U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 PM

797 posts, read 1,422,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Moving over to the slow lane only to be tailgated!
Driving through Dallas this happened quite a bit. There's 3 or 4 lanes and I'm in the middle and they tailgate me with the left lane wide open. They're mad because I'm only going 5-10 over the speed limit. The best is when they try to pass me on the right only to be blocked in by a driver going slower than I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 AM

9,842 posts, read 11,870,826 times
Those irritating drunk drivers who drive north in the south bound lanes..

Old 09-28-2010, 10:57 AM

319 posts, read 371,158 times
I know someone earlier metioned this before - but screaming past someone in the passing lane then only to cut across in front that same person to take an exit ramp always baffled me.

I had this happen to me just yesterday and that person got to the stop light at the end of the ramp about 1.7 seconds ahead of me. And traffic was very light and I had my turn signal on to indicate I was taking the exit.

Seriously, was it worth it?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:13 AM

51,661 posts, read 41,613,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Driving through Dallas this happened quite a bit. There's 3 or 4 lanes and I'm in the middle and they tailgate me with the left lane wide open. They're mad because I'm only going 5-10 over the speed limit. The best is when they try to pass me on the right only to be blocked in by a driver going slower than I am.
Yeah. Tailgating people in the slow lane is classless. I had a trucker tailgate me badly one night while driving home with my wife and 1 year old. I'd gotten a flat tire about 5 miles before and was driving on the "mini-spare" so was going AT the speedlimit.

I got the number off his truck and called them, guessing that was probably his last day of employment there.

Around here the major issues are:
1) 3 lanes but will only drive in the slow lane and don't make room for merging drivers. These people no doubt think they are "safe drivers" and I've been almost wrecked twice now by these idiots whom should either cruise in the middle lane or at least get over since there are some really short merges on the freeways around here.

2) Texters and Cell phone talkers....really, they are as bad as drunk drivers around here.

We have the other usual jerks but those 2 are local problems.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:18 AM

51,661 posts, read 41,613,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
These are the same people who can't seem to stay off the phone while they think they are grocery shopping. All you are doing is gabbing on the phone and blocking the shelves with your shopping cart. Please do your multi-tasking on your own time, not mine.
LOL. The 300lb people that walk along side their shopping cart are truly enjoyable. When they fill the entire aisle so that you can't even get past from the oncoming direction is a real treat.

I saw tons of this at costco this weekend. Waddlers waddling alongside the cart creating a blockage wider than if someone just drove their SUV up and down the aisles.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,963,209 times
I'm on the road almost all the time so this thread is fun for me to read. I have to agree with almost everyones irritations. I think that there are the same good and bad drivers everywhere. And that the worst irritation is probably the left (number 1) lane drivers who hold up, slow up and generally make it difficult for drivers with a higher sense of urgency to get their routes done or others just trying to keep up a higher miles per hour average because their livelihood depends on it.

To me, driving is not a leisure activity unless you're on some deserted back road somewhere and no one behind you. Driving is hard work and should be the only thing you're doing at the time. When I hear someone say that they always do this or never do that when describing their own driving techniques, it make me cringe. The dynamics of traffic change constantly between the road you're on, time of day, light-intermediate-or-heavy traffic and weather. A really good driver to me is one that drives the conditions and goes with the flow. And always looks behind in their rear view and being aware that the vehicles behind are as important as the cars ahead. I'll call it Driving 360.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:39 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,161,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Just got back from a trip through Kentucky, Tennessee and both Carolinas. Close to 2000 miles.

All I can say is holy crap

I think I witnessed everything listed in this thread plus a whole lot more.

I always said Indiana or Ohio had the worst drivers but now I think South Carolina holds that honor.
Childs play. Try Boston and if you live, try Montreal. Hint: In Montreal the side walks are open game for driving.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:05 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,864,883 times
This may have already been mentioned but why do people constantly switch from one lane to another in traffic, passing maybe one car only to switch back to the original lane? Then it starts over as soon as they have an another opening to pass again.

Just stay your ass in one lane and get there a minute or two later.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM

2,698 posts, read 9,910,605 times
In general, I just don't like when people are inconsiderate. This manifets itself in so many ways, including:

1. Not observing the 'Slower Traffic Keep Right' rule (i.e. hogging the left lane).

2. Not turning off hi-beams with oncoming traffic.

3. No getting up to freeway speed by the end of an on-ramp that has LOADS of room.

4. Leaving a gas pump unattended. Nothing more irritating than waiting behind a car that finished pumping 5 minutes ago and having to wait for the owner to come back out with a Slurpee in hand. Pump first, then move your car and go in.

5. Not understanding right-of-way laws or that letting other people go, while kind, can cause more harm than good.

6. Not being able to hold a constant speed on a freeway that is empty enough to use cruise. These are also the same people who drive not by the speed on the dial but by their relationship to you. You speed up, they speed up. Enfuriating.

7. Corolla drivers. Enough said.

Seriously, just think of the other guy every once in a while. A little bit of consideration makes it easier for everyone.

Mike

Old 09-29-2010, 08:05 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,864,883 times
A few more

1.People who are clueless at a 4-way stop. Either they have to be first through no matter what or they just sit there, til they get the urge to go.

2. The speed up-slow down guy. He can't seem to hold a steady speed so you pass him. That ticks him off and he passes you back. And it goes on and on...

3. The guy who turns on his signal and starts coming over, clear or not. It's like 'Here I come, get out of my way'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or