Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:25 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,090,528 times

Advertisements

Yeah and it seems that it was not only 72-73... Buicks often seemed to be more "out there" than compared to Oldsmobiles of the same year. I always thought that the Buicks were a higher up model than the Oldsmobiles of the same trim, like a base Electra was a more costly car than the base Ninety-Eight, which it was most of the time, but during price research, there were times that the Ninety-Eight for certain years was more expensive than an equally optioned Electra, so Buick and Olds ran close in terms of price. If you look at the 59-60 GM cars, the Buick also had that more aggressive look as you say when compared to the 59-60 Oldsmobile. I used to own a 72 Electra 225 Custom 4dr (as I had posted a pic of in the other thread with my Grand Ville). That car was purchased brand new by a local doctor.... who was probably in his 40s at the time. The Oldsmobiles tended to draw the "older" folks, whereas Buick did as well, but sometimes reeled in the younger set, like you said that may have recently came into some money.

You know I like to illustrate, lol, so here are some pics of the cars in question.

1973 Buick Electra Limited.... they seemed to tone down the interior a bit on the 73 Limited versus the 71-72 Limited interior, which is seen on down below the 1971 Electra. Starting in 1972, Oldsmobile offered a ultra luxurious "Regency" option which added the pillow-like seats and door panels as seen below. The standard 98 interior (not seen here) was not quite as attactive/luxurious as the standard Electra interior, so Olds offered a wider range in 72-73. If my memory serves me... a 73 Olds 98 Regency was higher in price than a 73 Buick Electra Limited, but in 72, the Electra 225 Custom was higher in price than the 72 98 Luxury.

1973 Buick

1971 Buick

1973 Oldsmobile

1972 Oldsmobile

then here is the lower level interior on the Ninety-Eight... in 72...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 03:00 AM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Thanks for posting those photos, Tennesseestorm.

Look at that dark blue Buick in the first photo... some actual rear overhang! Unlike the chopped-off trunk of today's cars.

And the front seats of the '72 and '73 Buicks... now that is a comfortable front seat! Unlike the hard & thin seats so common these days.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,533,991 times
Default those Olds black velour interiors induce sleep

I picture myself in the Olds driving in a nasty cold blizzard in the warmth and serenity of a 98 with the heat up and those warm velour seats

I gotta admit, these cars have the New Yorkers beat when it comes to interiors

the Olds grille looks like the 73 Dodge Polara

Old 09-19-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Thanks for posting those photos, Tennesseestorm.

Look at that dark blue Buick in the first photo... some actual rear overhang! Unlike the chopped-off trunk of today's cars.

And the front seats of the '72 and '73 Buicks... now that is a comfortable front seat! Unlike the hard & thin seats so common these days.
Absolutely! Wish they still made em like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I picture myself in the Olds driving in a nasty cold blizzard in the warmth and serenity of a 98 with the heat up and those warm velour seats

I gotta admit, these cars have the New Yorkers beat when it comes to interiors

the Olds grille looks like the 73 Dodge Polara
Yeah, those upper trim levels of the Ninety-Eight and Electra were near Cadillac-like.

Agreed on the New Yorker Brougham interior.... while they were nice, they still were a notch below the luxury look of the Ninety-Eight Regency and Electra Limited - which were more in line with the top line Mopar, the Imperial.
here is a 73 New Yorker Brougham interior...

Oh, I wonder what kind of mileage this 73 Dodge Monaco wagon would get?

http://1.photos4.ebizautos.com/180/6066970/6066970_1_400.jpg (broken link)

Dodge: eBay Motors (item 330474264890 end time Sep-25-10 07:49:04 PDT)

Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 PM

Default you know the blue

vinyl ends surrounding the blue cloth looks no better and is virtually the same as our 71 Duster

now let me check out the great Dodge wagon, and why do these people always have the wrong set of hubcaps on that makes the car look cheaper?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:37 PM

Default that Dodge wagon's

upholstery looks in good condition, but ya know what, it weighs a ton more than our 71 Duster and the upholstery is virtually the same--our Duster came with a smoother more luxurious vinyl with a fold down center armrest and it basically resembles this Dodge wagon's. except that out Duster's seats had those rough vinyl sections whereas the Dodge Wagon's are all smooth vinyl

I think that's why some of these these Mopars were a bit less costly, look inside some of them!!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Default those hubcaps belong on a 69 or 70 Dodge

which were bland and bloodless. put on the 72-73 hubcaps that gave the car pizzaz, guys!!!

