Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times

Advertisements

I lost my change purse with my drivers license and address, my extra car key was in it. I am pretty sure it fell out when I parked the car by my house so they will know what my car looks like.
Should I have the locks changed? Will that mess up my locks?
Does anybody have any ideas what I should do about this?
I have it parked 4 blocks away and am a nervous wreck.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
If I am not mistaken you can have the remainder key re-programed. After this is done change the locks all around. Just because the missing key is disabled does not mean they can't get in the car manually.
What kind of car is it (year/model)?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Ask a mechanic about a quick and easy way to temporarily disable the car when you park it. I once had to park for a long time in a dubious place, and I just lifted the rotor out of the snap-off distributor and put it in the glove box, but you can't do that anymore. Here's one thought---find some kind of an easily removable plug that you can jam into the exhaust pipe, and then twist out. The car will run for about 5 seconds ,then cut out.

Changing the locks would cost a bundle. Assume that after a month or two, whoever found the key will lose interest. Meanwhile, try to disable the car. Most car thieves prefer to drive them away. Or maybe buy a club, but I'm not sure how well they deter thieves. Maybe not at all because I dont see them advertised anymore.

How long ago did this happen? I would estimate that 99% of the people who might have found it, would try to return it to you. It might be in the mail at this very moment.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-23-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
The Chevy dealer wanted 780.00 to change everything!
I bought the club and am hoping it works, it seems like it would and another mechanic told me about it.
I have been hiding it 5 blocks away and getting so tired of walking.
The exhaust thing sounds like a good idea too. Its been 3 days now. Maybe they will send it to me, I sure hope so. Its really terrible.
Thank you for the exhaust idea.
As far as the make, it is a 95 Chevy that I would not think anybody would want but the mechanic said they want them for the parts.
Thanks a lot.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
like anyoen find it will thorw everythign but the change away as they don't want to get causght with your DL on their person. You could check with a mechanic as there is a wire sends a signal that their is fuel pressure i the line so the engine will start. A simple toggle switch can be put under the dash in the line so it will not turnover unless turn on. Many alarms use the same wire to disable engine start.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I lost my change purse with my drivers license and address, my extra car key was in it. I am pretty sure it fell out when I parked the car by my house so they will know what my car looks like.
Should I have the locks changed? Will that mess up my locks?
Does anybody have any ideas what I should do about this?
I have it parked 4 blocks away and am a nervous wreck.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Have you considered that someone honest might have found the change purse and has turned it in to the police and you might be contacted very soon ?

I left my wallet in a pay phone , with my wedding rings , money and spare key. Someone was nice enough to bring it in the store and they returned it to me .

Okay : Assuming a bad guy picked it up and is waiting to steal your car, I too would rekey the car because I am sure you are not sleeping very well right now .

Old 09-24-2010, 04:34 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Yo How do you know if someone where to find the keys they would know which car to steal? Dont worry about it. Just make sure you have thief coverage on the car.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
A good tech can add a secret kill switch for under 25 bucks.
As 88 said a good tech can show you wires over a wide variety of places you could just take off and sort of hide.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
mag32gie, mag32gie, mag32gie,

I'm sorry that you're not having a good time with your car lately.

Look up a locksmith in your area that rekeys car locks.

It'll be cheaper than a dealer most likely.

No matter what though if the person who picked your now lost stuff knows what car it belongs to, they might give your car "a hard time" whether you install a starter kill, change or rekey the locks or put in an alarm.

The Club can be penetrated by a pro easily by cutting the steering wheel or spraying freon into the CLUB lock cylinder.

You live in or very near a city so really watch out.

I don't mean to scare you but it is what it is.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:56 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
I say just leave it alone. There is a very small chance someone is going to steal your car under these circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive