U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
This is not surprising. If testosterone was not enough, there are now movies glorifying this. At least in my day the movies portrayed it correctly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Love those old marquee posters! But, I would bet that Fast & Furious booked more views than all of the 1950's, 60's and 70's movies combined that even mention a hot rod or racing. The only one of which that even moved the needle was Rebel Without a Cause where the racer dies going over the cliff (just deserts).

And, listen to the moralizing summary of the Chuck Connors movie from IMDb:

When his younger brother, Steve, is killed racing a hot-rod, Jeff Northup blames himself for the accident since he had built the car for his brother and had encouraged him to race it, with other boys on a special course provided by police detective Ben Merrill, who is working to reduce the city's hot-rod fatalities by providing supervision for the dangerous hobby. Jeff withdraws from participating in races on Merrill's course and, without his leadership, revert to racing on the streets. "Bronc" Talbott, a newcomers, makes a play for Jeff's girlfriend, Lisa Vernon. Eventually, the taunting-Talbott forces Jeff into a race which results in the death of a bicycling child, and evidence seems to indicate Jeff was at fault.

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-14-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
10-15 years ago the car would have been a modded 5.0 mustang GT Vs. a 3rd or 4th gen camaro Z28
I guess thimgs have not really changed for teen car enthusiasts only the cars they drive.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times
Quote:
It seems crazy, but a mild build Accord with nitrous which they run generically all over the country will have high 12 and low 13 times. What we would have seen as pretty respectable by 426 hemi Road Runner standards. Of course, you can buy a pretty expensive car today to get into the 11's.
I may have been out of racing for about 2 years now, but I can assure you that no one who actually races would take either of those cars seriously unless they were talking about commuter cars.

I understand that people will race anything, but I also find it very funny when they paint people "racing" regular cars as some sort of hardcore street racers. Low-13's / high-12's may seem impressive and it is for an Accord, but 10's or even better tends to be more common among actual street racers.

The Fast and the Furious was the best thing that ever happened to the real race crowd, because it convinced all the idiots that their commuter car was just like the ones in the movie. It took a lot of heat off the real racers who tend to congregate in out of the way places or *gasp* actually go to the track. The only folks who complained about the movie and it's impact were the legit import racers.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
10-15 years ago the car would have been a modded 5.0 mustang GT Vs. a 3rd or 4th gen camaro Z28
I guess thimgs have not really changed for teen car enthusiasts only the cars they drive.
If you are looking at legit racers, the old 5.0's and 4th gen F-bodies are still some of the preferred rides. The field has definitely expanded with a lot of imports too, but when we are talking imports, we aren't talking Accords and Altimas.

I don't see these types of "races" as being between enthusiasts, more about "appendage length" contests between some dumb kids with too much time on their hands. Putting these kind of people into the bucket with "enthusiasts/racers" gives them way more credit and legitimacy than they deserve.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,901,941 times
Once those fast and furious movies came out, every kid with a honda thought he owned a race car

Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I may have been out of racing for about 2 years now, but I can assure you that no one who actually races would take either of those cars seriously unless they were talking about commuter cars.

I understand that people will race anything, but I also find it very funny when they paint people "racing" regular cars as some sort of hardcore street racers. Low-13's / high-12's may seem impressive and it is for an Accord, but 10's or even better tends to be more common among actual street racers.

The Fast and the Furious was the best thing that ever happened to the real race crowd, because it convinced all the idiots that their commuter car was just like the ones in the movie. It took a lot of heat off the real racers who tend to congregate in out of the way places or *gasp* actually go to the track. The only folks who complained about the movie and it's impact were the legit import racers.
Fortunately for civilians on the streets, I have been out of racing for a very long time. Help me with the 10's. Would those 10 second vehicles reasonably show up on the street?

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-14-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Fortunately for civilians on the streets, I have been out of racing for a very long time. Help me with the 10's. Would those 10 second vehicles reasonably show up on the street?
Quite often. It all depends on where you go and what you are looking for. Major cruise spots are more for fun and you will see a wide variety of cars. The more popularized racing locations tend to attract a lot of different people, but not really the serious cars whose owners don't want to be caught up in the BS that happens there.

If you go to the right cruise spots you will see the more serious cars find each other and head off somewhere more private for some fun. If you are in the know regarding a real race location you will find the slowest cars are usually in the high 10's with some of the faster cars running 8's.

I have several friends who still race (mainly on tracks these days) that drive 10 second street cars both N/A and FI, so it's not like they are flipping on the nitrous for their fun. 10's may seem a little extreme, but it is very achievable with a 4th-gen F-body, 5.0 Mustang or Corvette as well as several different imports (though the imports usually require a little more effort/money to get there).

Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM

I do miss the thrill, but a couple of years' driving suspension back in the 70's ended my side by side street racing career. And, back then we were operating vehicles that would not break into the 13's for the most part. Quite a difference between those dinosaurs and a 10 second car. The only 10 second car I have driven in recent years is a buddy's blown 502 T bucket and I had my foot in it for about 2 seconds and that was enough.

Surprising there are not more drag racing deaths if people are showing up on the street with 10 second cars.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,283,477 times
I can guarantee you only a small percentage of street racers runs anything near 10's. When I was younger I went to the drag races every weekend in San Francisco, Milbrae and Oakland and most of the cars whether import or domestic were lucky to break 12's. Oakland always had the bigger turn out, easily 150+ cars and there were definitely some quick runner that dipped below 12 but most of them certainly didn't. I've seen some pretty mean Chevelles, EVO's/STi's, Cobras, Talons (will never forget how fast this car was because he ripped me a new one when I had my TT 300ZX), Corvettes, etc. Some of the drivers were terrible too, I remember seeing a guy with a previous gen Cobra with swapped pulley's show up and everyone expected him to be fairly quick. He lines up with some kind of motor swapped EG hatchback and the Honda leaves while the Cobra is still spinning its tires. Hilarious. I'd say 12's/13's were the most common for anyone remotely serious with the occasional car running 14's/15's (not really interesting to watch but everyone gets a chance).

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 09-14-2010 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive