U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:12 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
People who don't move up in the intersection when they have a green light and are turning left.
Thank you lisalan!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE that!

Take control of the dang intersection or turn it around and go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,343,630 times
oh, another thing I just remembered...I HATE it when you're on a one-lane freeway onramp (as most of them are), and you're stuck behind someone accelerating ever so slowly as they merge into the flow of traffic, which happens to be going 20-30 mph faster. Not only is this annoying, but it's also very unsafe. If you're entering a 70 mph freeway at 50 mph, you're as much of a danger as someone going 90 on the same freeway.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:40 PM

4,641 posts, read 5,338,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
One thing that irritates me is to get behind someone who's coming up on a red light or stopped traffic and they start slowing down about a half-mile before they have to stop and then just creep up on the car ahead of them at about 1 mph for the last hundred or so feet. Just get there and stop.
It's a red light - what's the hurry? Why burn more gas than you need to?

"Just get there and stop" is just a version of "Hurry up and wait", and I had plenty of that in the Army!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:41 PM

10,091 posts, read 35,789,338 times
Then there is the guy today....who on a 55 mph, major highway, decides to slam on the brakes while in the left hand lane, because there is a Police Officer on the side of the road giving a ticket. Surely, if 55 is good, lets do 35, which would be even better!

Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM

114 posts, read 228,464 times
People who don't know how to use a traffic circle. Too many stop and wait for all of the lanes to be empty.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:37 PM

51,054 posts, read 29,133,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
oh, another thing I just remembered...I HATE it when you're on a one-lane freeway onramp (as most of them are), and you're stuck behind someone accelerating ever so slowly as they merge into the flow of traffic, which happens to be going 20-30 mph faster. Not only is this annoying, but it's also very unsafe. If you're entering a 70 mph freeway at 50 mph, you're as much of a danger as someone going 90 on the same freeway.
Some people just don't realize that it's called An Acceleration Lane for a reason. When somebody uses that lane going 20 MPH slower than traffic they're going to merge with, it's also an indication that they're going to drive 20 MPH slower than the speed limit. Most often, I see people going 10 MPH slower than the speed limit, but once in a while, I'll see somebody going 20 below the limit, even when there's hardly any traffic ahead of them. To me, if the speed limit is 65/75, and you want to drive 20 MPH below the limit, don't use the freeway, use surface streets!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,313,440 times
Quote:
One thing that irritates me is to get behind someone who's coming up on a red light or stopped traffic and they start slowing down about a half-mile before they have to stop and then just creep up on the car ahead of them at about 1 mph for the last hundred or so feet. Just get there and stop.

It's most likely the same people who, in stop and go traffic, keep 20 or more car lengths between them and the car just ahead.

The left lane hog thing has been beat to death, so what else you got?
People, mostly elderly and women who have a sub compact car and swing clear over the center line and hang a wide turn over correcting like it was a 18 wheeler with a 102" and a 53'. Are you effing kidding me? lol

Old 09-15-2010, 07:42 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times
Quote:

It's most likely the same people who, in stop and go traffic, keep 20 or more car lengths between them and the car just ahead.

The left lane hog thing has been beat to death, so what else you got?
When I see traffic ahead at a stop or the light has turned red ahead I then take my foot off the gas to coast. I do this to help save gas. Also, if I time the light right, I'll still be moving when the light turns green. Takes more gas to start from a dead stop than it does if the car is already moving. I don't do 20 car lengths but I think you're exagerating the amount of car lengths. Get your state's driver instruction manual and re-learn the car lengths per MPH. A pretty good way to gage the safe distance is the one thousand three method. Car ahead of you passes a sign, you count 1001, 1002, 1003. You should not pass that same sign before reaching 1003. This distance will give you ample time to hard brake should the vehicle ahead of you come to a quick stop.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,313,440 times
People with the horny horn. You know, you are sitting at a red light and the guy behind you keeps blowing his horn! The light is still red, where do you want me to go bud? This continues...... honk....honk....honk. Blow it out your a** hammerhead! lol

Old 09-15-2010, 07:49 PM

222 posts, read 674,751 times
People who drive at 20 mph below the speed limit on a one way road holding up traffic a mile long, kinda like my husband's dad Or slamming on the brakes when the light turns yellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or