Now that Red New Yorker is nice with the black roof

looks like it was taken right around the start of fall of 72 I'd kill to live those days over again

if i had done better as a youth and young adult in school i'd be driving a new car and have a restored Mopar stashed away

Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
vinyl ends surrounding the blue cloth looks no better and is virtually the same as our 71 Duster

now let me check out the great Dodge wagon, and why do these people always have the wrong set of hubcaps on that makes the car look cheaper?
Yeah its about the only luxury car of that era has a vinyl/cloth seat... it looks like its 50% vinyl and 50% cloth... look at all of that cheap vinyl. Most cars of that status back then had a 100% plush cloth material on the seats and no vinyl areas, but this NY'er Brougham has a cloth and vinyl interior, which I think makes it look cheap... almost like they were cutting cost... definitely not up to par with its closest rivals, the Ninety-Eight and Electra and Marquis. I think even the 73 Ford LTD (not even the Brougham) had a nicer looking, more upscale looking interior than the 73 NY'er Brougham.

Yeah, those look like the hubcaps seen on the 69-70 Dodge, I could be wrong, but I dont know if these lingered until 1973 or not? ... if you look at the wagon on the bottom-left of this pic below, the hubcaps are different and this wagon on the ad dont have the "high-back" bucket seats (which were optional).

Quote:
upholstery looks in good condition, but ya know what, it weighs a ton more than our 71 Duster and the upholstery is virtually the same--our Duster came with a smoother more luxurious vinyl with a fold down center armrest and it basically resembles this Dodge wagon's. except that out Duster's seats had those rough vinyl sections whereas the Dodge Wagon's are all smooth vinyl

I think that's why some of these these Mopars were a bit less costly, look inside some of them!!
Yes, it looks like like the same material as the higher-end Dusters/Valiants seat material. I like these wagons, but personally, I think they overdid it on the woodgrain on those wagons... it went up on the upper areas of the car, surrounding the windows, which isnt appealing to me... I love woodgrain wagons, but that was too much of a good thing... overkill!

Quote:
which were bland and bloodless. put on the 72-73 hubcaps that gave the car pizzaz, guys!!!

Now that Red New Yorker is nice with the black roof

looks like it was taken right around the start of fall of 72 I'd kill to live those days over again

if i had done better as a youth and young adult in school i'd be driving a new car and have a restored Mopar stashed away
Yeah, I like that 73 New Yorker and that pic... looks like autumn of '72.... I didnt live in those days, but would not mind going back in time to live it for awhile.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 AM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Speaking of front seats, the front seat in the '66 Plymouth VIP I own surprised me in two ways...

1. The brochure says it is a cloth seat. I figured it would have a somewhat cheap look to it, but it doesn't. It may be cloth, but it's a high-quality cloth in which the stitching was done very well.

2. The thickness and softness of the seat. Very thick and comfortable. You sink down 4-6 inches when sitting on it! Very impressive! It is practically a couch in an automobile.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 AM

Very nice interior! Yes, I think Mopar did a better job in the 60s with making their cars more luxurious than they did on the upscale early 70s models. I know that the 66 Caprice and 66 LTD were very luxurious cars, but this top level 66 VIP is almost up right there with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Speaking of front seats, the front seat in the '66 Plymouth VIP I own surprised me in two ways...

1. The brochure says it is a cloth seat. I figured it would have a somewhat cheap look to it, but it doesn't. It may be cloth, but it's a high-quality cloth in which the stitching was done very well.

2. The thickness and softness of the seat. Very thick and comfortable. You sink down 4-6 inches when sitting on it! Very impressive! It is practically a couch in an automobile.
Interior of a 65 Caprice...

Interior of a 65 LTD...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive