Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 09:41 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,270 times

Advertisements

My brother in laws uncle bought a new Dodge viper and brought it by to take him for a ride, they rode past the dumpy neighboorhoods till the got out on the new four lane then opened it up. The uncle said what you thank, pointing at the speedometer at 150mph, when out of the blue a couple vietanemes teenager's flew past them shotting them the bird as they flew past them in their tiny honda with the coffee can exhaust. My brother-in law/uncle just broke out laughing as there was no way they could have caught up with them. Course these gangbangers probably had a motor jacked from a lexus on Nitros, such is life in the hood nowaday's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
The problem is that they are front wheel drive.. Weight transfer my man... You cannot get under a 2.0 short time with a open diff fwd no matter who you are. Thats why its so very hard to get a decent time with a 4 door econo family car.. Oh and BTW- the old 2 valve 4.6 Mustangs were high 14 cars stock.. At best.. and another thing you forgot is that the v8 wil give you torque low down where the high revving Japanese motors are less torquie and have nothing down low..
I know what torque is and does as well. That is why a '06 Harley Dyna Street Bob with a 88" and Sreamin Eagle stage 1 kit could leave and walk the dog a '06 Honda CB 1000R each and every time. I mean gone like a cool breeze. The Honda kept popping wheelies and revving trying to keep up. Now once it got rolling 80+ the odds changed in the Honda's favor. How do I know this? I'd rather not say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I'm not buying that you're too stupid to watch the vid Drover posted and understand the results of every magazine test ever. Hell, DRIVE one yourself! Do you know what GEARS are? You know that GEARS multiply torque, right?

I swear to god, you guys simply won't believe ANY proof given to you. this is common factual knowledge, repeated all the time. Hell, Frank can come down from his end of NJ, we can go test drive a car off the lot and I'll SHOW him.
I know about gears and know that at least 1 '03 Mach 1 has a 3:55 Trac-Loc in it. You notice they don't show the actual ET on the screen from the clock, right? It's a computer generated edit/dub in. Sure, we'll take their word for it. Even so, I've never seen a Honda of any model that was totally stock even come close to hanging with the more popular and widely known Cobras, SS/Z28, Trans-Am, GT and Mach 1's. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
This thread is fun, lol.

Steve, in all deference to your knowledge and abilities, there are most certainly 8 second cars running on the street. I never said they were all street legal, just that they could be driven there and do routinely race. Just so you know, some of these guys go so far as to prep the road with VHT. Also, a lot of them do have the necessary safety gear as many of them at least test and tune at the track. I'm just glad Frank is in this thread as well, as we are from the same area and he knows what I'm talking about.

On the Accord end the fastest Accord in the country according to their forums, runs high 10's. Of course, the only thing that still makes it an Accord is the body. As for the rest, just head over to drag times and see what's posted. The fastest bone stock late model V6's are running 13.988 - 14.210 trapping at 100 - 102. A gutted, but otherwise stock one, hit 13.653 at 104. The nitrous fed V6's in otherwise stock trim are running 13.4's at 102. The fast Accords are all turbo'd 4 cylinders and even then they are barely breaking the low 13's / high 12's. Most of these guys are pulling 2.0 60's which is about the best you could hope for given the driveline.

The Altima's are doing a little better and stock 3.5's are running 13.851 - 14.164 at 100-102. Nitrous cars are running 13.380 at 106 and the supercharged ones are running 12.614 - 13.380 at 105-110. Again, these guys are running 2.0 60's, which is about as good as it gets. The guy who ran 12.614 in the SC'd one pulled a 1.8 60', so I'm guessing he had quite a bit of work outside the supercharger to get the car to hook like that.

***These numbers represent the best I could find. If we went for average, most are running 14.3's - 14.8's at 98.

Despite people laughing at my 100 horsepower / 1,000 pounds of weight comment. That is generally whats needed to drop a full second in the quarter mile when we are talking about stock cars. The faster you go, the more power/weight it takes at each level (it takes more effort to go from 11's to 10's then it does to go from 12's to 11's). So, each tenth = 10 whp = 100 pounds of weight. If you want to run one tenth faster, you either need to add 10 whp or lose 100 pounds of weight from the car. This is simplistic as other factors kick in, mainly the ability of the suspension and tires to deliver that power.

It's not easy to add that kind of power or remove that kind of weight from either an Accord or Altima. Even after that's been done, you still have to deal with the limitations of FWD and getting the car to hook, which becomes progressively harder as you add power. Then you start running into issues with diffs, axles and transmissions that simply weren't designed to handle that kind of power.

At the end of the day, the most modded and still street legal Accords and Altimas are still slower than a stock Camaro SS and 5.0 Mustang, which are both 12.8 - 12.9 at 108+ capable cars in bone stock trim off the showroom floor. So, I'll say it again, they can be fun toys for people, but they aren't race cars.
I know buddy, I know. Those tests were probably ran too many to mention passes until the best was achieved by a professional driver in the perfect "track" conditions, temperature, altitude etc...etc... The average person won't see anywhere near those numbers.

Quote:
any you are from Maryland..?? ok, Cecil county raceways is better? loll You have a lot to learn..
You should get up from behind the screen and go see how slow these cars are in real life.. and btw- I do own 2 v6 Japanese family cars and they are indeed just that. Family haulers.. Not fast in the least bit..
I have seen many kids walk off the track with their head down and their tail between their legs as well!

Quote:
my friend just sent me this.. 8 second Z06, ac, full weight, full exhaust, PUMP GAS, draf radials, heated seats and AC.. This is for our pro racer who don't believe such an car exists because after all the pro stockers are in the 7's, how can a street car be almost as fast???

YouTube - First 8 Second C6Z06!!! PUMP GAS !!!!
With a ZO6 that doesn't supprize me either Frank. I bet any stock Z06 would rip some of these loudmouth kids a new one. No wait... I know he would!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I swear to god, you guys simply won't believe ANY proof given to you. this is common factual knowledge, repeated all the time. Hell, Frank can come down from his end of NJ, we can go test drive a car off the lot and I'll SHOW him.
trust me.. There is nothing that is going to impress coming from a Honda or Nissan dealership.. especially a 4 door v6 version of them .. as far as speed. Reliability and comfort, yes.. speed? no

Old 09-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Next to the factory supercharged '03-'04 Cobras, these are worthy for teaching lessons to comic book readers. The '11 5.0 GT will settle it once and for all!

YouTube - 2003-2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Compilation

Old 09-17-2010, 02:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
stangs suck............

Old 09-17-2010, 02:54 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
trust me.. There is nothing that is going to impress coming from a Honda or Nissan dealership.. especially a 4 door v6 version of them .. as far as speed. Reliability and comfort, yes.. speed? no
Cue the GT-R fanboys in 3...2...1

Old 09-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
stangs suck............
For the last 46....no wait 47 years! That is consecutive years without any missed model years. The longest running pony car to date and showing no signs of slowing down. I bet all the owners wonder why Ford made junk for the last 47 years and the dealers sell the crap outta them? lol

Old 09-17-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Cue the GT-R fanboys in 3...2...1
Nah, that last YouTube gave em a reality check! lol Sheesh, it's like they never saw the domestics before!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Nah, that last YouTube gave em a reality check! lol Sheesh, it's like they never saw the domestics before!
the 03-04 mach 1 was just really a 99-01 cobra with a shaker hood scoop it was just a filler in the line-up between the base mustang GT and the terminator cobra.

pretty much all the new 2011 GTs run a bigger and better verion of the DOHC 4-Valve 4.6 found in the mach they just bumped it to 5.0 liters.

I do think it would be fun to take a 99-04 GT and drop the new 5.0 and the Getrag MT82 6-speed manual transmission in one that would be pretty cool since I like that styling over the retro ones.
or even do it to a 96-98 GT for a nice sleeper

Last edited by GTOlover; 09-17-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the 03-04 mach 1 was just really a 99-01 cobra with a shaker hood scoop it was just a filler in the line-up between the base mustang GT and the terminator cobra.

pretty much all the new 2011 GTs run a bigger and better verion of the DOHC 4-Valve 4.6 found in they mach the just bumped it to 5.0 liters.
Yeah, they are good for collectors too. Only 9,652 made for '03 and '04 were 7,182. Many of which were turned into drag/race cars or tore up by rich kids gettin a itch in their panties to get one. His only has about 2,500 miles on it and still smells like the day he picked it up inside. It is spotless and with the exception of the first summer of ownership is creampuffed around. The '11 5.0 is real nasty and makes big power and lays down numbers that are blowing peoples minds. It's the one to watch out for boys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive