Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
* People who stop at intersections when they don't have a stop sign. So, I sit there at my stop sign looking at them like they are stupid.
That's one that I forgot! Thanks for reminding me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:39 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
When I see traffic ahead at a stop or the light has turned red ahead I then take my foot off the gas to coast. I do this to help save gas. Also, if I time the light right, I'll still be moving when the light turns green. Takes more gas to start from a dead stop than it does if the car is already moving. I don't do 20 car lengths but I think you're exagerating the amount of car lengths. Get your state's driver instruction manual and re-learn the car lengths per MPH. A pretty good way to gage the safe distance is the one thousand three method. Car ahead of you passes a sign, you count 1001, 1002, 1003. You should not pass that same sign before reaching 1003. This distance will give you ample time to hard brake should the vehicle ahead of you come to a quick stop.
And while you're playing "time the light", you're backing up traffic behind you. I see it every day. There's a rural highway I drive on that has a lot of traffic in the mornings and ends at an intersection with a light where you have to turn either right or left. In the mornings traffic can back up as far as a half-mile at this intersection. There's always someone trying to time the light just right so they won't have to stop (riding their brake pedal the whole way-there goes the saving on brake pads theory). They may or may not make it but while they were playing, they've kept up to ten cars from making the green light.So while they've saved a fraction of a cent on gas, they've also caused another group of cars to have to sit and wait for the light to cycle back to green instead of getting on down the road. Explain to me how that saves gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
With you there. My wife laughs at me using my turn signal in a store parking lot like Walmart. I tell her I do this for two reasons; 1. to keep in the habit of always using my turn signal and 2. to let the idiots (drivers and walkers) know where I'm going and what I'm doing.
That's another annoyance for me. If you're setting in a turning lane where you have to turn, why the signal? Nothing like being behind someone for a full light cycle with their signal just flashing away in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I bet you go through brake pads often.
Not really. I'd bet that pads would last longer if you'd just go on and stop rather than riding the pedal, creeping up on stopped traffic.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:02 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
OK, I'll be the bad guy. Tractor-Trailer drivers tailgate other trucks until you get near, then pull out in front and do a slow-speed roadblock while they try to pass, staying side by side for miles. I tow trailers in cruise control. These trucks pull beside me at the bottom of a hill, then ride side-by-side with me, unable to pass. Eventually, they swerve to scare me out of their way, pushing me over to get back in before clearing. If you listen to the CB radio, you'll hear them say, "this &^%* riding beside me won't let me over!"

Old 09-16-2010, 09:36 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
And while you're playing "time the light", you're backing up traffic behind you. I see it every day. There's a rural highway I drive on that has a lot of traffic in the mornings and ends at an intersection with a light where you have to turn either right or left. In the mornings traffic can back up as far as a half-mile at this intersection. There's always someone trying to time the light just right so they won't have to stop (riding their brake pedal the whole way-there goes the saving on brake pads theory). They may or may not make it but while they were playing, they've kept up to ten cars from making the green light.So while they've saved a fraction of a cent on gas, they've also caused another group of cars to have to sit and wait for the light to cycle back to green instead of getting on down the road. Explain to me how that saves gas.
Actually because you are already up and moving when the light changes you get through the light faster. I don't ride the brake at all doing this, I only need to lightly tap the brake as I get to the light if it hasn't changed.

If people behind me think they are somehow going to get the light to change any faster by being right up under it before it's anywhere near time for it to change then they are delusional.

Oh and that's another one - people that are halfway through the intersection by the time the light goes green. Just ignore the red light and go if you're really so important!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 AM

And those that get irate because you didn't go through on red so they can't either! Are you going to pay my ticket? No. So get over it!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I have to agree its the uptight;angry drivers that i hate to ride with. They must be very unhappy to always be that uptight about little things I think. I just refuse to get angry over such monor things really.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:55 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Actually because you are already up and moving when the light changes you get through the light faster. I don't ride the brake at all doing this, I only need to lightly tap the brake as I get to the light if it hasn't changed.
And there's the problem. You get through the light faster but what about those ten cars you've held up behind you that didn't make the green light and have to wait because you were holding up traffic?

Now it's your turn to say if you're in such a hurry, leave earlier. Then I say I'm in no hurry, I'd just rather be moving than sitting still.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
OK, I'll be the bad guy. Tractor-Trailer drivers tailgate other trucks until you get near, then pull out in front and do a slow-speed roadblock while they try to pass, staying side by side for miles. I tow trailers in cruise control. These trucks pull beside me at the bottom of a hill, then ride side-by-side with me, unable to pass. Eventually, they swerve to scare me out of their way, pushing me over to get back in before clearing. If you listen to the CB radio, you'll hear them say, "this &^%* riding beside me won't let me over!"
ESFP, I resemble that remark... I have a 65-mph governed truck and it irritates me, too. Especially when the guy you're passing won't take off his cruise for a second to help you out. I do it all the time and I'm never late with a load.

If you haven't heard, the American Trucking Associations is making noise about a proposal to govern ALL trucks at 65 mph. (never mind that every engine today can already be set that way now...) They want to eliminate competition from non-member carriers and they're trying to sell it in the name of "safety". I GUARANTEE that, if it passes, Glenn Beck's gathering in Washington will look like a family picnic compared to the number of people that will upset enough to march on D.C...

Speaking of tractor trailers, my nominee for "D.A. Driver of the Day" (Professional Division) is the flat bed trucker ahead of me this morning on a highway off-ramp that was under construction. Despite being dark and raining, Ray Charles coulda seen the four orange barrels blocking the right side of the ramp where it joins the highway below. AND the highway crew paved a shoulder MORE than wide enough to use in a buttonhook turn to get around the barrels. Our Intrepid Driver pulls up right next to the barrels and, when the light turns green, makes his right turn over the barrels. One is flattened, two are ejected from under his trailer and lay in the roadway. The last one exits from under his trailer right in the turn lane at the truck stop entrance. I get around it only because I have a day cab. (shorter truck tractor). Of course, there was no legible name on tractor or trailer and he was gone before I could get across traffic to the truck stop's driveway...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 09-16-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
And there's the problem. You get through the light faster but what about those ten cars you've held up behind you that didn't make the green light and have to wait because you were holding up traffic?

Now it's your turn to say if you're in such a hurry, leave earlier. Then I say I'm in no hurry, I'd just rather be moving than sitting still.
Again you're not understanding. I am back with the flow of traffic in front of me way before getting to the light because I didn't have to set back off from a stop. If you were observing the driver in front of you and responding as you should then so would you. If however you are insisting on being a jerk and riding my tail while overusing your gas and brake, then of course when I set off you are not able to do the same. Your attempt to bully me into going faster than I need or want to backfires on you, and the other drivers behind you.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:23 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
Pardon the list format but here are my driving annoyances:

• People who can't hold a steady speed on the freeway
  • Those who hog up the left lane
  • People who speed up when you try to pass them
  • Driving with front and/or rear fog lights on for no reason
  • Driving with high beams on in traffic or when they have a low beam bulb blown
  • Only one working brake light
  • Not signaling
  • Stopping to let pedestrians cross the street when you've got the green light
There are others but this is the list of my major pet peeves....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive