Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 09:37 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

To be fair, not every state has 4 way stops. The first time i saw one I had no idea how to behave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
To be fair, not every state has 4 way stops. The first time i saw one I had no idea how to behave.
Really? Which states? I'd have thought they'd be everywhere.

What about when the traffic light is malfunctioning and flashing red all directions? Do you treat that as a 4-way?

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 09-29-2010 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 10:10 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
My theory about 4 way stops : When I approach one , I take a deep breath and relax letting all 3 other cars go and then I go.

There are too many hot headed quick to the pedal ppl who ALL want to go NOW at the 4 way.lol.. I just let them all go...no hurry to have them hit my car...

Sometimes you actually encounter pleasant people at the 4 way who signal you to go

Another poster mentioned horrible drivers in South Carolina. Not sure what part you were in but SC has some of the most courteous drivers I have EVER encountered.

They always let you out of a driveway to pull out into the street. Its considered rude here to HONK at other drivers and FEW drivers do it. When everyone is being pleasant on the roads , it rubs off , really it does

Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
The number one thing is people on the phone. Last night some fool changed lanes and cut me off because she was messing with the phone and not watching other cars.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM

110 posts, read 124,036 times
Oh I have one to add... people with Obama/Biden bumper stickers on their cars. Any time I see one of them, I know to stay away, because only someone with a massive sense of entitlement would put an Obama/Biden bumper stick on their car. They always drive like get the F out of my way.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
People who ride the brake going downhill when the road is about to go uphill. The momentum of going downhill will push you uphill! I'm talking perfectly safe downhills where there aren't turns or anything.

Also, people who let you go when they have the right of way. I know they're just trying to be polite but it makes things take longer. If you have the right of way, go!

Last edited by juppiter; 09-29-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I'm also a red light coaster. Take my foot off the gas and the light turns to green before I'm anywhere near braking. I'm saving your gas too you know!
I do this too. I've had people pass me before when I was doing it. I'm like, congratulations, you got to the red light sooo much faster than me. While you were in a rush to brake, I maintained momentum and am now further ahead of you.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
My theory about 4 way stops : When I approach one , I take a deep breath and relax letting all 3 other cars go and then I go.
If the guy across from you is turning right or going straight, and you're doing the same, then why not go at the same time? (that's just one example). Your theory just irritates others.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:25 PM

232 posts, read 632,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

There are too many hot headed quick to the pedal ppl who ALL want to go NOW at the 4 way.lol.. I just let them all go...no hurry to have them hit my car...

Sometimes you actually encounter pleasant people at the 4 way who signal you to go

Another poster mentioned horrible drivers in South Carolina. Not sure what part you were in but SC has some of the most courteous drivers I have EVER encountered.

They always let you out of a driveway to pull out into the street. Its considered rude here to HONK at other drivers and FEW drivers do it. When everyone is being pleasant on the roads , it rubs off , really it does

Maybe drive by what the law says for right of ways instead of making up your own rules. That way, everyone is on the same page as to what is expected. You think you're being polite, but you're being an unpredictable driver that will cause delays or worse, because your beliefs on being a "pleasant driver" are yours, not the law. Not the rules of the road we all learned and are expected to follow.

I just moved out of Hawaii and I guess they are really "courteous" there on the roads. People come to a complete stop in the middle of a road to allow others to enter. Nevermind it's a 45mph lane and they are coming to a complete stop out of the blue with others closing in on them doing 45mph or that the other oncoming traffic might not come to a stop, so we all just end up stopped while the person wanting to enter the lane decideds after a few minutes if it's actually safe to do so...because this is dangerous. Or worse, people get into accidants because other people are not doing what they are supposed to. You might think a speeder is a hothead and breaking the law, but you making up your own rules on right of ways is worse.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Really? Which states? I'd have thought they'd be everywhere.

What about when the traffic light is malfunctioning and flashing red all directions? Do you treat that as a 4-way?

Upper new England has no 4 ways stops that I am aware of. We have 2 kinds of traffic circles. The type off a interstate is larger and faster. The Portsmouth Circle is that larger type. Then we round about type which are small and designed to allow slow passing which works like a 4 way stop but isn't.

The first time I saw a 4 way stop was in Shepardstown W.Va. and I had no idea what I was to do. Once I got that idea it did it well, but getting it figured was an incial shock.

I stopped of course, but once I did I was all set to go, just not knowing the proper order of things.

I have gotten it wrong in other places too. In CT out in Winsor they put traffic lights way up in the sky. I ran several red lights in very light traffic and my buddy who lived asked me why I didn't stop at all

I said what lights, and he pointed at the next set way up high. I hadn't seen any of them. Once i did I commented on they must be for air craft they are way up high

Another place I had a bad problem was in Washington DC. I had paid to park at a meter near the Zoo. I had seen black boxes on posts, but didn't have any idea what they were. I returned to my cage 15 minutes befoe the time my parking ticket was written, which cost me 50 bucks. I read it pissing and moning since it was timed wrong, and as I pulled into traffic in the lane I had driven in suddenly everyone OUT BOUND was coming at me head on in my lane! Then these black boxes lit up and said the parking lane was now the In Bound lane i was pretty up set all the way around, I am still miffed about that ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive