U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,502,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Nah, that last YouTube gave em a reality check! lol Sheesh, it's like they never saw the domestics before!
Here's the problem with guys like you. You are seriously closed minded about what you think you know. In fact, since I'm telling you that there's proof aplenty that factory new V6 FWD cars run 14s off the showroom floor, you, think that all I know is ricers, and don't know anything about Domestics.

My first car was a domestic. Slow as hell (but I loved it. A '62 Comet 6 cyl with 3 on the tree). in '80, I then bought a '71 Torino GT with the 351C in it that I immediately replaced with a 429 SCJ that I built up myself:

After that was a couple '70 Mustang fastbacks (A BOSS 302 and a drag race Mach 1 with a 428, as well as an autocrossing 302 fastback). then I went GM with a 454 powered '66 Chevelle (was originally a 283 car). then a built 400 powered Pontiac Grand Lemans:

At the time I was also into autocrossing, so I was building a bunch of imports, like Rotary Mazdas. This little car was a fast autocross/slalom racer, but also pulled 13s at the drag strip:

But I kept my toes in Domestics, like this Fox Mustang with a 466 cid big block:

It was built for track days at the road race course, but even with top end gears (2:43s) it would still pull low 11s on street tires. After that, I built that V8 RX7 with the small block that also ran 11s, while also pulling 1.2 Gs laterally.

While I didn't personally build or drive 8 second cars, I do know what it takes to run 10s and 11s in street cars. I'd never OWN a new Accord or Camry, but I DO know just how quick they actually are. And yes, they are 13-14 second cars in stock form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 08:24 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,318,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Here's the problem with guys like you. You are seriously closed minded about what you think you know. In fact, since I'm telling you that there's proof aplenty that factory new V6 FWD cars run 14s off the showroom floor, you, think that all I know is ricers, and don't know anything about Domestics.

My first car was a domestic. Slow as hell (but I loved it. A '62 Comet 6 cyl with 3 on the tree). in '80, I then bought a '71 Torino GT with the 351C in it that I immediately replaced with a 429 SCJ that I built up myself:

After that was a couple '70 Mustang fastbacks (A BOSS 302 and a drag race Mach 1 with a 428, as well as an autocrossing 302 fastback). then I went GM with a 454 powered '66 Chevelle (was originally a 283 car). then a built 400 powered Pontiac Grand Lemans:

At the time I was also into autocrossing, so I was building a bunch of imports, like Rotary Mazdas. This little car was a fast autocross/slalom racer, but also pulled 13s at the drag strip:

But I kept my toes in Domestics, like this Fox Mustang with a 466 cid big block:

It was built for track days at the road race course, but even with top end gears (2:43s) it would still pull low 11s on street tires. After that, I built that V8 RX7 with the small block that also ran 11s, while also pulling 1.2 Gs laterally.

While I didn't personally build or drive 8 second cars, I do know what it takes to run 10s and 11s in street cars. I'd never OWN a new Accord or Camry, but I DO know just how quick they actually are. And yes, they are 13-14 second cars in stock form.
13 seconds it is then. Just make it a 12:99 and we'll settle on that number. I am stoked about how quick these stock Accords and Camerys are and am supprized you don't want one for yourself seems how quick they are and all. That is faster than anything from Ford or GM in V-8 trim that was built prior to the last few years. Why by a Corvette when you can get a Honda that will smoke it?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,318,689 times
The General doesn't buy that either!

YouTube - Corvette Z06 0-190 MPH

YouTube - 2011 Chevrolet Corvette - Still Building Rockets

Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,804,020 times
Quote:
13 seconds it is then. Just make it a 12:99 and we'll settle on that number. I am stoked about how quick these stock Accords and Camerys are and am supprized you don't want one for yourself seems how quick they are and all. That is faster than anything from Ford or GM in V-8 trim that was built prior to the last few years. Why by a Corvette when you can get a Honda that will smoke it?
Look, I love the Corvette, I love Camaros, I love the current Mustangs and the Fox Bodies (the 94-03 or whenever they switched to the newer style... not so much) and have a massive appreciation for classic American muscle. I can't wait till I can find a good El Camino to work on...

...all that said:

Stock 2009 Infiniti G37 - S Sport Coupe 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com
Stock '09 Infiniti G37 Coupe - 13.73

2009 Honda Civic SI 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com
'09 Civic SI coupe with CAI and cat-back - 13.88

Stock 2004 Honda S2000 Stock 1/4 mile Drag Racing timeslip specs 0-60 - DragTimes.com
Stock '04 S2000 - 13.75

I'll never understand why people automatically write off anything that's an import as being a worthless rice burner.

No doubt you've seen the video of the turbo Civic levelling a Murcielago...

YouTube - Turbo Civic vs Lamborghini Murcielago

...or this one of the beat-up looking CRX versus the Murcielago...

YouTube - Lamborghini Murcielago vs Honda CRX

Obviously, these cars were modified, but then so is basically anything that hits the track or the strip!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,804,283 times
I do hope you know that dragtimes.com is an non verified website where anyone can post any times they want.. It means nothing..

quote=415_s2k;15954191]Look, I love the Corvette, I love Camaros, I love the current Mustangs and the Fox Bodies (the 94-03 or whenever they switched to the newer style... not so much) and have a massive appreciation for classic American muscle. I can't wait till I can find a good El Camino to work on...

...all that said:

Stock 2009 Infiniti G37 - S Sport Coupe 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com
Stock '09 Infiniti G37 Coupe - 13.73

2009 Honda Civic SI 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com
'09 Civic SI coupe with CAI and cat-back - 13.88

Stock 2004 Honda S2000 Stock 1/4 mile Drag Racing timeslip specs 0-60 - DragTimes.com
Stock '04 S2000 - 13.75

I'll never understand why people automatically write off anything that's an import as being a worthless rice burner.

No doubt you've seen the video of the turbo Civic levelling a Murcielago...

YouTube - Turbo Civic vs Lamborghini Murcielago

...or this one of the beat-up looking CRX versus the Murcielago...

YouTube - Lamborghini Murcielago vs Honda CRX

Obviously, these cars were modified, but then so is basically anything that hits the track or the strip![/quote]

Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
You realize that saying a car runs, say, 13s, means anything from 13.001 to 13.999 don't you? That's how quick modern V6 sedans are. Plain fact. When I say they run 13s and 14s, I don't mean 13 flat and 14 flat ONLY. But watch that MotorWeek video.

And cars aren't about just being quick in a straight line. They have to be emotionally involving and the problem with cars like Acords and Camrys is that they aren't. They are boring to drive fast, as there's no drama, no proper sound, and it's way too much like driving a video game, for levels of involvement and isolation from the act of driving. Even my BMW 740iL is more involving than most modern family sedans. I don't want one because for $30k, I can build a much more fun and involving car. Which is why I drive a much less expenive, but more fun older BMW 7 series, and am building my Lexus 4.0 V8 powered '63 Comet convertible.

Last edited by SpeedyAZ; 09-20-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I do hope you know that dragtimes.com is an non verified website where anyone can post any times they want.. It means nothing..
And anything we could post here, you could say the same thing about. It's a convenient out for you so you don't have to actually learn anything.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,804,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
And anything we could post here, you could say the same thing about. It's a convenient out for you so you don't have to actually learn anything.
actually I post vids at the track and you can see the times.. So you are incorrect.
Ricers are notorious for claiming times that are in their imaginations and not what their cars are capable of.. Like I said. See it almost every weekend. They have their chest puffed out with their 7" fart can exhaust and claim with all their mods, their car can go in the 12's.. You should see the look on thir face whrn the timeslip reads 16.3. . priceless. And then will keep trying all night.. and never get any faster. Seen it a hundred times..

Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,354,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
actually I post vids at the track and you can see the times.. So you are incorrect.
Ricers are notorious for claiming times that are in their imaginations and not what their cars are capable of.. Like I said. See it almost every weekend. They have their chest puffed out with their 7" fart can exhaust and claim with all their mods, their car can go in the 12's.. You should see the look on thir face whrn the timeslip reads 16.3. . priceless. And then will keep trying all night.. and never get any faster. Seen it a hundred times..
it used to be that way 5-6 yearsd ago now it seem the imports are turbo 240SX's and nissian 350Z's with superchargers and tons of bolt ons and tricked out G35 coupes with nitrous.

yes there are still quite a few honda civics and acura integra but alot of the kids went into better performing RWD turbo 4cyl/hi-po V6 imports or picked up a 05-09 mustang GT or 98-02 camaro SS and went domestic for ease of mods.

A LS1 camaro/firebird/Trans-Am is a great bang for the buck used car and with some $$ and a heads/cam/intake pkg and a proper tune 450-475HP is pretty easy to get not bad for a car you can now pick up for under $10K in decent condition.

alot of the kids got smart why blow tons 0f $$$ to get a 400HP mid-high 12-low 13 second civic when you can just do a few bolt-ons and a tune and have the same power in a camaro Z28/SS

another great perfomance buy is a 03-04 cobra with just a pulley change and a perfomance dyno tune you can have a 550RWHP supercar that can run with the shelby GT500 and corvette Z06 and older vipers.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM

6,571 posts, read 17,975,799 times
Real cool video just posted at the track.

All the cars lined up bumper to bumper behind the staging cars.

People crossing the track behind the staging cars.

Run what you brung attitude with a ride-a-long friend.

The drivers window rolled down so that in case the car were to roll it would be easier for him to lose a arm.

I'm sounding sarcastic I know...it's just that I saw the results of a young high school boy losing his right arm out the window on a roll over driven by a young girl on the street next to the fwy I was on. I saw him on the pavement and read the next morning paper what had happened.

Is it worth the possible loss of a limb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive