U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:37 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,213 times

Advertisements

So I have a new 2010 model car.

I've never had a "new" car before, and previously the newest car I'd had was a 4 year old car (a 2002 VW Jetta bought in 2006).

My question, which is not model specific, but more about modern new cars in general is as follows-

1. What is the lifespan of these gadgets? This car has an automatic/button PARKING BRAKE for example. It feels odd not having to pull up the handbrake. Also things like dimming rear mirrors, that sort of thing. On a new car, what’s the lifespan and reliability of such?

2. For normal usage, what is the mileage point at which one should first change brakes, and switch out the tires?

3. Generally, does any major work need to be done on cars before 50K?

Anything else I should know about brand new cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,321,908 times
Did you get a Passat?

Most things should be okay.

Brakes should be changed when they wear down. This depends on the weight of the vehicle, the quality of OEM parts, and the way and type of driving that you do. Typically ... 20-40k miles.

Tires - 30-40k miles depending on equipment, etc etc (see above).

Major work? Not much. Brake fluid flush. Brakes. Might want to do spark plugs at 40k depending on the motor.

Generally, follow the owners manual to comply with warranty.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times
I would say for basic stuff like motors and trannys they will last longer than old 60's/70's motors and trannys but the older stuff was easier and cheaper to rebuild as for gimmicks like automatic parking assit I think it is a waste and a gimmick and something you don't really need.

these days a base model car/truck that is well maintained and serviced should get 200,000 miles out of it easy before having to worry about major reapirs or catastrophic failures.

the best maintenance is preventive maintenance

Old 09-14-2010, 01:58 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I would say for basic stuff like motors and trannys they will last longer than old 60's/70's motors and trannys but the older stuff was easier and cheaper to rebuild as for gimmicks like automatic parking assit I think it is a waste and a gimmick and something you don't really need.
Odd thing on the car I have, that automatic thing IS the parking brake. That's been the hardest adjustment, not "pulling" the handbrake.

Hope that button is as powerful and reliable!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Hope that button is as powerful and reliable!
From what I understand, automatic parking brakes are more powerful than the traditional "pull up" kind, because they don't need human muscle power to engage.

What kind of are are we talking about here?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:16 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,613,257 times
Tire and brake wear is highly variable, even within the same brand of vehicle.

Example - we bought a 2006 Pilot and 2006 Ridgeline at the same time. The OEM tires (Goodyear) on the Pilot were done at 35K miles. The Ridgeline still has the original rear tires (Michelin LTX) with 75K miles. I replaced the fronts at about 68K. The Pilot's brake pads were changed at 80K miles - phenomenal life. The Ridgeline is still on its original pads with 75K miles.

Recent Honda Accords are wearing through their rear pads at less than 20K miles in some cases.

Change brakes and tires when they are worn. That is not so much a mileage issue - you have to inspect them.

Otherwise follow the owner's manual for the maintenance schedule. Do not assume your dealer's service department has your best interest in mind - because they are very likely to recommend far more service than VW says is required.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
Depending on what you got, keep in mind that VW is very picky about engine oils on some of the cars, particularly Diesels. VW has a particular spec and only a few European oils, mostly expensive synthetics, meet it. You only have to follow the recommendations if you want to keep your warrenty in effect.

Given the severe driving environment in DC, your brake pad life probably won't be anything to brag about.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,314,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
So I have a new 2010 model car.

I've never had a "new" car before, and previously the newest car I'd had was a 4 year old car (a 2002 VW Jetta bought in 2006).

My question, which is not model specific, but more about modern new cars in general is as follows-

1. What is the lifespan of these gadgets? This car has an automatic/button PARKING BRAKE for example. It feels odd not having to pull up the handbrake. Also things like dimming rear mirrors, that sort of thing. On a new car, what’s the lifespan and reliability of such?

2. For normal usage, what is the mileage point at which one should first change brakes, and switch out the tires?

3. Generally, does any major work need to be done on cars before 50K?

Anything else I should know about brand new cars?
The fact is the more parts and gadgets you have the more chance you have of something breaking. On a 2010 VW don't expect your neighbor who is handy and half a shade tree mechanic to be able to fix much on it either. The Germans are notorious for over engineering and over complicating things. They build good stuff but sometimes they over do it a little and when their stuff gets older it comes back to haunt you. Your local VW dealer will be your best friend and will be more than glad to add a helping hand for $$$$$. Fortunate for you it is a VW and you will probably grow tired of the car and sell it off before it takes a poop on you. The poor guys who get it after you will have to suffer the wraith and pay up or be left SOL!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Lol. I don't think he ever said he got another vw. Was just my guess.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,363,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
From what I understand, automatic parking brakes are more powerful than the traditional "pull up" kind, because they don't need human muscle power to engage.

What kind of are are we talking about here?
I think the comment had to do with the button, since it is going to be partly dependent on mechanical and electrical connections, which may have a greater probability of issues over time. The probability is likely to not be significantly greater, but any time you add more components that can fail, the probability of failure increases (even if slightly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive