U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 AM

913 posts, read 721,744 times

Advertisements

do i pay florida sales tax and texas sales tax (if they have one)? i don't have florida tags yet because i can't find my old ones (10 years ago) do i have to pay texas tags and reg when i buy?

anyone care to add anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times
Is this a new car you're buying, or are you buying a preowned from an individual?

I ask because the dealer will automatically add the TX registration into the sale, whereas if you don't have to register it now you can tow it to FL and do it there.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 AM

I've no objection to driving around with a texas reg, just don't want ot pay double. the car is from a dealer

Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 AM

41 posts, read 152,466 times
I'm in the same situation myself. It's very likely that your dealer uses a service to handle out-of-state registrations. Unfortunately, there seems to be quite the hefty fee with this. Best to ask the dealer straight away so you can understand what your options are.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:47 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
The dealer will put a 30-day temp tag on the car, and you will not pay any tax at all. When you get to the state where you intend to register the car, you will transfer your title to that state and pay the sales tax there on the purchase price. If the seller doesn't put on the 30-day temp, you can go to the MV office in Texas and get one yourself, which might cost $5 or $10. Just show the proof of insurance of your previous car.

In Texas, though, the plates stay with the car, so chances are, the car will have a valid TX registration already on it, and you can drive it home with the current TX plates and validation sticker. You will be legal as long as you are carrying the old title and proof of insurance.

As long as the car is covered by insurance and has currently valid plates on it, you are legal. It doesn't matter whose name is on the registration. Ask your present insurer to confirm coverage. Normally, when you buy a car, your existing policy covers it for a certain grace period.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-14-2010 at 06:55 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The dealer will put a 30-day temp tag on the car, and you will not pay any tax at all. When you get to the state where you intend to register the car, you will transfer your title to that state and pay the sales tax there on the purchase price. If the seller doesn't put on the 30-day temp, you can go to the MV office in Texas and get one yourself, which might cost $5 or $10. Just show the proof of insurance of your previous car.

In Texas, though, the plates stay with the car, so chances are, the car will have a valid TX registration already on it, and you can drive it home with the current TX plates and validation sticker. You will be legal as long as you are carrying the old title and proof of insurance.

As long as the car is covered by insurance and has currently valid plates on it, you are legal. It doesn't matter whose name is on the registration. Ask your present insurer to confirm coverage. Normally, when you buy a car, your existing policy covers it for a certain grace period.

very helpful jtur. thank you. let me get this straight, if i buy the car in texas and keep the texas plates on, i don't have to pay florida sales tax?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
very helpful jtur. thank you. let me get this straight, if i buy the car in texas and keep the texas plates on, i don't have to pay florida sales tax?
No, you WILL have to pay sales tax to Florida. Not to Texas. The Texas annual registration has been paid, but when the car is sold, a sales tax is payable (that's called double and triple and quadruple and qunituple and sextuple taxation---sales tax has already been paid several times on that car).

Eventually, you will need to title and plate the car in Florida, and at that time, the sales tax will be assessed by your local DMV. If you can, try to get a bill of sale from the dealer showing a much lower amount of purchase price, so the sales tax will be lower. Dealers might not do that, but a private seller will. But some states assess sales tax on the KBB valuation of the car, regardless of condition. In some states, you can just declare the price you paid, and pay sales tax on that amount. Check with your DMV in FL and see how they assess a car for sales tax. A bill of sale is not necessary for a title transfer, so there is usually no way for DMV to verify exactly how much you paid.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-14-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,789,338 times
If any tax is paid to Texas....You can deduct that from your Fl. tax upon registration. Just went through it this past week with a car brought in from out of state. You will not be double dipped on taxes....But you will have to pay taxes in one state or the other.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 AM

7,475 posts, read 19,561,668 times
In California, if you purchase an out of state vehicle and pay tax to the state in which it was purchased, you will only pay the difference, if any, when registering it in California.
I would assume most states would do the same. You will NOT pay taxes twice...!!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM

41 posts, read 152,466 times
Very interesting comments. Wonder why my out-of-state dealer is charging me $270 for the privilege of driving off his lot if none of that paperwork is required (save for perhaps the temporary tag I can pick up at the DMV) until I get it back home to NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive