U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,629,645 times

Advertisements

Someone told me the reason why today's brake pads wear out so fast is because they're no longer made with asbestos. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,219,361 times
Brake pads are like boots, they all work but the more expensive ones last longer. Do not go cheap on pads and they will last longer.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,053,322 times
Asbestos hasn't been used in brake pads or shoes for many years. Since the fibers were found to possibly cause cancer and laws were passed to prevent it being used.
If you get the higher priced ceramic pads they last quite awhile. Or even the semi metallic ones that aren't as much as ceramic.
Driving habits are also a big factor in how long pads last.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,044,946 times
Get in the habit of thinking braked pads for economy. Wearing out a set of brake pads wastes gallons of gas, and the quicker you wear out your pads, the more gas you've used to do it.

When you accelerate to running speed, you are creating kinetic energy. When you step on the brakes, you waste that kinetic energy by converting it to heat instead of distance.

Learn to drive in such a way that you minimize your brake use. When you see a stop ahead, take your foot off the gas, and arrive at the stop sign using the kinetic energy of gas you've already burned. Instead of burning more gas, and just creating more heat with it by a harder stop.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 18,584,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Someone told me the reason why today's brake pads wear out so fast is because they're no longer made with asbestos. Is this true?
They lied to you. Wear on the brake pads depends mostly (but not only) on your driving habits and other factors.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,399,040 times
I use Wagner Thermo quiets in all our cars and they wear like iron.. Get at least 35-45k out of the fronts..

Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,044,946 times
The wear coefficient was not significantly affected by the elimiation of asbestos pads. That was not the advantage of asbestos. Asbestos was used because of its capacity to absorb and endure heat, so asbestos brakes did not fade under high temperature.

But for most drivers, that is not relevant, and one need not be concerned about high-temperature brake fade, unless pulling a heavy load or driving in mountains, where non-asbestos pads are more likely to be affected by fade.

The reason ceramic brakes are "quiet" is because their vibration frequency is above the human hearing range. Dogs probably hate them.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 AM

19,122 posts, read 22,164,133 times
I agree asbestos has been gone a long time, last I knew was no asbestos has been used after about 1975, if that. I was a mechanic then and still am now, but don't always work on cars now.

The dusts are still toxic, but not as toxic.

There are several kinds of pads, some are metalics which are hard and last longer, others are called organic, and tend to be softer wearing out faster.

In some cases there are choices, and when that i the case depending on the driver and the intended use of the car the harder and or softer make a difference.

Softer pads will wear out faster, but will reduce wear on rotors, where harder pads will last longer, but wear down rotors faster.

Softer pads can stop a car faster, so it depends on what you want, who you are and what your driving style is.

My driving style is easy, slow and laid back, and i avoid braking as much as possible. So I can use soft pads and make them last a good long time.

So far as I know the dusts from all pads are hydroscopic, which makes them corrosive to metals.

That means it's a good idea to get that dust off wheels and backing plates on occasions.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,466,525 times
I don't agree that today's pads wear out faster. Please show me some real data that makes that point.

In my experience brake pad life is highly variable. My 2006 Ridgeline has 75K miles on it and is still running on its original pads. I think they have another 10K of life. Our 2006 Pilot pads were replaced at 80K+. I put another set of Honda pads on it. I think pad life like that is oustanding.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM

19,122 posts, read 22,164,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't agree that today's pads wear out faster. Please show me some real data that makes that point.

In my experience brake pad life is highly variable. My 2006 Ridgeline has 75K miles on it and is still running on its original pads. I think they have another 10K of life. Our 2006 Pilot pads were replaced at 80K+. I put another set of Honda pads on it. I think pad life like that is oustanding.

Is this aimed at me? You are correct that brake pad life is highly variable. There can be no real world data. I have a 1981 motorcycle with the same pads in it now as it was purchased new with and they have 52,000 miles on them and are hardly worn at all.

My 85 car bought used has the same ft pads as i bought it with in 97, and I have put on over 150,000 on them, and it has the same clutch so far as I know with over 250,000 on that.

There is no real world data. Everybody drives a little different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive