U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM

9,322 posts, read 11,246,447 times

Advertisements

They were on their way to White Castle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 02:38 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,498,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I do miss the thrill, but a couple of years' driving suspension back in the 70's ended my side by side street racing career. And, back then we were operating vehicles that would not break into the 13's for the most part. Quite a difference between those dinosaurs and a 10 second car. The only 10 second car I have driven in recent years is a buddy's blown 502 T bucket and I had my foot in it for about 2 seconds and that was enough.

Surprising there are not more drag racing deaths if people are showing up on the street with 10 second cars.
I'm not talking about the people who head to a cruising "strip" and race or even the people who have the large get togethers in industrial areas. I'm talking about the folks that meet in very secluded spots and you don't even know where it is unless you get invited.

These are guys who spray VHT (aka "trackbite") on the road and if they do ever head to the track they keep their number private. I know quite a few folks racing 8 second "street" cars at these events. Some of them are driven in, others do get trailered.

For the most part your average modified street car that I've run with are running low 12's to low 11's while still being streetable. There is a real difference between the people who take it seriously and the ones that are just doing it for S&G's.

I only take exception to when everytime some kid wrecks his car playing around on the street they immediately refer to them as "street racers". For the most part those people have no idea what real street racing is.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:48 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,314,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I always find it funny when they talk about a street race and then list the cars as an Accord and an Altima...yeah, there's a real race for ya.
I would say the same thing. 1 Honda Accord+1 Nissan Altima +2 wanna be racers equals trouble. Proof that cars like this are not designed for racing. I'm sure the manufacturers would agree! Some how every car is a muscle car nowadays and is a race car. You mix that mentality with a kid and another guy old enough to know better and some booze and it is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:34 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,286,780 times
That's because these cars make something like 270+hp which really was a sports car figure just a few years ago. V6 Altimas will easily do 13's with mild boltons which is pretty good. I'm pretty shocked with how far cookie cutter sedans have come over the years.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 09-14-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 04:40 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
I would say the same thing. 1 Honda Accord+1 Nissan Altima +2 wanna be racers equals trouble. Proof that cars like this are not designed for racing. I'm sure the manufacturers would agree! Some how every car is a muscle car nowadays and is a race car. You mix that mentality with a kid and another guy old enough to know better and some booze and it is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.
In fairness though, our street racers of the late 60's and early 70's were not competent cars either. Only my 427 68 Vette had the brakes and suspension to go 100+ on the streets. The GTO's and Camaros and Chevells and Road Runners, etc. could barely stop from 100mph. I can remember the shock of my first test drive in a GTO. It developed severe brake fade after a couple of 0 to 60's.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
In fairness though, our street racers of the late 60's and early 70's were not competent cars either. Only my 427 68 Vette had the brakes and suspension to go 100+ on the streets. The GTO's and Camaros and Chevells and Road Runners, etc. could barely stop from 100mph. I can remember the shock of my first test drive in a GTO. It developed severe brake fade after a couple of 0 to 60's.
It's not so much that is we knew where to do it and where not to do it. Some country road out in the middle of nowhere..... use at your own risk. Then you have a downtown street that is full of traffic, buildings and people and two dopes giving her hell bent for leather trying to outdo each other. That is another thing all together and at least we knew the limitations to our cars. That is something these kids today don't grasp the concept of. At least if you spun out in the country all you did was hopefully hit a cornfield or something. Hell, only fools raced where the road was lined with trees to hit if you lost it. FWD, I don't care what anybody says won't regain control like RWD will either. I've spun em both and the RWD is light years easier to regain control in a flat spin. Sure, I'm sure a pro could do better but with the RWD you don't have to be a world class driver to do it. Any 16 year old just starting out with a little tips and pointers from dad could. BTW, don't tell your mom I showed you this, ok?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:07 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
It's not so much that is we knew where to do it and where not to do it. Some country road out in the middle of nowhere..... use at your own risk. Then you have a downtown street that is full of traffic, buildings and people and two dopes giving her hell bent for leather trying to outdo each other. That is another thing all together and at least we knew the limitations to our cars. That is something these kids today don't grasp the concept of. At least if you spun out in the country all you did was hopefully hit a cornfield or something. Hell, only fools raced where the road was lined with trees to hit if you lost it. FWD, I don't care what anybody says won't regain control like RWD will either. I've spun em both and the RWD is light years easier to regain control in a flat spin. Sure, I'm sure a pro could do better but with the RWD you don't have to be a world class driver to do it. Any 16 year old just starting out with a little tips and pointers from Dad could. BTW, don't tell your mom I showed you this, ok?
You are 100% right about that. We had a regular spot of limited access highway where we could block traffic from behind, wait until traffic cleared out in front and run off two or three races before the blocked traffic got too impatient. And, after the 1/4 mile we had marked on a center guardrail you could coast for a mile before encountering anything. Of course, we ran them off from traffic lights to 60 or 70 on surface streets but when things got serious we headed for the usual place. It had the advantage of a popular drive in restaurant (with car hops) right at the beginning to stag and brag.

It looks the same today as it did in 1970 except for the lightpoles and the concrete barrier. I personally painted the 1/4 mile stripes on the old metal barrier. And, if you note a very slight uphill slope you are correct. It made going from a roll (to save tires) very easy.

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times
I would have to say the number 1 killer of teens from my generation was the 5.0 fox body mustang there was always a news article of some teen that wrapped it around a pole or slid it into a ditch doing 100+ miles an hour.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,286,780 times
Quote:
You are 100% right about that. We had a regular spot of limited access highway where we could block traffic from behind, wait until traffic cleared out in front and run off two or three races before the blocked traffic got too impatient. And, after the 1/4 mile we had marked on a center guardrail you could coast for a mile before encountering anything. Of course, we ran them off from traffic lights to 60 or 70 on surface streets but when things got serious we headed for the usual place. It had the advantage of a popular drive in restaurant (with car hops) right at the beginning to stag and brag.
They still do this to this day. Meet up at Starbucks or homedepot and head to a blocked off street or highway. When the cops come, back to the meet up spot and then drive to another street or highway in another nearby city.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:

It looks the same today as it did in 1970 except for the lightpoles and the concrete barrier. I personally painted the 1/4 mile stripes on the old metal barrier.
A mistake the younger guys make is visibility. I always wanted a very flat, straight road that I could see a mile or two ahead of me. You always had a SHTF plan too. What if??? What if this or what if that? It's a shame the kids doing it nowadays don't have more common sense. Use your brain kiddos. Your family will be heartbroken!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive