U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 AM

968 posts, read 2,098,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Why tip at all? I may be odd, but I never ever tip. I don't like how some workers make loads of tips, and other workers never get tips. The Walmart cashier that makes minimum wage and is on her feet for 8 hours at day never gets a dime in tips, yet people like cab drivers and bellhops routinely get quite a bit in tips, without doing nearly as much work.

Bottom line, just don't tip.
so you don't think people deserve tips for a job well done?

those people take jobs at walmart because they can't hack it at a "tip based" job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 PM

422 posts, read 603,059 times
exactly. if I want something well done, I go to that class of restaurant $50+/person. but if I want something cheap, I'll go somewhere $20+/person.

any worker that gives a better job to a better tipper should be fired. we pay for the service already, no need to waste money on a tip.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:18 PM

968 posts, read 2,098,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
exactly. if I want something well done, I go to that class of restaurant $50+/person. but if I want something cheap, I'll go somewhere $20+/person.

any worker that gives a better job to a better tipper should be fired. we pay for the service already, no need to waste money on a tip.
you know that the restaurant industry does not pay a living wage, correct?

i think its still at $2 something an hour, possibly $3 now.

tipping is the only place i feel people should spread the wealth, we're american, and we make money based on our performance. you get a bonus when your quarterly numbers are up. i call that a tip, so feel free to return your bonus.

back on topic, if someone actually does beautiful work on my tint he deserves to be compensated more because i can afford it.

warren buffett is immensly rich, and he tips, anything else is just being a scrooge.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 09-14-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 01:32 PM

143 posts, read 360,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
so you don't think people deserve tips for a job well done?

those people take jobs at walmart because they can't hack it at a "tip based" job.
Tips are certainly customary in some industries. The restaurant industry is a great example...these folks make $2 an hour or so.

The issue is that people always try to add their industry to that list. In this case, it's almost a bribe instead of a tip. "Hey please do a good job on my car Mr. Tint Guy!" / "Hey, please don't bang my door into the concrete pillar Mr. Valet!" - it's their job...if they can't do it properly at the rate they're paid, they should be fired.

And the thought that someone who works a cash register at Wal-Mart couldn't open a door and smile...wow...

Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
Had a slight adjustment done to the door on my car last week at the local body shop.

Even tho the job was considerd small ($) I still gave him a tip.

Well ...yesterday I had to redo the job myself and the other door as well as they were not closing properly. As a former mechanic and not a body man...hate paying to have something done and then have to repair the job myself.

In addition to some hood work (repair/paint) he had done earlier I also had to adjust the latch/catch because it was out of alignment...one pound of the hammer and it was straight and would now catch and also release smoothly.

The car is an old 1966 VW bug and has seen many days but is still worth $$$ due to it's year/condition and the performance Turbo motor I installed.

Maybe I should come out of retirement and go into the auto body business.

So much for a well (?) done job and a tip too boot.

Another thing...owners of a business should never except a tip...I always took it as an insult and would always decline any when offered. The quality of my work and a satisfied customer was my tip.

Steve

Old 09-14-2010, 04:28 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,314,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I would offer the guy a bottle of water and call it the day.
Small things like this the guy will remember more than money. I know I sure do. If the guy is sweatin his b*lls off and doing a good job offer him a drink for crying out loud! The best tip is "hey don't die of heat stroke while you are working on my stuff"!

Old 09-15-2010, 03:59 PM

422 posts, read 603,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
you know that the restaurant industry does not pay a living wage, correct?

i think its still at $2 something an hour, possibly $3 now.

tipping is the only place i feel people should spread the wealth, we're american, and we make money based on our performance. you get a bonus when your quarterly numbers are up. i call that a tip, so feel free to return your bonus.

back on topic, if someone actually does beautiful work on my tint he deserves to be compensated more because i can afford it.

warren buffett is immensly rich, and he tips, anything else is just being a scrooge.
quarterly bonus? I wish

Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 PM

2,671 posts, read 5,409,656 times
For something like tinting on warranty, I may not. I'll offer water/something to drink or order food if I'm getting some for myself.

Everything else service based that rely on tipping for a living, I do and do so generously (barber, dine-in restaurants/waiter/waitress, bag boy at the supermarket, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive