U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM

41 posts, read 152,505 times

Advertisements

In the process of buying a used vehicle from a reputable dealer out of state. First identified the car three weeks ago, had someone check it out in person, looked around locally for a similar deal (and didn't find it), so called dealer early on Friday, Sep. 3rd, indicating desire to purchase (wanting to get moving before the Labor Day sale).

Left several messages that day for the Internet sales guy with no response. He finally calls me the next morning to collect my credit card deposit and give us instruction on filling out the credit app online. WE HEAR NOTHING ELSE FROM HIM the rest of Saturday and nothing Sunday until I get peeved and call another sales guy who is somehow associated with the deal. He goes over financing options (FICO score is just below prime, so ended up with a subprime lender) and promises he'll call me Monday the 6th with details for the Buyer's Order or whatever.

No call Monday. We call him Tuesday; he says the F&I guy was out Monday and that he'll get with me asap. F&I guy doesn't call until Wednesday; we go over numbers, he says he's gonna FedEx me the package. Thursday rolls around; I call to make sure the package went out and learn that it didn't. He calls me back later in the afternoon, assures me it'll go out that day. Haven't received it yet, hoping it'll be here this afternoon. I'm to review/sign package, FedEx it all back (earliest he'd get it would be Monday), then he will FedEx to the lender (Santander).

Does this timing and chain of events sound about right, or should I be howling at the dealership for reparations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,618,407 times
It sounds like this "reputable" dealer is terribly run. They don't seem to be in a hurry to get your business.

So - NO, it shouldn't take that long.

Perhaps you should finance elsewhere - like a credit union.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times
Well, I'd say one of four things:

1. The dealer doesn't have it's act together at all and is jerking you around.

2. They are really busy selling cars to face-to-face customers and you keep dropping to the bottom of the pile.

3. There is an issue with the cars title which could be as simple as it being a new trade and they are still in the process of getting the title straightened out and in the right hands.

4. They are having trouble actually securing financing, so they are stringing you along hoping they can get something approved.

For what it's worth, once you had the deal agreed to and deposit placed I would have made arrangements to just drive there, finish the deal and pick up the car. It really shouldn't have taken this long to get the deal done. If I had to guess it's a combination of 1 and 2. Even if that's the case, I doubt you are going to see any "reparations" from them.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:03 PM

41 posts, read 152,505 times
Maybe reparations isn't the right word -- I just want to ***** to the owner if I'm not being treated right. I feel like I've been given the runaround from start to finish and know for sure that if I'd sauntered into the dealership in person, I'd already to be driving my car.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times
I would definitely complain. Just call up and ask to speak to the GM. At the very least you may get an explanation and some action.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM

968 posts, read 2,099,286 times
i would have cut out of the deal when the docs didn't go out. if they don't want your business you shouldn't patronize them with it.

my dealership overnighted the docs to me, it was my bank that messed everything up making me wait 5 hours on a saturday.

but the dealership had me on a couch, free water and sodas, and offered to buy me lunch.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 09-10-2010 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 03:16 PM

7,475 posts, read 19,569,061 times
I think your reputable dealer is a scam artist. I'd stop the CC payment and run as fast as I could. Something smells very wrong here..!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:41 PM

13,390 posts, read 42,724,996 times
Not real clear to me why you are dealing with an out of state dealer, is this a hard-to-find car you are buying?

I agree with Donn - this does not sound right.

I'd tell them to straighten up and do the deal right or you will cancel your check and walk.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:21 PM

7,475 posts, read 19,569,061 times
I live in So Calif and purchased a used vehicle from a dealership in NJ. I spoke to the owner over the phone, we made a deal, I gave him my CC number and he delivered my vehicle to the shipper I chose to deal with. The vehicle arrived in LA eight days later, no muss, no fuss..
Getting the run-a-round and constant excuses why the deal isn't done would chase me right down the road. Dealerships have office staff to do the paperwork, and it should be done in hours, not weeks...!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:52 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
That is not a reputable dealer. he should have made the deal over the interent and then had you come in to do the paperwork. There was no need for a deposit at all.There also is no way I'd buy any car without actually driviong. When buying out of state that has to be considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or