad thing. I just don't think that I would choose it. But as it is I don't even have the option. We can't even get a pizza delivered out here where I live. So groceries delivery are defiently out.
Notice that I wrote that in many suburbs these services are available. By your own admission, you live in the sticks. I live in a metropolitan region. (BTW, have you checked out your local feed store? Their prices are pretty competitive, as ranchers and farmers are a thrifty bunch.)

This discussion has entered complex territory. Rural living requires a personal vehicle (and probably four-wheel drive at that) by its very design. Some people choose exurban/rural living because they assume that lower house prices will allow them to live more comfortably within their means, but they often fail to calculate the true cost of commuting. Cars are very expensive and depreciate ruthlessly. Fuel prices can vary dramatically, wreaking havoc on one's monthly budget. Insurance rates? Do we even need to go there? Not to mention the hassle of being in highway traffic everyday. I suppose one could argue that a car can be bought used minimizing the expense, but observation leads me to believe that the more time one spends in a car, the nicer that car must be. If you're spending an hour plus commuting each day, will you really be satisfied with a beater? I seriously doubt it.

All that said, the fact is that those of us who live in metropolitan areas can probably get by easily with fewer vehicles than are sitting in our garages, if we are willing to choose our living accommodations carefully. There are a myriad of resources available to make car-lite or car-free living possible, but when one is accustomed to getting in a car for every need, it's easy to overlook them.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-09-2010 at 11:27 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 AM

4,486 posts, read 14,948,261 times
I think formercalifornian makes some very valid and interesting points, she has really got my wheels turning (no pun intended) about the proposition of not using a motor vehicle. I can see if I didn't have a career, that it would be possible to live without a vehicle. I live in a suburban area but Scottsdale is probably the LEAST mass-transit friendly place in the entire valley. If I lived in downtown Phoenix or in Tempe, a car-lite lifestyle would be very possible and could even reach the pinnacle of being efficient.

There aren't many times I get intrigued by a thread but this one really has provoked some thought in my brain. I wouldn't MIND trying a car-lite/free lifestyle but I don't think I'd be able to with my 30 mile commute each day...could be difficult to find mass transit that would make my commuting a wash between driving or take a bus/light-rail.

Interesting idea...

Old 09-10-2010, 09:03 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,520,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Hey, I like cars, too, and as a matter of fact, my FIL is the editor of a car magazine and has published thousands of articles about auto racing over the course of his career. He travels around the world meeting with drivers, owners, etc., and I've seen and ridden in more than my fair share of extraordinary vehicles. But, can we agree that the typical road car isn't a work of art or exemplary engineering, and I-25 (or any other highway of your choice) isn't LeMans or Watkins Glen? Day-to-day driving stinks. It's traffic jams and road rage, insurance premiums and registration fees. It's definitely not the image of freedom that car ads portray.
As I said earlier, I'd actually love it if peopel who dont' like cars took mass transit or other methods and freed up the roads for the rest of us.

Unfortunately, unlike most European cities and tows, a lot of our westward expansion and creation of towns and cities has been done on the backs of personal transportation and wide open spaces, making for longer travel times between home/work/supplies. With a lot of modern towns being built around automotive use and truck transport, it becaem feasable to build things at distnces from each other that had previously been a day or two apart fr walking or horseback, as those distances got to an hour or less apart. Giving up the cars returns those hour distances to a day (how long does it take you to walk 60 miles? How long to drive it?) and that' sno longer feasable.

Of course our CHOICES to live and work at those distances makes owning a car a necesssity in order to accomplish that livestyle. But the fact that it was achoice to begin with means the car sint' actually a necessity. Youd simply have to choose to live and work and get supplies in a much smaller area (of course, then your costs of living could go up due to having to rent/buy more expensive property that is closer and more convenient to work/play/supplies, so total costs could still be a wash).

Persoanlly, I'm not giving up my choice to own drive cars, preferably unique and fun ones. I like the artistic exopression of a custom car. I like the freedom to come and go on my schedule, not a bus or train's schedule and change up where I go (or go to multiple unrelated locations) easily. Taking a bicycle or train or bus to a wide range of locations in one trip is difficult, time consuming, and often very nearly impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or